Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1268549 times)

bearman🐻

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #3645 on: October 08, 2019, 09:42:03 am »
Loved the Luna show.  I thought they were in a nice groove their entire set.  Penthouse is such a great record.  It was the best Luna show I've seen since they resurfaced in 2015.  Dean's guitar playing shimmered.   Justin often had a brush in one hand and stick in the other.  The sound overall was great, though I do agree with Hutch - Britta's vocals were up too high.  Highlight for me was a blissful "Hedgehog".  As far as the set length goes- 17 songs seems to be about the average on this tour (some venues got 15, so I can't complain).

Always a pleasure running across Hutch and Bearman.

Completely agree. Hutch, I think when you see a lot of shows a band like Luna can be underwhelming. In 1997, I saw Aphex Twin one night and Luna the next. I just felt so exhausted during Luna's set that night. I feel like they'll be around a bit...I can see them working on more new music. Dean is just not an enigmatic performer, but as a unit I thought they were fantastic. When they got into those great stretches during "23 Minutes", "Kalamazoo", "Freakin' and Peakin'" and "Friendly Advice", I just thought they were on fire. But when you're around a lot of live music, Luna is much more of an acquired taste. There's nothing fancy about them. They're a band you just have to absorb and go with.

Went to see a Jason Narducy house show last night in Baltimore. It was so excellent. I think he's really found a great format to present his music, and I hope that any time he comes around you all try to check out one of his shows. Criminally-underrated as a songwriter, and he's got some cool music coming out: a musical in Chicago in January, and in spring his band Split Single will release a new LP and Mike Mills is playing bass and Jon Wurster is on drums. Definitely something to look out for.

bearman🐻

« Reply #3646 on: October 08, 2019, 09:42:54 am »
Loved the Luna show.  I thought they were in a nice groove their entire set.  Penthouse is such a great record.  It was the best Luna show I've seen since they resurfaced in 2015.  Dean's guitar playing shimmered.   Justin often had a brush in one hand and stick in the other.  The sound overall was great, though I do agree with Hutch - Britta's vocals were up too high.  Highlight for me was a blissful "Hedgehog".  As far as the set length goes- 17 songs seems to be about the average on this tour (some venues got 15, so I can't complain).

Who is Justin?

I think he meant Lee Wall. Justin was the old bass player.

hutch

« Reply #3647 on: October 08, 2019, 09:43:24 am »
Well they are playing like 27 songs

The second half of new album picks up pace from death march on Bataan start

Yada

« Reply #3648 on: October 08, 2019, 09:43:43 am »
Sturgill Simpson and Co were great last night, played just a little over 2 hours (first hour was the new album in it's entirely and last hour was all older material), I was surprised as to how low key it was onstage (lights were static, no guitar switching out every song..actually he played the same guitar the entire show, etc), their performance more than made up for that boring ass show they did at Constitution Hall a few years back.  By the way was anyone up front to see why one of his doofy crew guys came barreling onstage to confront someone in the front until Sturgill told him to back off?  I'm assuming it was just for taking pictures but just curious.

Unbelievable show... Those guys are a helluva band, wow. Couldn't have been more happy with the set/crowd/etc.

I was fairly close and actually thought he was doing something with the drumset, but I guess I was wrong.

Pretty touching story to start the show as well by the vet.

cc: Luna/Built to spill, you guys are old and boring.

Yeah at some point during the show a crew guy came out to adjust the drumset but at the very beginning (as Sturgill was tuning up before they had started playing) something happened where one of them got onstage and confronted someone in the front row and Sturgill told him to relax that they were clear (or something like that) and that there were too many cooks and went on a tangent about that before they started playing.

uhhh yes...Not sure what happened.

Additionally, was awesome to see this in a small club as I can't imagine the new album translating as well in a booming Anthem sound system. We shall see.

hutch

« Reply #3649 on: October 08, 2019, 09:58:06 am »
Penthouse is one of my favorite albums. The thing I noticed most was Wareham’s great guitar work and how many leads are his.

Nostalgia shows can be a weird trip.

It’s probably unfair to look at a show based on its context.

If Luna has gone on at 9:30 and played five more songs and the crowd had been 10 years younger I might have felt different even if the performances had been the same.

Bagley

« Reply #3650 on: October 08, 2019, 10:05:47 am »

Who is Justin?

I think he meant Lee Wall. Justin was the old bass player.

Yes,  thanks for clarifying Bearman.  Am I mistaken or has Sean taken more lead guitar parts in the past?

Space Freely

« Reply #3651 on: October 08, 2019, 10:11:29 am »
Penthouse is one of my favorite albums. The thing I noticed most was Wareham’s great guitar work and how many leads are his.

Nostalgia shows can be a weird trip.

It’s probably unfair to look at a show based on its context.

If Luna has gone on at 9:30 and played five more songs and the crowd had been 10 years younger I might have felt different even if the performances had been the same.

I used to want longer shows, but 90 mins is plenty for me these days.

What do you think the average crowd age was? I didn't seen anyone older than me, and thought most were noticeably younger than myself. Hell, there were even a few little kids on the crowd.

hutch

« Reply #3652 on: October 08, 2019, 10:42:47 am »
OMG I wish show had gone on another hour!!

Average age was 45.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #3653 on: October 08, 2019, 11:05:23 am »
that last Luna show I saw (I think the reunion show at 930) was pretty underwhelming overall. I considered the show this past Saturday though but got lazy...too bad they don't ever play Baltimore.
(_|_)

nkotb

« Reply #3654 on: October 08, 2019, 11:12:26 am »
My "post show banter" is that the Sturgill Simpson show was "very good" and also that there was more weed openly smoked at this show than anything I've seen since maybe like Cypress Hill lol

Vas Deferens

« Reply #3655 on: October 08, 2019, 11:15:56 am »
I heard that there were no women at that Sturgill show.
(_|_)

hutch

« Reply #3656 on: October 08, 2019, 11:20:40 am »
I know one woman who went

Vas Deferens

« Reply #3657 on: October 08, 2019, 11:26:50 am »
it was an exaggeration obviously, maybe 95% men?
(_|_)

nkotb

« Reply #3658 on: October 08, 2019, 11:36:45 am »
It might have been just where I was standing, but in my area, it was probably 60 / 40 men to women ratio. 

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #3659 on: October 08, 2019, 11:42:44 am »

Completely agree. Hutch, I think when you see a lot of shows a band like Luna can be underwhelming. In 1997, I saw Aphex Twin one night and Luna the next. I just felt so exhausted during Luna's set that night. I feel like they'll be around a bit...I can see them working on more new music. Dean is just not an enigmatic performer, but as a unit I thought they were fantastic. When they got into those great stretches during "23 Minutes", "Kalamazoo", "Freakin' and Peakin'" and "Friendly Advice", I just thought they were on fire. But when you're around a lot of live music, Luna is much more of an acquired taste. There's nothing fancy about them. They're a band you just have to absorb and go with.

Went to see a Jason Narducy house show last night in Baltimore. It was so excellent. I think he's really found a great format to present his music, and I hope that any time he comes around you all try to check out one of his shows. Criminally-underrated as a songwriter, and he's got some cool music coming out: a musical in Chicago in January, and in spring his band Split Single will release a new LP and Mike Mills is playing bass and Jon Wurster is on drums. Definitely something to look out for.

Nice to see you at the Narducyfest. Was a lot of fun.