Author Topic: Morrissey  (Read 32132 times)

Frank Gallagher

Re: Morrissey
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2007, 05:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by wanderlust j. marshmallow:
  i probably wont make it (a little sick). Anyone need a rams head ticket for half price? $30. I'm in Bethesda (NIH area)
I'd have to be dead to miss a Morrissey show - but that's just me.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2007, 05:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by le sonick:

Originally posted by Shemp:
  So who's dressing up as what tonight?
i'll be dressed up as a guy trying to not let crazy Morrissey fans onstage.

i'll be the skinny shaggy haired guy who will look like the easiest one to get past.

not only that, i cut off my goatee so i look even LESS menacing! [/b]
After years of watching Scooby Doo, I know only too well not to fuck with the skinny shaggy haired guy!!!!

If any Moz fan does 'bring it on' though, just keep a 1/2lb rib eye in your back pocket to wave at them and that should take care of the problem

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2007, 06:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by Roadbike Mankie:

i probably wont make it (a little sick). Anyone need a rams head ticket for half price? $30. I'm in Bethesda (NIH area)
I'd have to be dead to miss a Morrissey show - but that's just me. [/b]
my thoughts exactly. i was so sick at the saturday show - had the flu or something - so just came into catch his set. the next night - was/am still sick but still camped out early so i could be right up front. i felt better the entire time when he was playing. the after effects have not been good, and just remember - youll sleep when youre dead.
HeyLa

Sage 703

« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2007, 06:42:00 pm »
Nice article on Post.com about this:

November Spawned a Mozzer

Last week, as I was sifting through the hundreds of e-mails that greeted me upon my return from a week of vacation, I found one that especially caught my eye: "$35 Tickets Released for Morrissey at DAR Constitution Hall!" A year or so ago I would have thought nothing of it. "Still way too much," probably would have been my reaction. And that's not just a slight to Morrissey -- there are very few acts out there that I would consider paying $35 to see. (Update: Forget $35! An e-mail just landed in my inbox saying that $20 tickets to Friday's show will go on sale Thursday at 10 a.m.) But that all changed a few months ago on a beautiful summer night at Wolf Trap.

I like Brit-pop heroes the Smiths just fine, even if I don't understand the crazed devotion that the band still inspires to this day. (Chalk it up to dreaded '80s production that makes much of what was released that decade borderline unlistenable to me.) That crazed devotion transferred to Morrissey's solo career, where his legions now see him as a major deity. And while I can't say I'm a full-fledged member of the Cult of the Moz, as I walked out of Wolf Trap that night all I could think to myself was: "Now I get it." Rarely have I been so moved by a show. Granted, expectations may have played a large role in this. The performance almost didn't happen since Morrissey was suffering from vocal problems; the previous four shows had been canceled and the following three ended up not happening, either. But Morrissey hardly seemed under the weather that Monday night. As I wrote in my review of the show: "The pompadoured Pope of Mope's dramatic croon wasn't flawless, but it was close enough. There were a few times when he did seem to be laboring, clutching at his chest with an almost pained look on his face. But then again maybe he was just, you know, being Morrissey."

Lots of performers try to cultivate some sort of magnetism while up on stage, but for Morrissey it just comes naturally. To his legions this goes without saying, but I was a skeptic until I witnessed it in person. You really can't take your eyes off him when he's up there singing like only he can, using the microphone chord as a lasso, accepting gifts from audience members, etc. Wolf Trap is almost exclusively a calm and serene setting for a show, but Morrissey was able to inspire small pockets of mayhem just by his presence. And it should also be noted that on a purely musical level, the show was remarkable. The Moz's current five-piece backing band packs quite a punch, so don't think you'll be hearing anything wispy. The harder sound is consistent with Morrissey's two most recent albums, "You Are the Quarry" and "Ringleader of the Tormentors," which provided plenty of highlights, in addition to some Smiths chestnuts and hits from his earlier solo albums.

In the days after the show I was hoping for a quick return. Four months is about as good as it gets. Friday night I won't be rushing the stage or tossing flowers on it, but I don't doubt my heart rate will kick into another gear when the Moz hits the stage. If you've always wanted to join a cult, but didn't want the usual living-on-a-ranch-in-a-secluded-part-of-the-country thing that goes along with it, Friday night might be exactly what you need.

--David

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/goingoutgurus/2007/10/november_spawned_a_mozzer.html

lomein

« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2007, 10:01:00 pm »
I'm so mad that I have to miss the show tonight. God damn Richmond, $65 tickets and having an 8am class tomorrow.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2007, 10:03:00 am »
Originally posted by lomein:
  I'm so mad that I have to miss the show tonight. God damn Richmond, $65 tickets and having an 8am class tomorrow.
If it's skip Morrissey or miss class, then I'm sorry class, but that's just me.

shemptiness

« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2007, 10:05:00 am »
Originally posted by Roadbike Mankie:

Originally posted by lomein:
If it's skip Morrissey or miss class, then I'm sorry class, but that's just me. [/b]
Money issue too I guess - pretty expensive ticket.  But was that a damn good show or what?

Sage 703

« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2007, 10:55:00 am »
according to that Post.com article tickets are now $20

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2007, 11:14:00 am »
Actually $19, but the service charges are a bit stiff, regardless I'm in... haven't seen the Smiths or Morrissey since the Meat Is Murder tour with Billy Bragg as the opener...
T.Rex

terry

« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2007, 11:18:00 am »
I'm in too, even though with service charges it came to over $30 bucks. That's better than $35+ and $65+ they were charging for tickets. I've never seen Moz and everyone tells me how great he is in concert. For that price I'm willing to give it a go.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2007, 11:21:00 am »
I got an email from livenation about it, but it doesn't look like ticketmaster is updated yet on the price.

Originally posted by callat703:
  according to that Post.com article tickets are now $20
(_|_)

K8teebug

« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2007, 11:26:00 am »
Those tickets are up on ticketmaster now (last chance sale)

19 bucks.

I cannot wait for this show tomorrow night!

Vas Deferens

« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2007, 11:28:00 am »
Great seats released at $64. Based on last night's show, I wouldn't buy at that price, but $19 (plus fees) is good.

I want to go to the box office tonight to buy at the 930 club to avoid the fees  :)  Or who is kind enough to do it?  heh
(_|_)

shemptiness

« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2007, 12:01:00 pm »
  Great seats released at $64. Based on last night's show, I wouldn't buy at that price, but $19 (plus fees) is good.

I want to go to the box office tonight to buy at the 930 club to avoid the fees   :)   Or who is kind enough to do it?  heh
You didn't like last night's show?

sonickteam2

« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2007, 12:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by Shemp:

I want to go to the box office tonight to buy at the 930 club to avoid the fees    :)    Or who is kind enough to do it?  heh
You didn't like last night's show? [/b]
not a big Morrissey fan but he did put on a very good show, and the crowd was pretty crazy. cool though, and everyone knew every single word.

and it was nice to meet you, Shemp!!  bnyced was there too but he was shouting anti-canadian slurs at me so we threw him out pretty fast!

and no one got on stage, though i cant say no one tried.