Author Topic: Snailhook...  (Read 84924 times)

Captain Jack

Re: Snailhook...
« Reply #180 on: January 20, 2011, 12:01:37 am »
Purling Hiss rules.  There's a new Six Organs record coming out next month I think.

azaghal1981

« Reply #181 on: January 20, 2011, 12:08:43 am »
Chasny and Elisa have a new record due out soon.

Edit:Oh, well shit:

November 3rd, 2010

To be released by Drag City Records, 2011:

Six Organs Of Admittance - Asleep On The Floodplain

1. Above A Desert I've Never Seen

2. Light Of The Light

3. Brilliant Blue Sea Between Us

4. Saint Of Fishermen

5. Hold But Let Go

6. River Of My Youth

7. Poppies

8. S/word And Leviathan

9. A New Name On An Old Cement Bridge

10.Dawn, Running Home

Recorded at home 2008 - 2010. Mixed by Ben and Randall Dunn at London Bridge Studios and Mell Dettmer at Aleph Studios. Artwork by Steve Quenell.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 12:19:24 am by azaghal1981 »
احمد

teepo

« Reply #182 on: January 20, 2011, 05:02:09 pm »
So Shannon Wright is actually opening up for that french guy instead of playing a solo show at the Black Cat.

BUMMER.

Really wanted a full set. Dyed in Wool and Over the Sun are very records to me and she rarely ever hits DC or anywhere outside of Atlanta other than France. But I guess i'll have to find a spot to avoid all the talking and chit chat that'll be occuring while she's playing.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 05:03:58 pm by teepo »

hutch

« Reply #183 on: February 07, 2011, 06:38:31 pm »
David J will be putting out his first solo record in 8 years or something and may do a tour...

I think he'd be great for the Velvet Lounge.

snailhook

« Reply #184 on: February 14, 2011, 05:39:00 am »
For those of you thinking about coming to Philly for the Sic Alps/Magik Markers show, Purling Hiss is opening. Really looking forward to this one.

Hutch, I saw David J at the nation in 2003 or 2004. It was alright, but I wasn't crazy about it. Not sure who hius booking agent is and if they demand a high guarantee. I'd book him only if the guarantee was reasonable.

Avant/Fairfax (which will be April 22/23 this year) is coming along nicely, and we've still got slots to confirm. The two intriguing headliner so far are UK folk legend Michael Chapman and obscure free jazz saxophonist Kenny Millions, who has played with Sam Rivers, Peter Brotzmann, Sunny Murray, Billy Bang, Frank Wright and many others). 

azaghal1981

« Reply #185 on: February 14, 2011, 05:58:10 pm »
It sounds like this will have to be my first Avant Fairfax. I have something come up every year but there is no way I am missing Michael Chapman.

Good to hear that the Purling Hiss score worked out! Guess I have two Magik Markers gigs in my immediate future.

Edit: Baltimore Magik Markers gig was moved to The Ottobar. They are opening for Lower Dens now. Not even worth attending, anymore. Markers should do an old fashion noise/confrontation set like this and scare the hipsters shitless.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 11:30:49 pm by azaghal1981 »
احمد

azaghal1981

« Reply #186 on: February 21, 2011, 08:04:26 pm »
Grouper?

She is in Brooklyn on 4/16 according to this.

And how late do Rotunda shows typically run? I may have to rely on bus or train to get up there and back; it seems as though nobody else from down here wants to make the trip for Sic Alps/Magik Markers/Purling Hiss.

احمد

Got Haggis?

« Reply #187 on: February 21, 2011, 08:09:43 pm »

Edit: Baltimore Magik Markers gig was moved to The Ottobar. They are opening for Lower Dens now. Not even worth attending, anymore. Markers should do an old fashion noise/confrontation set like this and scare the hipsters shitless.

Disagree. Nautical Almanac are also playing and they are pretty incredible

azaghal1981

« Reply #188 on: February 21, 2011, 08:16:55 pm »
Yeah, Nautical Almanac and Magik Markers would have made for a fine Golden West or Bank show on their own.
احمد

Vas Deferens

« Reply #189 on: February 21, 2011, 08:22:48 pm »
^^ just go home after magik markers
(_|_)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #190 on: February 21, 2011, 09:07:57 pm »
Wasn't sure where to post this but decided to put it in here to make sure that you would see it, Snail, since it was from one of your shows.

Secret Shine just released a new album called The Beginning And The End which is fantastic, by the way. In my opinion, their best ever. It comes with a heavy stock photo fold-out with pictures of their various tours. At least one of them is from DC when you booked them at the Warehouse Next Door. They are standing outside of the venue. It's possible there are more but I can't tell. Very possible that the one of them with Oliver Ackermann is from there which is the first time that they ever met and saw APTBS... and, like us, the band was completely blindsided by APTBS.

azaghal1981

« Reply #191 on: February 21, 2011, 09:11:46 pm »
^Damn I just realized it's been over two years since we saw that APTBS 930 show. And I think that was my last.

احمد

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #192 on: February 21, 2011, 09:31:19 pm »
Time flies too damned fast when you are having fun with music!

APTBS is scheduled to be back in the area soon but I can't remember when and where just yet. I'll probably be out of town anyway.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #193 on: February 22, 2011, 11:15:26 am »
ottobar march 24th

snailhook

« Reply #194 on: March 04, 2011, 10:15:52 am »
Yeah, I know The Ex is playing at the Black Cat. Sucks for us. Why don't you surprise me and come to the cheaper show? I promise The Ex won't have strobe lights and they certainly won't be space truckin'. And we won't yell angry political diatribes at you in Dutch accents. We'll do it in rambling stoner-speak instead. Fuck it, go see The Ex. They rule. Then come see us because we'll be a few blocks away and we won't start til after midnight. That is, if you want to miss Madrid's awesome Luger.

Saturday, March 12
Velvet Lounge
915 U St. NW WDC
http://www.velvetloungedc.com/
$8, doors at 9pm, 21+

Kohoutek (nu-psych from beyond)
Luger (Krauty space rock from Madrid)
Caves Caverns (Richmond's best-kept secret)
PJB (aka Psychedelic Jam Band, oh yeah)

Kohoutek
http://www.claviusproductions.org/
"If I was still young and devious (not that I ever was devious, of course?) I?d be tempted to slap a United Artists label on this one, scuff up the sleeve and palm it off as a lost classic from 1971. Filed alongside a host of highly collectable Can, Man, Hawkwind and Amon Duul II LPs nobody would ever be the wiser. And that, to my mind, is no bad thing." (Phil McMullen, Ptolemaic Terrascope)

Luger
http://luger.bandcamp.com/
Lüger is setting the Spanish scene on fire. With less than 2 years under their belt and one record that came out last April they've had enough time to play all over Spain and be one of the highlights at Primavera Club 2010. They've also played in festivals such as Space is the Place (with OM and Acid Mothers Temple) or Monkey Week (Faust, Sonic Boom, Cave, Quintron, etc.).

Ruta 66, the most influential rock magazine in Spain just crowned them best album of 2010 on their January edition and their new album should be out before winter is over. Their eponimous LP is sold out and have just been invited to play SXSW 2011.

Backed by a pounding double-headed rhythm section, the mix includes organ, synth, guitar and throbbing bass lines Lemmy would kill for. Lüger's sound is heavily influenced by classic acts such as Hawkwind, Faust or Neu! so the music is provided with surpassing krautrock elements, however they sound less vintage, rather modern, comparable with the likes of Turzi, Holy Fuck or Wooden Shjips in a wider sense, drawing rave reviews in web forums all over the world.

Caves Caverns
http://www.myspace.com/cavescaverns
http://breathingcave.blogspot.com/
?...they channeled some serious Hawkwind-Acid Mothers-F/i vibes and shoe-horned a lot of sonics into a short set?Apparently the guitar player for Caves Caverns plays the keys for locals Resin Pyramid who put on another stellar opening set at the Moon Duo gig. Really interesting stuff ?well worth checking out in town if you need to get your feet off the ground.? (Mr. Atavist)

The free-form, instrumental heavy psychedelia that this Richmond band plays on their latest release, a four-song, forty-minute cassette, has many worthy antecedents. Most prominent are Ash Ra Tempel?s epic Krautrock space jams and Hawkwind?s acid-soaked biker rock. These trippy jams will pry open your third eye. (Andrew Necci, RVA Magazine)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Upcoming Clavius events:

Friday 3/18 @ Velvet Lounge: Dark Sea Dream (Prophase Records), 28 Degrees Taurus (Boston shoegaze/psych), Night and the City (ex-Girl Loves Distortion/Antiques), Phonic Riot
$8, doors at 9pm, 21+

Thursday 3/24 @ Velvet Lounge: Foul Swoops, Ice Cream, Teen Mom
$7, doors at 8:30pm, 21+

Tuesday 4/5 @ Velvet Lounge: The Extraordinaires (Philly psych-pop), two locals tbd
$8, doors at 8:30pm, 21+

Saturday 4/23 @ Old Fairfax Town Hall: Avant-Fairfax IV w/ Michael Chapman (legendary UK singer/songwriter/guitarist), The Black Twigs (neo-bluegrass from SW Virginia, mem. of Pelt, VHF), Kohoutek, Caves Caverns, Human Adult Band, Drums Like Machine Guns, FUN, Heavy Medical, Nathan Bowles & Scott Verrastro Percussion Duo plus a few more tba
doors at 5pm, all ages

Friday 5/6 @ Velvet Lounge: Ghost Box Orchestra (psych-folk from Boston), Phonic Riot, The Last Tide
$8, doors at 9pm, 21+

Sunday 5/8 @ TBA: Trio StarLicker (mem. of Tortoise/Chicago Underground Duo)

Sunday 6/5 @ TBA: Sediment Club (no wave kids from NYC)

Friday 6/17 @ TBA: Bobb Trimble (legendary Massachusetts folk-psych singer-songwriter, Secretly Canadian), Kuschty Rye Ergot (mem. of Kohoutek)

Friday 9/16 @ Velvet Lounge: Iain Matthews (rare DC appearance from the legendary singer-songwriter from Fairport Convention/Southern Comfort/Plainsong!)
$15, doors at 8pm, 21+