Author Topic: RadioHead - Merriweather Post Pavilion  (Read 41326 times)

thatguy

• Global Moderator
Re: RadioHead - Merriweather Post Pavilion
« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2003, 02:37:00 pm »
i hear a weird buzzing outside my window.  what do swarms of locusts sound like?

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #76 on: August 20, 2003, 02:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by bunnyman:
  I don't fucking care at this point. If they came out and did an hour of uninterrupted music that included "Climbing Up the Walls", "Street Spirit", "Optimistic", and "There There", I'd be a VERY happy camper.  I've waited so long for this!
Yeah. Any amount of time is worth it. And over 2 hours is still a great set! I can't wait to hear the roar when they walk out on stage.

mankie

« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2003, 02:48:00 pm »
My wife just emailed me to say there's still tickets available. I told her I'd go if she really wanted to, but she said not really, she was just seeing if I wanted to go...anyway, evidently it's not sold out...I think Thom's grandma can't make it so they've made her section for sale or something.

markie

« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2003, 02:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:
  My wife just emailed me to say there's still tickets available.
I thought they sold out years ago?

mankie

« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2003, 03:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by Anton Newcombe:

Originally posted by mankie:
  My wife just emailed me to say there's still tickets available.
I thought they sold out years ago? [/b]
:D

myuman

« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2003, 11:33:00 pm »
Good show.... Heard Creep.  Was starting to dread each time Thom rolled the piano out.  Can't get over how lousy a pavillion is for a band like this and of course the home equity loan I needed to take out for a blasted soda.  I was denied the amount for a beer and was laughed at when I mentioned a T-shirt.

eros

« Reply #81 on: August 20, 2003, 11:50:00 pm »
Agree it was great, but....

what kind of rock show ends at 9:45???
ʎɐʍou

d.c.1

« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2003, 02:31:00 am »
very sterile.  very anti-climactic.  how long was that show?  maybe 80 minutes?  $40 to stand in the heat to watch thom yorke on the jumbotron for just over an hour?  i can't help but feel a little cheated.

anybody remember the radiohead show at 9:30 club back in 97 (or was it 98?)?  did like three encores.  played their hearts out.  this was extremely sedate and impersonal by comparison.

but whatever.  thousands of fans ate it up.  and the big music industry machine will chug on. . .

Epstein

• http://www.hit-dat.com
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2003, 03:16:00 am »
i totally agree with the post above

i do feel a bit ripped off
Kill the sound: <A HREF="Http://www.hit-dat.com" TARGET=_blank>http://Http://www.hit-dat.com[/url]

distance

« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2003, 05:51:00 am »
you feel ripped off?
 i live 144 miles from the venue and that 144 miles took me _5_ hours.
 i missed half the show.
 parking was not sufficient for the venue, nor was it very clearly marked.. they directed us into a parking deck that was already full.

i would have to say that merriweather was one of the most uncomfortable amphitheatres i've ever been to.

i also commented on the early ending time.  i've gone to shows where doors opened hours later than this show ended.

i think also that security was a bit over-done.  i asked for a cavity search when coming in the gate, but the guy didn't seem to be all that interested.  inside it was a bit annnoying too.. not as annoying as the last time i was at the tweeter center in camden (where they were shining flashlights down the rows at people who were sitting down), but still...

that was by far the most ridiculous security i've seen at a radiohead show.  there wasn't 1/4 of that at the montreal show and there were no problems there.  as much as i complained about the montreal venue basically just being a field, i think that it allowed everyone a better view, the sound was a LOT better there and it wasn't so ridiculously hot.  not to mention, i think general admission is a lot better for this kind of show.  i would gladly take my spot behind the board i was standing at in montreal over the 7th row ticket i had for merriweather.

over the years, it seems like the more often i see radiohead, the less i enjoy the show.
 and that certainly didn't make up for what happened in 2001.  i'm wondering if they are _really_ going to reschedule the toronto show... as i also had tickets for that and was up there for it..  luckily i was in quebec the whole time the power was out.

if there hadn't been a few uncommon songs in the half of the show that i got to see, i would have been really pissed off that i didnt just eat the $100+ for my two tickets and stayed home.  i still dont know if i feel like it would have been better to stay home or not.

sonickteam2

« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2003, 08:34:00 am »
Well, everyone is a pissy pants.  I thought the show was fucking wonderful.        
    I guess i didnt have any big ordeals with getting there, or get all worked up because the beer was way expensive. yeah, I bought 2-24oz Coronas for $22!!!! Its ok, because i did get to see the greatest band of our day play one hell of a set.  It was actually 110 minutes that they played (7:45-9:35) And they played Just which made my night, and Creep, which although it is what it is, is the song that made me go out and buy that first Radiohead CD in 1992.
    Me and three of my best friends were down in Row K where all the people around us were LOVING IT.  It was heaven, Thom was crazy as ever and I really think the guys played hard and loved the reception they got from the crowd.
     Maybe i am just not old enough to get it, but i have been going to shows on a consistent basis since 1988 and I could NOT have asked for anything more.

made up for 2001?  who cares anymore, that show fucking rocked.

saturngrl

« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2003, 08:48:00 am »
could someone post the play list?  i did not get there till Creep was just ending, and was wondering what i missed?  What i saw of the show was amazing though.  It made the 3 hour trip from Alexandria worth it.

lily1

« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2003, 08:55:00 am »
bunnyman was front row and will post a set list.

we had a great time where we were in row aa. we had little trouble getting to and from the venue. and oddly enough, that's the second time that things have gone smoothly for me at merriweather. i thought the sound was decent, not great, but decent and that the band's energy on stage was great.

my only complaint (and there is always a complaint when radiohead plays dc) was that the show was under 2 hours. i was hoping for 2.5 hours, but the hour and 50 minutes was pure bliss. so i'm just  glad the locusts, earthquakes, hurricanes, lightening, hepatitis, etc, all held off last night.

sonickteam2

« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2003, 08:56:00 am »
setlist:
 01 the gloaming
 02 2+2=5
 03 sit down. stand up
 04 where i end and you begin
 05 airbag
 06 pyramid song
 07 paranoid android
 08 a wolf at the door
 09 sail to the moon
 10 you and whose army
 11 there there
 12 go to sleep
 13 dollars and cents
 14 we suck young blood
 15 idioteque
 16 creep
 17 the national anthem

Encore #1:
 18 i will
 19 myxomatosis
 20 just
 21 how to disappear completely

Encore #2:
 22 no surprises
 23 everything in its right place

jadetree

« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2003, 09:04:00 am »
Originally posted by saturngrl:
  could someone post the play list?  i did not get there till Creep was just ending, and was wondering what i missed?  What i saw of the show was amazing though.  It made the 3 hour trip from Alexandria worth it.
7 out of 23 songs was worth it?