Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1297318 times)

hutch

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #2595 on: June 11, 2017, 11:19:38 am »
and I love Outta site.. why would I leave and miss that one?

Kubacheck

« Reply #2596 on: June 11, 2017, 11:24:09 am »
^I'm assuming he was saying to be ready to bolt as soon as Outtasite was over, not leave before they play it....

hutch

« Reply #2597 on: June 11, 2017, 11:30:34 am »
uh oh..boy do i feel stupid now.

Space Freely

« Reply #2598 on: June 11, 2017, 01:20:32 pm »
^I'm assuming he was saying to be ready to bolt as soon as Outtasite was over, not leave before they play it....

You are correct. The second the last note was played, we bolted. Yes, great song, so had to stay for all of it. Wouldn't think of leaving early. The Monday-Outtasite combo was a highlight for my kid. What can I say, like Hutch she prefers the early stuff.

The last time they played Wolftrap, we knew the last song was going to be Hoodoo Voodoo. Not one of our favorites, so we bolted before the last note.

I guess this is an advantage to having lawn tickets over pavilion.

shemptiness

« Reply #2599 on: June 11, 2017, 02:53:54 pm »
I guess this is an advantage to having lawn tickets over pavilion.

Another key point

hutch

« Reply #2600 on: June 11, 2017, 03:51:01 pm »
I feel like the way to do wolftrap is to do both...if possible to $$$$...lawn and pavillion..to me the hanging on the lawn stuffing my face with yummy food and pounding back alcohol faster than a hooker earning her pay...before the main act goes on while the sun is slowly setting is so much fun.. then ideally you have pavillion seats and get down there but leave your cooler and stuff to the side of the stage... the only issue with pavillion is those rows are too darn long.. and once you are a bit tipsy its not only a no fun being an illegal alien but its no fun making 75 people stand to get to your seat..

i have to admit i'm usually one of the last people to leave any concert..i enjoy the immediate afterglow..why would i want to leave? to go to bed?? bo-ring... but being there with kids is totally different..at that point they own you..they might as well have a leash around your neck..so you want to get home as quickly as possible and take it off

our generation is the most kidcentric generation in the history of the world.. its all about the kiddies.. and we feel that is the right approach..just like every previous generation (even the ones that sent their kids away for 15 years to boarding school) thought they had it all figured out...

godsshoeshine

« Reply #2601 on: June 11, 2017, 03:59:43 pm »
i ubered--no parking lot hassles at all
o/\o

Kubacheck

« Reply #2602 on: June 11, 2017, 05:09:53 pm »
yeah, I love the way Wolftrap does things, just wish it was closer... my friend Alex grabbed a 6 pack on his way there, so we shared that before the show, saved us $9.95 for each beer that we drank vs. buying one there, heck, Wolftrap's website even ENCOURAGES you to BYOB.... then he went down to tape the opener and I wandered around a bit while listening to them, and grabbed a t-shirt from the merch stand... did see a couple of guys wearing 9:30 shirts, one (the shirt, not the guy) was kinda old and faded (or seemed that way, at least)..... and as far as parking lots go, after the Nissan Radiohead debacle, the 40 minutes I spent waiting in the Wolftrap lot on friday was a walk in the park.....

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #2603 on: June 12, 2017, 10:32:53 am »
Really enjoyed the show; had row G center.
No real traffic from MoCo to the venue, so arrived early.
Picnic tabled some foods and wines.
Got ready for 3 nights of wilco/tweedy coming up in 11 days at a stage with a PA in Western Massachusetts.
Cool poster too. Trains.

Space Freely

« Reply #2604 on: June 16, 2017, 07:59:07 am »
It was a little bit chilling hearing Old 97's play "I Don't Wanna Die in This Town" at Birchmere last night.

My second thought was the Rhett Miller is probably the only American male in his 40's who can pull off long hair with bangs.

And my third thought was this was my second show in a week where someone played guitar windmill style (Rhett, and Pat Sansone of Wilco). Thanks for that move, Pete and Keef.

hutch

« Reply #2605 on: June 16, 2017, 02:05:49 pm »
I drove to Charlottesville last night to see Franz Ferdinand.. because I wanted to catch local band Cigarette at the Black Cat Wed. I could not make the Franz show at Ramshead Live that same night..drats.. this was most unfortunate cause Charlottesville is a much longer drive and I was cursing myself about 1 am driving back.. trip down was uneventful except a failed attempt to do a BK drive through.. 10 minutes waiting I had to bail.. which mean that:

I got there a couple of songs late I think (pro tip: NEVER prioritize food.. food is for the weak)..but I'm not entirely sure.. the Jefferson Theatre has a listed capacity of 750 so this may have been one of the smaller shows Franz has played.. it was sold out and hopping full of what looked like UVA kids with money to burn and a good time to be had.. good atmosphere althought some of those kids that get their daddies to pay for their college partying kind of remind me of people I went to college with (not good).. anyways, Franz's original guitarist Nick has left the band (to spend time with family or is there more to the story...) and they hadn't played the US in a few years (I saw them in 2013 but I missed their FFS show with Sparks).. they have replaced nick with a guitarist dude and a keyboard dude who can also add a third guitar..to me the "new band members" are colorless and add very little.. they have zero stage presence and I'm not sure why they're up there.. Alex is basically the band.. whereas before he had Nick to trade guitar licks and take over some of the leadership now its just him doing all the heavy lifting.. the bassist and drummer play their parts but don't do much else.. so its the Kapranos show..but what a show it is.. he's a phenomenal performer...he had the crowd in the palm of his hand the entire time... he signaled to jump.. you jumped.. he told you to sing along the chorus you sang... as good as the previous three times I've seen.. just wished Nick was still there but what are you going to do? Show felt a little short.. just not sure how many songs I missed.. the venue had told me they were shooting to go on at 945 but I think they went on earlier... of course everyone went crazy for Take Me Out.. they ended with This Fire (awesome as always)

the last time I saw them at Strathmore I got Nick to sign my record so I was hoping to complete it but I could only wait so long having to face such a slog of a drive back...the last time I remember I couldn't ait cause I was with someone needing to take the metro ..aaghh..

I recommend seeing these guys if you get the chance.. I'm not entirely convinced they are going to continue much longer... I'm not sure what the rationale is for Kapranos not going solo at this point.. the bands albums have seen diminishing returns since the first one (even though the third one is my favorite)... they'd have to pull off something incredible  to get some attention and new fans....I think in the rest of the world they've found it easier as fans are a bit more loyal for longer...anyways, i guess this short tour of the US is to play some secondary markets and maybe test out the new band probably with the intention of recording a new album and playing major markets in 2018? Just a guess...

hemisphire

« Reply #2606 on: June 16, 2017, 03:06:51 pm »
^ yeah, that was only downside of the night, getting out of the lot at the end.... I went in the West Lot and parked all the way over by a set of closed gates I thought they might open for exiting like they do (or did) at Nissan.... no such luck, only one exit at the other end I came in at and 1000 cars jockeying to get out through it.... took me almost as long just to travel the 200 feet to get out of the lot as it did to go the 50 miles to get there from Naptown before the show..... anyway, still an enjoyable evening, couldn't ask for better weather and sound was good where I was.....

They never open the 2nd set of gates in the west lot. Parking closer to the main entrance is the best option.

One of the best thing about sold out shows there is they let you park on the street, then leaving is much easier.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #2607 on: June 19, 2017, 10:03:30 am »
U2 in Philly: the Streets still are nameless. Good, not great show. The opening songs and the first 1/2 of JT is/are great, 2nd half is kind of slow. One of the problems of these "play the record in full" type shows is there are always songs on any record  . . .. If you are going to FedEx have fun! and share your parking, traffic nightmares.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BVgX_MZBDsB/?taken-by=jdginstagramz   

bearman🐻

« Reply #2608 on: June 19, 2017, 10:22:51 am »
U2 in Philly: the Streets still are nameless. Good, not great show. The opening songs and the first 1/2 of JT is/are great, 2nd half is kind of slow. One of the problems of these "play the record in full" type shows is there are always songs on any record  . . .. If you are going to FedEx have fun! and share your parking, traffic nightmares.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BVgX_MZBDsB/?taken-by=jdginstagramz   

I went as well. I haven't seen U2 as many times as others, but I loved the show and I'll start with the positives: easy to get in/out (though we left during "Beautiful Day"), the stage was impressive as hell. Incredible scenery and really elevated the Joshua Tree songs. Incredible sound. Really nice performance overall. Maybe not the best, but it felt like a greatest hits set plus the Joshua Tree, and I was OK with that. Maybe a few more songs would have been nice.

The negatives: audience was very meh. Low energy level. I blame that on the heat and humidity. People were passing out left and right and needing medical attention. All in all though, I had a great time and thought songs like "Exit" and "One Tree Hill" are pretty stellar in a live setting. Also there was nearly one hour between the Lumineers (ugh) and U2. That seemed to kill a lot of the enthusiasm and momentum as people waited for the band and grew wearier by the minute.

One last note: the Edge was on my train back to DC with his bodyguard. Lovely guy, couldn't have been more pleasant. He smiles a lot.

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #2609 on: June 19, 2017, 11:54:46 am »
I was in Philly in ga up by the main stage.  I thoroughly enjoyed the show.  I was skeptical of them performing side 2 of Joshua Tree but I was surprised at the energy of some of the slower songs (i.e. Exit).  Philly is always easy exit if you park near side that lets out onto 95 S.  Agree crowd was a low-energy 1st half of show, but picked up towards the end.  The video show and screens were pretty damn impressive.