Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1268215 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #4935 on: June 02, 2023, 03:29:01 pm »
Taj Mahal was a lttile to MOR for me.  Glad he played last, we got a jump on the traffic.

in case this is helpful to others, 'cause it took me a minute to figure out (maybe): i believe "MOR" stands for "middle of the road."
<sig>

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #4936 on: June 02, 2023, 03:39:43 pm »
Taj Mahal was a lttile to MOR for me.  Glad he played last, we got a jump on the traffic.

in case this is helpful to others, 'cause it took me a minute to figure out (maybe): i believe "MOR" stands for "middle of the road."

Male Oriented Rock
Mahal Oriented Rock
Metal Oriented Rock
Magic Oriented Rock
Meal Oriented Rock (aka dinner music)
Mariner Oriented Rock (aka yacht rock)
Midget Oriental Rock
Medical Oriented Rock
Miscellaneous Oriented Rock

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4937 on: June 02, 2023, 03:46:15 pm »
Mariner Oriented Rock
The best Lana Del Rey album by a mile.
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4938 on: June 02, 2023, 04:13:48 pm »

quite popular in Seattle.
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #4939 on: June 02, 2023, 05:45:37 pm »

Only current MLB team to never go to the Wot Series

« Reply #4940 on: June 02, 2023, 07:33:35 pm »

Chrissy Hynde joined him??

Only current MLB team to never go to the Wot Series
they didn't readth series of high fantasy novels by American author Robert Jordan
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #4941 on: June 04, 2023, 10:14:36 am »
Dead & Company setlist included a great cover of Miles Davis' Milestones, and a Ripple encore!

Yada

« Reply #4942 on: June 07, 2023, 09:34:57 am »
Is it me? Am I getting old? Can I still have fun?

I've seen the Pixies probably five times in 25 years... last night seemed pretty much a run through the motions operation. I'm not expecting fireworks for every show, but just kind of ripped through a bunch of songs non stop without much emotion at all.

Re: Atlantis...

I need to get there earlier or attend a hobo show to get a feel for the place, but it was indeed PACKED last night. The bass drum nearly caused arrhythmia... I only used the bathroom once on the ground level, but not easy to get to during a packed show. I was wondering WTF there were no urinals and only two toilets in the bathroom and when I came out I realized I used the she/her bathroom by accident. A patron prior to me looked like she/her ripped the toilet paper dispener off the wall already. $25 for two dogfish head IPAs. Also, a strange little barrier between the back of the club and the soundboard that really didn't do anything but cause confusion.

Multiple legends in attendance, including but not limited to challenged, hutch, sidebaser, bearman (raging the rail, was there a rail?), todd71727, and his majesty Seth.

Also, Andy's pizza is the best thing to happen around those parts in a long time... Good pizza, quick, nice beer selection...

« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 09:37:29 am by Yada »

bearman🐻

« Reply #4943 on: June 07, 2023, 11:52:35 am »

I've seen the Pixies probably five times in 25 years... last night seemed pretty much a run through the motions operation. I'm not expecting fireworks for every show, but just kind of ripped through a bunch of songs non stop without much emotion at all.

I need to get there earlier or attend a hobo show to get a feel for the place, but it was indeed PACKED last night. The bass drum nearly caused arrhythmia... I only used the bathroom once on the ground level, but not easy to get to during a packed show. I was wondering WTF there were no urinals and only two toilets in the bathroom and when I came out I realized I used the she/her bathroom by accident. A patron prior to me looked like she/her ripped the toilet paper dispener off the wall already. $25 for two dogfish head IPAs. Also, a strange little barrier between the back of the club and the soundboard that really didn't do anything but cause confusion.

Multiple legends in attendance, including but not limited to challenged, hutch, sidebaser, bearman (raging the rail, was there a rail?), todd71727, and his majesty Seth.

Also, Andy's pizza is the best thing to happen around those parts in a long time... Good pizza, quick, nice beer selection...

I think my expectations are in check for the Pixies, because I've been seeing them since 1990. They haven't really changed that much since then...first time I saw them they played 2/3 of all their songs and just steam-rolled through. No banter, no encore. Interestingly, up front I felt like nobody was on top of me, and I had plenty of room. Of course, I'm a spazz and maybe they were afraid to be near me too. And maybe folks in the back were crushed a bit more. That sounds unpleasant. I had an absolute blast...even with earplugs, my ears were ringing when I got home. It was LOUD. It gave me flashbacks to the old club where the sound up front might not have been so balanced, but you felt the waves of sound and energy coming right at you. It can be pretty thrilling. I am very, very happy that this was my first show at Atlantis. I loved it.

Yada

« Reply #4944 on: June 07, 2023, 12:06:12 pm »

I think my expectations are in check for the Pixies, because I've been seeing them since 1990. They haven't really changed that much since then...first time I saw them they played 2/3 of all their songs and just steam-rolled through. No banter, no encore. Interestingly, up front I felt like nobody was on top of me, and I had plenty of room. Of course, I'm a spazz and maybe they were afraid to be near me too. And maybe folks in the back were crushed a bit more. That sounds unpleasant. I had an absolute blast...even with earplugs, my ears were ringing when I got home. It was LOUD. It gave me flashbacks to the old club where the sound up front might not have been so balanced, but you felt the waves of sound and energy coming right at you. It can be pretty thrilling. I am very, very happy that this was my first show at Atlantis. I loved it.

Glad you had fun! It was definitely loud...but the bass drum was the only thing giving me a bit of issue, heart related, not ears!

« Reply #4945 on: June 07, 2023, 12:20:52 pm »

I can't argue with your sentiment as it felt a little like they were just performing as if no one was in the crowd
Paz actually looked at the crowd and smiled and acted kind of silly, but not a single word from frank
I still loved it and had a great time, but didn't seem like a small-capacity club show

28 songs nonstop, no opener and no encore
they played a smattering of the new stuff too, was surprised no Monkey, Bone Machine or Catcus, but it's nice to see they are really mixing up their set lists and not just playing the same 15 songs every night

the sound was soo tight, I can think of very few concerts where I could understand every lyric the singer was singing
Didn't need earplugs either
being a few feet in front of Joey was pretty special as you could see and felt his guitar work ...every single note
was so great to watch him all over the fretboard.   he's not the showy guitarist but did love it when he used his hat for that one solo
Drums and bass were on point, I think Paz is kick ass and yes I missed Kim but she's a pretty solid addition as a Pixie, she's no lightweight
Lovering is a machine, I love how he finishes Here comes your man, really felt the punch live of his drums

I guess it pays to get there early as it was very spacious upfront once you had your spot.  There wasn't a constant push of people trying to wiggle their way in. With that said, I wasn't drinking, so never left to get a beer or bathroom...Hutch made it back a few times, but seemed a lot of work

IMO I think Atlantis is designed really well for a small club, I'm looking forward to catching some shows here in the future
Still no wifi and a dead zone inside
slack

Yada

« Reply #4946 on: June 11, 2023, 09:04:45 am »
Well holy shit that was the show I needed to break in The Atlantis....

According to my notes, I haven't seen Yo La Tengo since 2006? 2007? Anyway, it's been a long time and wow.

The first set which was generally mellow and quiet, you could hear a pin drop. The second set was basically perfect with 66 year young Ira Kaplan showing more enthusiasm than the entire other band I saw at said venue earlier this week.

Ira told a few little stories,  dedicated a tune to Gus, and seemed amped to be next door tonight. In an alternate universe,  I'd be going tonight and eating dinner at Andy's for the 3rd time this week.

It bums me out that I missed a decade in a half of these guys on the road.

The legends contradiction and Vas spotted... the city was poppin' for pride.

nkotb

« Reply #4947 on: June 12, 2023, 01:28:20 pm »
Yeah, another killer YLT show.  Didn't see anyone I knew, but if you complimented a guy's Cactus Jack shirt, it was nice meeting you. Also, Story of Yo La Tango is probably my favorite YLT extended jam, so that was a super cool treat.

First time at the Atlantis, and it's really nice to be able to see a show in such a small venue.  My next one is X, and I think that will rule.  That said, it's a little too much forced nostalgia for my taste.  I'm probably being a curmudgeon, but man, just let it be it's own space.  It's definitely odd to be in a facsimile of a punk club that required an app for entry, and a credit card for my $11 Pacificos.

I had to listen to a couple next to me debate whether the crow's nest seat was the original chair or ring or both for like 45 minutes.

Hutch

« Reply #4948 on: June 12, 2023, 01:47:52 pm »
Well?? And what did they determine???

nkotb

« Reply #4949 on: June 12, 2023, 01:55:50 pm »
Seat was the original seat (or was it?). Circle for the rig was too large to be the original (or was it?).  Also the lady got crushed at a Jane's Addiction show...they were glad YLT wasn't a "thrash" show.

Well?? And what did they determine???