Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1268687 times)

azaghal1981

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #1005 on: October 27, 2014, 06:22:08 pm »
That's basically every DC music documentary.
And they probably interviewed the same 3-4 people.
Have members of Chalk Circle, No Trend, 9353 or Velvet Monkeys ever been interviewed for anything like that?

The thing about the DC episode of Sonic Highways, is I understand Dischord / Positive Force appears to be big part of Dave's teenage years... but, it sure seems like there are only three things of note from DC are, Bad Brains, Go Go Music and Dischord.  Basically, there was a bit too much of the usual suspect being interviewed in the hour...
احمد

ggw

« Reply #1006 on: October 27, 2014, 06:26:49 pm »
Did they mention Bens Chili Bowl also?

hutch

« Reply #1007 on: October 27, 2014, 06:52:34 pm »
Have members of Chalk Circle, No Trend, 9353 or Velvet Monkeys ever been interviewed for anything like that?

The thing about the DC episode of Sonic Highways, is I understand Dischord / Positive Force appears to be big part of Dave's teenage years... but, it sure seems like there are only three things of note from DC are, Bad Brains, Go Go Music and Dischord.  Basically, there was a bit too much of the usual suspect being interviewed in the hour...

you know..Jon Spencer came from DC.....there was no place for him so he moved to NYC....

Heck I used to love seeing Blueballs Deluxe...

so sick of the same few people always yappin......

but you can't hold it against Dave that he talks about the things that he's into.....although its worth nothing that Scream was sort of a NoVA reaction...they had a different element/vibe.. and Dave was in them for a little while...

azaghal1981

« Reply #1008 on: October 27, 2014, 06:54:34 pm »
Yeah, JS is another.
احمد

K8teebug

« Reply #1009 on: October 28, 2014, 07:43:25 am »

But it's for HBO. Of course we know all these bands, but maybe it's reaching someone out there who's never heard of Bad Brains and Fugazi. I'm okay with that.

hutch

« Reply #1010 on: October 28, 2014, 08:06:03 am »
Was Outer Body Llama mentioned at all?

azaghal1981

« Reply #1011 on: October 28, 2014, 08:54:40 am »

But it's for HBO. Of course we know all these bands, but maybe it's reaching someone out there who's never heard of Bad Brains and Fugazi. I'm okay with that.
I was speaking more generally.  If you were a musician living/playing in DC between 1980 and 1990, you seem to be blotted out of DC music history if you were not part of the Dischordian clique.
احمد

Yada

« Reply #1012 on: October 28, 2014, 08:59:05 am »

My guess is for an hour long show they want to focus on relevant material and because in the grand scheme of things, no one gives a shit about Chalk Circle, No Trend, 9353 or Velvet Monkeys.

ggw

« Reply #1013 on: October 28, 2014, 09:13:06 am »
No mention of Root Boy Slim?

K8teebug

« Reply #1014 on: October 28, 2014, 09:52:07 am »

I was speaking more generally.  If you were a musician living/playing in DC between 1980 and 1990, you seem to be blotted out of DC music history if you were not part of the Dischordian clique.

I hear ya. Also no mention of many of the bands with women. (Bratmobile, Tuscadero, Bikini Kill). That was a bummer for me.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #1015 on: October 28, 2014, 10:02:28 am »
Presume/hope Salad Days will do a better job of all that.

bearman🐻

« Reply #1016 on: October 28, 2014, 10:35:28 am »

Let's face it, DC has a very rich musical history. A 1-hour documentary isn't going to cover it. Shit, you could spend 1 hour alone on the 9:30 Club. Dischord is a dirty word around these parts anyway, but the reality is that the label has had a significant impact on creating an environment that was conducive to other bands and labels succeeding as well. I'm most disappointed by no mention of Teen Beat/Unrest, which a) is a phenomenal label and b) a truly great band that deserves more than a passing nod. Teen Beat has had some tremendous bands over the years: Air Miami, Flin Flon, Aden, Tuscadero, True Love Always, Versus, the Ropers, etc. Really great stuff.

K8teebug

« Reply #1017 on: October 28, 2014, 12:03:24 pm »
Presume/hope Salad Days will do a better job of all that.

Bought my ticket!

betao

« Reply #1018 on: October 29, 2014, 08:08:33 am »
Did anyone else check out The Damned / TSOL / The Briefs this past Sunday night? That was a damn good show from all of the bands.

bearman🐻

« Reply #1019 on: October 29, 2014, 09:17:46 am »
Did anyone else check out The Damned / TSOL / The Briefs this past Sunday night? That was a damn good show from all of the bands.

Totally agreed. I made sure to get there early enough to catch all of them. TSOL was really good, but not great...but I enjoyed the heck out of them anyway. The Damned never really disappoint me. In fact, every time I get to see them is a bonus because years ago Captain Sensible told me that it was getting harder for them to come back. I guess they weren't making a lot of money. Yet they seem to make it work every few years now, and it was a pretty large/enthusiastic crowd thankfully.