Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1299348 times)

challenged

• Instagram
Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #3510 on: August 26, 2019, 10:47:36 am »
Friday's Ted Leo & RX show was great and fun and included Ted presiding over a wedding from the stage and then going into "Walking to Do" as the couple's first dance.  Control Top were a solid opener.

Saturday's Alejandro Escovedo house show was really a terrific night of songs and stories. I had only surface-level knowledge of AE, and had seen him once or twice. This guy has lived quite a life, and is like a music-industry Zelig - with stories of the punk days, to the Austin scene, to playing with Springsteen here and there.

I am taking an extended break.
No more shows for me until Wednesday.

Bagley

« Reply #3511 on: August 26, 2019, 10:59:38 am »
Saturday's Alejandro Escovedo house show was really a terrific night of songs and stories. I had only surface-level knowledge of AE, and had seen him once or twice. This guy has lived quite a life, and is like a music-industry Zelig - with stories of the punk days, to the Austin scene, to playing with Springsteen here and there.

Cool,  did he mention his band Rank and File and the cow-punk aesthetic in the 80's?  Grand band.  Fortunate to catch them and many of that ilk at the old 9:30.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3512 on: August 26, 2019, 11:05:56 am »
Andrew Luck retired and now this. All my heroes are dead.
LVMH

Vas Deferens

« Reply #3513 on: August 26, 2019, 11:07:20 am »
This Wednesday doesn't count as extended break...

(_|_)

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #3514 on: August 26, 2019, 11:10:18 am »

Cool,  did he mention his band Rank and File and the cow-punk aesthetic in the 80's?  Grand band.  Fortunate to catch them and many of that ilk at the old 9:30.

Yes.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #3515 on: August 26, 2019, 11:10:58 am »
This Wednesday doesn't count as extended break...

The show at Metro Gallery tonight would be good as well.

Unsanity

« Reply #3516 on: September 01, 2019, 03:29:53 am »
Anyone else go to King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard? that was one wild and fun ride.

Space Freely

« Reply #3517 on: September 01, 2019, 07:33:50 am »

Did he mention the time he did an in-store back in the late 90s (?) at DCCD in Adams-Morgan, when only me, a friend, and the store employees bothered to show up

dyecraig

« Reply #3518 on: September 01, 2019, 08:36:43 am »

Did he mention the time he did an in-store back in the late 90s (?) at DCCD in Adams-Morgan, when only me, a friend, and the store employees bothered to show up
That was a cool store. I remember seeing Sahara Hotnights doing an in-store there. Was that the same store that moved to Clarendon (top of the hill across from the Metro) then Falls Church (little strip mall) then disappeared?

Space Freely

« Reply #3519 on: September 01, 2019, 11:20:08 am »

That was a cool store. I remember seeing Sahara Hotnights doing an in-store there. Was that the same store that moved to Clarendon (top of the hill across from the Metro) then Falls Church (little strip mall) then disappeared?

I *think* you're thinking of CD Cellar, though I'm not 100%. See this article for details.

http://bandwidth.wamu.org/for-virginia-record-store-cd-cellar-no-downside-in-big-changes/

dyecraig

« Reply #3520 on: September 01, 2019, 03:06:31 pm »

I *think* you're thinking of CD Cellar, though I'm not 100%. See this article for details.

http://bandwidth.wamu.org/for-virginia-record-store-cd-cellar-no-downside-in-big-changes/
[/quote]

Naw, I know CD Cellar, this place ended up closer to Seven Corners. I had a vague feeling the owner was getting unhappier the further West they moved.

Yada

« Reply #3521 on: September 05, 2019, 10:34:38 am »
Vampire Weekend - Better than expected, fun show, lame ass crowd. Played at least 25/30 songs. Good times.

Kevin Morby - Top three current favorite artist at this point. Amazing show at Creative Alliance in Bawlmoor (cool little venue). There were probably 100 people there and the double bill with him and William Tyler was a must hit show. William Tyler (Former Silver Jew) joined Morby for two Jews' covers including Random Rules and another tune I can't recall the name.

Epic pizza next door at Matthew's Pizza as well.

K8teebug

« Reply #3522 on: September 05, 2019, 10:46:58 am »
Vampire Weekend - Better than expected, fun show, lame ass crowd. Played at least 25/30 songs. Good times.

Kevin Morby - Top three current favorite artist at this point. Amazing show at Creative Alliance in Bawlmoor (cool little venue). There were probably 100 people there and the double bill with him and William Tyler was a must hit show. William Tyler (Former Silver Jew) joined Morby for two Jews' covers including Random Rules and another tune I can't recall the name.

That's cool. Love Matthew's pizza. Wish I was more social on weeknights! Would have gone.

Yada

« Reply #3523 on: September 05, 2019, 10:52:39 am »

That's cool. Love Matthew's pizza. Wish I was more social on weeknights! Would have gone.

It was seriously so good, with two Natty Bohs!

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #3524 on: September 05, 2019, 01:51:57 pm »

It was seriously so good, with two Natty Bohs!

I am on a .... pizza hiatus, but I do want to try Matthew's. Maybe at end of month for John Moreland.