Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1289853 times)

challenged

• Instagram
Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #3525 on: September 05, 2019, 04:10:07 pm »
Ub40, Shaggy, Steel Pulse at Pier6 (i.e. the "rat infested" version of merriweather) last night.
Missed Steel Pulse, because it started too early. Listendd to them at home whilst cooking dinner.
Arrived for Shaggy. Shaggy is mostly terrible, but sometimes fun, and does a solid Bill Clinton impression in the midst of "It Wasn't Me."
Ub40 are on their 40th anniversary tour. I was there with three people 30 and under. I explained to them that I had last seen Ub40 once before, in 1985, i.e. before they were born. They get it: I am very old. That said: I enjoyed the set, solid band, mostly good and memorable songs and covers. Was hoping for "Johnny Too Bad," but did not get that.
Signed commemorative Ub40 Poster was $50.00.  So, no merch for me.

WALKonBack

« Reply #3526 on: September 08, 2019, 09:43:45 am »
I, was going to write this killer, very long, diatribe about last night's hot chip show, and the incredible experience i had.

But, i can't.  I lasted half of the first song and had to leave, due to strobe lights used right from the start. I felt the force train of a seizure coming on and had to beeline from the front rail to the merch stand and attempted to stay in the back . . . but it was too strong even from back there.

But, I got to meet a member of Holy Fuck, and told him his band destroyed me, and I bought their skateboard deck which ruled as much as they did.  And their drummer was so fucking hot, I dreamily gazed at him the whole set. I hope I didn't creep him out.

Plus, I got to meet Hutch, who seemed like an incredible dudester.  I think I might have weirded him out when I went right up to him, and gave him a big ole bro hug. 

The long drive home was, annoying. The, end.

WALKonBack

« Reply #3527 on: September 08, 2019, 09:45:22 am »
Plus, I realized I wrote a nice, Please come back Azag message, in the FAQ section and not the forum.

Ugh, fuck my life.

« Reply #3528 on: September 08, 2019, 04:15:35 pm »
  I think I might have weirded him out when I went right up to him, and gave him a big ole bro hug.
bummed you had to leave because of the strobe lights
he make act like he doesn't like bro hugs...but he does
slack

Yada

« Reply #3529 on: September 08, 2019, 04:42:26 pm »
I, was going to write this killer, very long, diatribe about last night's hot chip show, and the incredible experience i had.

But, i can't.  I lasted half of the first song and had to leave, due to strobe lights used right from the start. I felt the force train of a seizure coming on and had to beeline from the front rail to the merch stand and attempted to stay in the back . . . but it was too strong even from back there.

But, I got to meet a member of Holy Fuck, and told him his band destroyed me, and I bought their skateboard deck which ruled as much as they did.  And their drummer was so fucking hot, I dreamily gazed at him the whole set. I hope I didn't creep him out.

Plus, I got to meet Hutch, who seemed like an incredible dudester.  I think I might have weirded him out when I went right up to him, and gave him a big ole bro hug. 

The long drive home was, annoying. The, end.

Can you still have fun?

WALKonBack

« Reply #3530 on: September 08, 2019, 06:11:41 pm »
Thanks, Yada.  Yes, I can.  Just not while falling down a hole of near convulsions.  Even though, I love the feeling one gets, right before the seizure hits.

lily1

« Reply #3531 on: September 08, 2019, 06:32:37 pm »
The Reach Festival going on at the Kennedy Center through the 22nd is fucking great. Go check it out. Something for everyone.

Trombone Shorty there last night was probably in the top 3 times I've seen him (which is a shit ton of times).

And while Rosslyn is a total wasteland, they do a great job with the jazz festival every year. Never been disappointed by the line up or management of it.

Space Freely

« Reply #3532 on: September 08, 2019, 06:40:42 pm »
The Reach Festival going on at the Kennedy Center through the 22nd is fucking great. Go check it out. Something for everyone.

Trombone Shorty there last night was probably in the top 3 times I've seen him (which is a shit ton of times).

And while Rosslyn is a total wasteland, they do a great job with the jazz festival every year. Never been disappointed by the line up or management of it.

Wow, when did they add Trombone Shorty to the bill? So disappointed i didn't notice.

We did catch Valerie June. Unique voice and personality. I loved her, my wife and daughter hated her.

The last three acts of the Rosslyn Jazz Fest were all solid. Somehow we managed to not get sunburned in spite of forgetting to bring sunscreen. Totally agree with your comments. Sometimes it's a stretch to call it a "jazz" fest, but they always mange to book a great lineup.

lily1

« Reply #3533 on: September 08, 2019, 07:29:56 pm »
They added Trombone Shorty late morning/early afternoon, I saw it on Twitter through some other posting. So I just hopped an Uber at the jazz festival over to the Kennedy Center and set up shop there. I think it was to cover the Bootsy Collins cancellation.

Yada

« Reply #3534 on: September 08, 2019, 11:30:25 pm »
Reach is/was awesome... But holy shit Flying Lotus is awful.

dyecraig

« Reply #3535 on: September 09, 2019, 07:08:49 am »
It sure is awesome, and he sure was awful, but Brandee Younger playing the music of Alice Coltrane was out of this world.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #3536 on: September 09, 2019, 08:12:37 am »
Yes, saw that 3D tour at FYF.  Boring AF.

(_|_)

Vas Deferens

« Reply #3537 on: September 09, 2019, 08:16:04 am »
How was Kelela? We only saw Roomful of Teeth at River Pavillion. Cool space.
(_|_)

hutch

« Reply #3538 on: September 09, 2019, 09:06:57 am »
I saw the flaming pink shirt approach the club and I knew

Fantastic meeting you Walkie!

A weekend highlight! Crossed it off my bucket list....along with working at club

Holy F ck where great openers and Hot Chip tore it up....simply bonkers Sabotage cover

If I was in a band I would have serious issue with using strobe or playing so loud it damaged my fans hearing

WALKonBack

« Reply #3539 on: September 09, 2019, 10:09:17 am »
I met hutch for about 5 minutes total.  I am horrible with small talk when I meet new people, so I hope I didn't come off as weird or rude.  From, just those 5 minutes . . . I could tell, that hutch is a pretty awesome guy, and would make a great friend.

I wonder, what it would be like, to actually meet Julian.