Author Topic: Hey Seth  (Read 1749764 times)

Yada

Re: Hey Seth
« Reply #6135 on: September 27, 2017, 04:40:29 pm »
Per usual, I agree with Bearman heartily.  To Julian's purely provocative response, how does not posting set times help the club, make money, or do anything really?  Sure, it could be off a bit, but I'd think folks who know enough to look at the website for set times are savvy enough to know that it's the schedule, and the best estimation that can be made in advance.

That's a failed Jules' troll attempt.

vansmack

« Reply #6136 on: September 27, 2017, 05:07:19 pm »
how does not posting set times help the club, make money, or do anything really? 

I already told you all here:

Seth wants you in there spending money on his food and drink, so if he doesn't post the set times, your concern over missing the headliner will have you there early, presumably spending money.

Makes perfect business sense to me.

Classic Seth. 

27>34

hutch

« Reply #6137 on: September 27, 2017, 05:34:28 pm »
If it is so classic seth he would have done it years ago...right?

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #6138 on: September 27, 2017, 06:48:45 pm »
Thinking this through:

Ultimately, the logic is that the buyer won't make a purchase/no purchase decision due to set-times (late-shows/early-shows excluded) because set-times were typically not announced until the day of the show. Us show-goers, and the younger folks that replace us over time, are going to purchase tickets to shows that they want to see, and if no set-time is ever posted, we/and those that follow us, are just going to show up on time to try to make sure that we/they see the part of the show we want to see.

So giving us notice of the set-times is something that IMP/930 does for us that is nice for it to do, but it is not really necessary or a "whether to buy a ticket" decision point for us. And it may make IMP/930 slightly more money if we are in the club longer, and makes the openers happier that there is a larger crowd present (though, does anyone really care about making the openers happy?)

The thing is that IMP/930 does nice things for us that it doesn't need to do (formerly posting set-times), FWB, World's fair, some presales, this BBS, and the like, that it doesn't have to do, and because of that it is hard to understand why IMP/930 would stop doing a nice thing for us that it didn't ever need to do and it causes this dissonance.

Or

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #6139 on: September 27, 2017, 07:37:29 pm »
I was thinking about this on the way home.

Not knowing set times will definitely reduce the number of last-minute shows I attend, but (as posted above) if it's something I wanna see, I'll still buy tix in advance and will be sure to show up on time.

It would be different if there were decent seating options. Much happier to arrive early if I can sit in the spot I'll be catching the show from. Sadly, I'm not 22 anymore and do try to cut down on standing time at shows. Perhaps this is how old folks like me get weeded out of club shows.

Space Freely

« Reply #6140 on: September 27, 2017, 07:52:59 pm »

Not knowing set times will definitely reduce the number of last-minute shows I attend, but (as posted above) if it's something I wanna see, I'll still buy tix in advance and will be sure to show up on time.

It would be different if there were decent seating options. Much happier to arrive early if I can sit in the spot I'll be catching the show from. Sadly, I'm not 22 anymore and do try to cut down on standing time at shows. Perhaps this is how old folks like me get weeded out of club shows.

Have you tried one of those standing desk setups at work? Get going on one of those and standing for five hours at a show will be cake.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #6141 on: September 27, 2017, 08:22:52 pm »
This is the least rock-n-roll discussion ever.

herman otto

« Reply #6142 on: September 27, 2017, 08:59:29 pm »
Daft Punk, is playing at my house.  No, set times.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #6143 on: September 27, 2017, 09:01:49 pm »

Have you tried one of those standing desk setups at work? Get going on one of those and standing for five hours at a show will be cake.

When is the last time Cake played a show in the DC area?

bearman🐻

« Reply #6144 on: September 28, 2017, 07:03:23 am »
Thinking this through:

Ultimately, the logic is that the buyer won't make a purchase/no purchase decision due to set-times (late-shows/early-shows excluded) because set-times were typically not announced until the day of the show. Us show-goers, and the younger folks that replace us over time, are going to purchase tickets to shows that they want to see, and if no set-time is ever posted, we/and those that follow us, are just going to show up on time to try to make sure that we/they see the part of the show we want to see.

So giving us notice of the set-times is something that IMP/930 does for us that is nice for it to do, but it is not really necessary or a "whether to buy a ticket" decision point for us. And it may make IMP/930 slightly more money if we are in the club longer, and makes the openers happier that there is a larger crowd present (though, does anyone really care about making the openers happy?)

The thing is that IMP/930 does nice things for us that it doesn't need to do (formerly posting set-times), FWB, World's fair, some presales, this BBS, and the like, that it doesn't have to do, and because of that it is hard to understand why IMP/930 would stop doing a nice thing for us that it didn't ever need to do and it causes this dissonance.

Or

All of the "nice to do" but not mandatory stuff  you mention though is why is Seth is IMP and not Live Nation. It may be a business, but it's one where the customers are given a reason to be loyal. That's what makes a business successful and why bands fuckin' LOVE the 9:30/IMP/Seth (and trust me, I hear it ALL the time). Just sayin'. The little things that mean a lot.

Bags

« Reply #6145 on: September 28, 2017, 10:36:44 am »
Sure, I get that and I agree.  My question remains why stop a "nice, customer friendly" practice which they've done for more than a dozen years, and in fact likely started (such that other clubs/venues now post set times day of a show)?  I guess cynical interpretations win out, it's about getting you to the club earlier to drink more beer.  All I can say is that breaks my heart to hear and believe about a club and company I've loved and touted for 27 years.  I am pretty sure I've been to 9:30 club 300-400 times.  And whether I get there when doors open or just for the headliner, I normally have a healthy bar tab. 

My final response is sad, so sad.

Yada

« Reply #6146 on: September 28, 2017, 10:51:24 am »
Sure, I get that and I agree.  My question remains why stop a "nice, customer friendly" practice which they've done for more than a dozen years, and in fact likely started (such that other clubs/venues now post set times day of a show)?  I guess cynical interpretations win out, it's about getting you to the club earlier to drink more beer.  All I can say is that breaks my heart to hear and believe about a club and company I've loved and touted for 27 years.  I am pretty sure I've been to 9:30 club 300-400 times.  And whether I get there when doors open or just for the headliner, I normally have a healthy bar tab. 

My final response is sad, so sad.

Once again, I think that was a bad attempt at trolling by our resident Jules. Is your consumption of alcohol really going to change that much??? (maybe one drink??) if you show up XXX amount of minutes earlier. I've never eaten once at the club in 15 years and that's not going to change if I show up 30 minutes earlier than I typically do.

I'd recommend just smoking a giant brain dart before entering to limit the need of alcohol and then going to Ben's Chilli Bowl afterwards.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #6147 on: September 28, 2017, 10:58:38 am »
It’s not an attempt at trolling. Vansmack agrees with me. If it’s not about money, then why? It’s about selling beer. Any person with half a brain knows that because NO OTHER PLAUSIBLE EXPLANATION EXISTS OR HAS BEEN PROFFERED.
LVMH

Bags

« Reply #6148 on: September 28, 2017, 11:32:45 am »
Vansmack agreed, which made it a legitimate argument/viewpoint from my perspective.  ;P

Space Freely

« Reply #6149 on: September 28, 2017, 11:35:26 am »
It’s not an attempt at trolling. Vansmack agrees with me. If it’s not about money, then why? It’s about selling beer. Any person with half a brain knows that because NO OTHER PLAUSIBLE EXPLANATION EXISTS OR HAS BEEN PROFFERED.

Maybe the bands prefer not being tied to a specific set time?