Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3182505 times)

Space Freely

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #9450 on: September 04, 2019, 12:44:57 pm »
Just got back from Ashville.  In the downtown area they have about 8 (or more) micro breweries within a 4 block area (Green Man, Burial, Wicked Weed to name a few).  I'm not a big beer drinker, but the breweries are a blast to visit.  Good food, beer (obviously), music and atmosphere.  If you want bigger craft breweries they have New Belgium (#4) and Sierra Nevada (#3).  On top of that its a really cool city in the mountains to visit.

Heading there soon!!   Any advice on some  airbnb's to stay while they are? We can't figure out whether we want to stay downtown or in a cabin in the woods?

We had one of our all time nicest VRBO's in a cabin in the woods outside of Asheville.

That is until my wife made a fatal mistake. We went out and crated our dog. And to make our dog feel like he was in a safe enclosed space, my wife moved furniture closer to the crate.

After we left and before we returned on one of our first days (I think we were daytripping to a hike and then the Sierra Nevada Brewery tour), our dog needled his nose through the crate and chewed up one of chairs.

We felt terrible and were proactive and let the owner know about what happened, and the 20+ year old beater chair (as we saw it) morphed itself into an "expensive antique," and  the owner charged us the security deposit and a great deal more for the replacement chair she bought.

That pretty much put a damper on that vacation, the last one we ever took our dog on.

Space Freely

« Reply #9451 on: September 04, 2019, 12:46:28 pm »
There must be a few people here who drink something a cut above PBR, no?

What beers are you currently enjoying?

I'm really digging this:

And after a stop at their brewery in Cooperstown, NY, i'm enjoying the mix pack from Ommegang. Especially love the Ommegang Ale.

Had the Breakfast Stout on nitro for the first time ever last weekend. Still a great beer. Hope not too much of my money went to Spain.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9452 on: September 06, 2019, 04:48:41 pm »
DC BEer Week starts officially on monday, but apparently the unofficial kickoff is Cask Night at Chophouse tonight

http://dcbeerweek.net/full-event-calendar-1/

daily recommendations:
- BATTLE OF THE BARREL AGED BEERS AT BOUNDARY STONE on the 10th
- THE AREA TWO EXPERIMENTAL BREWING SHOWCASE AT THE SOVEREIGN on the 11th
- THE ASLIN 4TH ANNIVERSARY PRE-PARTY AT CHURCHKEY on the 12th (also: THE ASLIN 4TH ANNIVERSARY PRE-PARTY AT THE SOVEREIGN)
- THE SOVEREIGN PRESENTS: AN EVENING WITH TRVE BREWING CO.on the 13th
- ASLIN 4TH ANNIVERSARY PARTY on the 14th
- RECORD FAIR AT RIGHT PROPER BROOKLAND PRODUCTION HOUSE on the 15th
<sig>

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #9453 on: September 09, 2019, 07:34:53 pm »
I mean, do you even remember Tupper's Hop Pocket,  brah?

« Reply #9454 on: September 12, 2019, 04:35:02 pm »
gonna hit up The Aslin 4th Anniversary Pre-Party at ChurchKey...hope there is some good stuff left when I get there
some serious heavy stouts

20,000 Containers Under the Sea Stout - Imperial / Double
11% ABV • N/A IBU • Neon Raptor Brewing Co. •

BA The Hawk & Whale Stout - Imperial / Double
13.5% ABV • N/A IBU • Finback Brewery •

Reston Stout - Imperial / Double
16.5% ABV • N/A IBU • Aslin Beer Company •

Booker's Bourbon Barrel Aged Teotihuacan (2019) Stout - Imperial / Double
12.9% ABV • N/A IBU • Barreled Souls Brewing Company •

Peanut Butter Jenkins Stout - Imperial / Double
11.7% ABV • N/A IBU • Thin Man Brewery •

Cross Quarter Days (Barrel Aged) Stout - Other
8.6% ABV • N/A IBU • DC Brau Brewing Company •

Your Pet Cow (Barrel Aged) Stout - Imperial / Double Milk
7% ABV • N/A IBU • DC Brau Brewing Company •

Zombie Date Night Porter - Imperial / Double
9.6% ABV • N/A IBU • 3 Stars Brewing Company •

Double Mexican Radio: Bourbon 2018 Stout - Imperial / Double Milk
13% ABV • N/A IBU • Bluejacket •

Here are some of the hoppy options

Holy Roller IPA IPA - New England
6.3% ABV • 60 IBU • Urban South Brewery •

Bliss IPA - Imperial / Double
8% ABV • N/A IBU • Thin Man Brewery •

Hazy IPA - New England
6.5% ABV • N/A IBU • Temescal Brewing •

Modern Life IPA - New England
6.1% ABV • N/A IBU • Temescal Brewing •

Rakau's Modern Life IPA - Imperial / Double New England
8.4% ABV • N/A IBU • Southern Grist Brewing Company •

Steezy IPA - New England
7.1% ABV • N/A IBU • Outer Range Brewing Co. •

In the Steep IPA - New England
6.9% ABV • N/A IBU • Outer Range Brewing Co. •

Halo Effect IPA - Imperial / Double
8% ABV • N/A IBU • Neon Raptor Brewing Co. •

OJ Run IPA - New England
8.6% ABV • 70 IBU • Narrow Gauge Brewing Company •

Thrice Around The Sun IPA - Imperial / Double
8% ABV • N/A IBU • Kings County Brewers Collective •

Recurved IPA - Imperial / Double
8% ABV • N/A IBU • Finback Brewery •

Multiple Ectogasms IPA - New England
7% ABV • 65 IBU • Drekker Brewing Company •

Sky Party IPA - Imperial / Double
7.8% ABV • N/A IBU • Deciduous Brewing Company •

In the Red IPA - New England
7.7% ABV • N/A IBU • Barrier Brewing Company •

The Great Experiment Volume 2: Fortitude IPA - New England
7.4% ABV • N/A IBU • Barrier Brewing Company •

Orange Starfish IPA - American
5.7% ABV • N/A IBU • Aslin Beer Company •

Dunley Place IPA - Imperial / Double
8% ABV • N/A IBU • Aslin Beer Company •

Personal Assistant IPA - Triple
10.5% ABV • N/A IBU • Magnify Brewing Company •
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 05:00:52 pm by shambolic-hatch ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9455 on: September 12, 2019, 04:52:55 pm »
unless they've upped their game recently, i'd stay away from the zombie date night... had it twice, never liked it.
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #9456 on: September 12, 2019, 05:53:59 pm »
That looks good, but I'm more excited by the Other Half can drop and the 27 Other Half taps at Churchkey Saturday. I just with the timing of the events wasn't three hours apart.

Yada

« Reply #9457 on: September 12, 2019, 05:55:39 pm »
That looks good, but I'm more excited by the Other Half can drop and the 27 Other Half taps at Churchkey Saturday. I just with the timing of the events wasn't three hours apart.

You do know there is an Other Half drop at a well known location in MoCo practically every week, right?

Space Freely

« Reply #9458 on: September 12, 2019, 06:09:41 pm »

You do know there is an Other Half drop at a well known location in MoCo practically every week, right?

Do they have weekend drops there? Because the last one was a Friday and it sold out by the end of the day.

Also i live closer to DC than Gaithersburg. Probably a 20 min drive vs. a 40 min drive on a Saturday.

I'm guessing the line would be shorter at the place that gets it every week as opposed to a one time DC drop.

Yada

« Reply #9459 on: September 12, 2019, 06:18:53 pm »

Do they have weekend drops there? Because the last one was a Friday and it sold out by the end of the day.

Also i live closer to DC than Gaithersburg. Probably a 20 min drive vs. a 40 min drive on a Saturday.

I'm guessing the line would be shorter at the place that gets it every week as opposed to a one time DC drop.

It's always Friday night and I've never not seen it make it until Saturday.

« Reply #9460 on: September 13, 2019, 09:36:58 am »
gonna hit up The Aslin 4th Anniversary Pre-Party at ChurchKey...h

what is nice now is at these craft beer events, the crowds are not as insane as they used to be and you can show up at 9:30 and none of the kegs were kicked (barkeep said it was pretty packed at dinner time)

I did drink for many hours proceeding this...so the heavy stouts were not looking that desirable
I did try this one
Reston Stout - Imperial / Double 16.5% ABV • N/A IBU • Aslin Beer Company

you couldn't really taste any alcohol and that's impressive at 16.5, but didn't really love this

My favorite was
Double Lollipop Forest w/ Blackcurrant Blueberry & Raspberry Sour - Fruited
6.6% ABV • N/A IBU • Deciduous Brewing Company •

I thought the  4th Anniversary Sour -American Wild Ale by Aslin was kinda meh and definitely wouldn't get again

slack

Yada

« Reply #9461 on: September 15, 2019, 03:07:22 pm »

Cans still available this morning.

Space Freely

« Reply #9462 on: September 15, 2019, 03:34:15 pm »

I saw that. Wonder if it's the frequency of drops that made it happen, or did they increase the dosage?

I got some at CBC. I actually work nearby, so would love to see more frequent drops there on weekdays.

Yada

« Reply #9463 on: September 15, 2019, 03:57:42 pm »

I saw that. Wonder if it's the frequency of drops that made it happen, or did they increase the dosage?

I got some at CBC. I actually work nearby, so would love to see more frequent drops there on weekdays.

I'm guessing a combination of peak beer, location, amount distributed, all haaaaze tastes similar, etc.

Space Freely

« Reply #9464 on: September 15, 2019, 04:01:22 pm »
How was the Aslin party? Any highlights/disappointments?