Author Topic: it's my party  (Read 36718 times)

Re: it's my party
« Reply #150 on: March 08, 2002, 04:02:00 pm »
anybody else going to Sandra Bernhard's party tonight?<P>   No, I'll be spending the evening with my girlfriend. No doubt she's much better company than that hag, or any self-absorbed rock stars.

scumpond

« Reply #151 on: March 08, 2002, 04:31:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Seth Hurwitz:<BR><B> which other post?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>He means the Seth "Hurtz" post.  I think.  Who cares.

Medic

« Reply #152 on: March 09, 2002, 02:06:00 am »
So I'm at Sandra Bernhard's party tonight, where I ran into none other than Mr. Seth Hurwitz.  We regaled each other with tales, and perspectives of the night of the surprise Radiohead show (Twas the Night O' Radiohead).  Seth encouraged to me offer my- the humble security officer's point of view of that evening here, on the message board to all of you wonderful people.<P>     Yes it was a rainy Saturday night. I believe it was somewhere between 9, and 10.  I was out in the alley chatting with a fellow security mate about the previous night's Chilli Pepper performance- and about the upcoming Millennium event later that night.  <BR>    <BR> I was summoned by radio to the office by my Crew Chief Rafael.  It was at this time I was informed of the change of plans for the night.  We were currently hosting a private party for the Washington City Paper (as I so vividly recall), and were way understaffed (hence ill prepared) for the event which was now heading our way.  Long story short (too late)...  <BR>    <BR>     We completely changed speeds in a heartbeat! Stages were moved, barricades erected, lighting tresses adjusted-  I was even impressed how the entire Staph of the club pushed together to cram from one type of event to something else entirely.  The most difficult part was informing the 200-300 people who showed up for Millennium that there was no such event on that night- and grooves would have to be gotten on elsewhere.  <BR>     All in all the fortitude of the club Staph was challenged, and met with the greatest of ease (seemingly); and the least amount of bellyaching ever recorded by staph at the club.<P>Hopefully this will quench your desires for the Night O' Radiohead until Seth delivers his next installment.  <BR>Peace~<P>[This message has been edited by Medic (edited 03-09-2002).]<p>[This message has been edited by Medic (edited 03-09-2002).]

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #153 on: March 09, 2002, 06:11:00 am »
here's my version:<P>i worked a long, hard day at ye olde piercing shoppe, and then made my way home.  i had heard on the radio that lightning had struck at rfk, so before removing my boots and curling up with a good book and some sleepy time tea, i checked my messages in case something cool was happening at the club.  lo and behold, there was a frantic message telling me that radiohead was playing the club and to "get my ass down here now!"  <P>i called the club to get the details and to see if they still needed me, since it had been a little while since the message was left.  some intern answered the phone and i told them i had been called in, and asked if i was still needed.  "hold on, lemme check."  <P>about a millisecond later, holly picks up the line and says: "get your ass down here now!"  notice a theme?  <P>so, i hopped in my truck and proceeded to speed, run red lights, and break many other laws to make the 30 minute drive from my house to the club in about 15 minutes.  i screeched around the corner, saw a line of about eleventy billion people wrapping around the street, and barely let the truck stop before i jumped out, ready to work.  then i stood around for at least an hour before anything happened.  good thing i rushed.<P>i then spent most of the rest of the night letting in monks, not letting in a whole lot of people (the millenium boys were very understanding), and turning down more money in bribes than i made that entire year, not to mention the sex, drugs, and other offers i refused.    <BR>

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #154 on: March 09, 2002, 09:57:00 am »
Twas The Night O'Radiohead<P>this was one of those deals where you just don't even want to think about it or you'll jinx it. my wife is perhaps the biggest Radiohead fan I know and every time she'd start to say "that would be just too outrageous, wouldn't that be..." SHHHHHH!!! STOP IT - YOU'RE GOING TO BLOW IT!!! <P>I am a firm believer in not talking about things until they're real. I suppose that's mostly superstition, but I can't tell you how many great shows have gone away because I mentioned them before they were done. or football games I bet on that went down the drain because I told somebody I was about to win. so I just went on eating my barbecue and trying to think about things like sports or something, lest I get too excited (does that remind you of anything?).<P>ahem<P>anyway, the way we had left it with them was that they were indeed serious, and they were going to have a band meeting at 8 and get back to us. <P>at 8:30 the phone rang.<P>"Hi, Seth, this is Brian"<P>hi Brian. how's it going?<P>"pretty good. they're all still pretty shook up about this whole lightning thing"<P>uh huh. did you have your meeting?<P>"well, actually, we're in the middle of that now"<P>alright. and how's it looking?<P>"well, I think the band would like to do this"<P>and...?<P>"they were really disappointed that they couldn't play"<P>but...?<P>"so let's do it"<P>OK, now I could talk about it.<P>to be continued...<p>[This message has been edited by Seth Hurwitz (edited 03-09-2002).]

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #155 on: March 09, 2002, 01:02:00 pm »
Dupek, I'm one of the people who like you. Never gave you the slightest bit of trouble when you got bombed over the Bin Laden picture. Didn't bother me in the least but kept my mouth shut in respect of those who were offended. But this time, I'm going to be the one to say it.<P>FUCK OFF!

markie

« Reply #156 on: March 09, 2002, 02:11:00 pm »
Dupek,<P>I love you. No I really do. But errr that wasnt funny. I moaned at you before, but recently almost everyone of your posts has made me chuckle.(HA Ha)<P>But if you dont want to hear the story why tune in. I want to hear stories about the club and music, thats why I am here....<P>Please dont Fuck Off, just go back to making me laugh....<P>

poorlulu

« Reply #157 on: March 09, 2002, 09:48:00 pm »
hey you two,<P>stop ganging up on on dupek hes a hunny.<P>i thought he was funny but then im so sad i would like to know about nelly fritatas flow so what do i know?

AZ kid

« Reply #158 on: March 10, 2002, 12:32:00 am »
Someone PLEASE READ ONE OF THE 2 POSTINGS AFTER THIS ONE thanks, I realy don't want to be all cooped up in a hotel room all night. thanks.<P>

poorlulu

« Reply #159 on: March 10, 2002, 01:57:00 am »
i dont understand what you mean?<P>read my own post?<P>ehmm?

poorlulu

« Reply #160 on: March 10, 2002, 02:00:00 am »
dupek,<P>i was going to ask you out for a drink sometime........now im not so sure.<P>it does explain your teriable taste in beer though........kaliber it probably tastes the same right?

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #161 on: March 10, 2002, 09:30:00 am »
Twas The Night O'Radiohead...<P>I don't recall there being much discussion about it, but everyone just assumed that we would just let everyone in with ticket stubs from that day's Tibet show. we called HFS and told them to get ready to make a big announcement at 10 PM.<P>I listened to the radio on the way down to the club. if you can believe this, I had actually started having anxiety about whether the word would get out and enough people would show up. but, of course, when I pulled up people were going nuts. just coming in from all directions, feeling incredibly fortunate that they had even heard about it but now maybe starting to panic that they might not actually get in. so near yet so far, etc. that was the fastest forming line I've ever seen. it was like one of those film clips where you see an egg breaking played backwards and everything gathers instead of scatters. the line just formed - whooosh.<P>everything was in order, though, thanks to the staff, which I must discuss at this point.<P>truly one of those most amazing things about owning the 930 Club is getting to see these people operate. they are unfuckingbelievable. I mean, I think I made one phone call to whoever I got a hold of first, and the rest all happens. 8:30 that night they get told they need to put a Radiohead show on, and they put a Radiohead show on. I wish everybody could see this. the Pentagon would send people to study it if they knew.<P>so, first thing I do is walk up and down the line and the best part,as usual, is seeing how excited people are and trying to imagine how excited I'd be if I were one of them. which isn't too hard in this particular case. so this is getting really good, because people are just freaking.<P>now, I'm thinking, well let's remember this is rock and roll and things don't always happen the way they're supposed to. I better make sure this one still is. because you never know with a band like Radiohead (although I've come to know them now as very responsible). some bands that do things like this (Prince, for example) like to get everything ready and THEN decide if they really feel like playing. Chad had told me earlier that the quipment really did show up as promised and that it looked like a real gig. but, being one of those types that would never believe in UFO's until I see one for myself, I still wasn't absolutely convinced. so I went inside.<P>and there were road equipment cases marked Radiohead. and then I knew this was really going to happen.<P>to be continued...<BR>

« Reply #162 on: March 10, 2002, 10:31:00 am »
God, you'd think it was the fucking Beatles or something...it's just Radiohead...

AZ kid

« Reply #163 on: March 10, 2002, 10:38:00 am »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by poorlulu:<BR><B>i dont understand what you mean?<P>read my own post?<P>ehmm?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>No, I meant my posts. sorry i wasn't more clear in my wording.<BR>

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #164 on: March 10, 2002, 02:33:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rhett Miller:<BR><B>God, you'd think it was the fucking Beatles or something...it's just Radiohead...</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>you know, I tend to agree with you but Radiohead fans are about as devoted as I've ever seen and they wanted to hear this story.<P>plus, it was a really exciting night, and there are VERY few bands that have gotten that big and maintained complete integrity - Pearl Jam being one of the bigger disappointments - and this was a prime example. they just wanted to play. not a money thing, not for the headlines - they just wanted to play.<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Seth Hurwitz (edited 03-10-2002).]