Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1807273 times)

Cock Van Der Palm

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #5490 on: August 26, 2024, 12:43:57 pm »
I hate tribute bands.  I randomly saw a "good" tribute band Brit Floyd (or whatever they are called now) at Red Rocks, and the whole time everything was just off and I couldn't look past that.

hutch

« Reply #5491 on: August 26, 2024, 02:15:54 pm »
Depends on the band and context…then again only tribute band I recall paying for was in 2000s when I was insanely into AC/DC and they weren’t touring..so I paid to see Live Wire at State Theatre. They were good…

Am interested in seeing Caligula Blushed but never have.

Space Freely

« Reply #5492 on: August 26, 2024, 02:38:46 pm »
The only two tribute acts I've seen were Almost Queen (A-) and Bruce in the USA (B or B-) Both were free and both were acts that I really like (and in the case of Freddie, never got to see.)

Looks like Caligula Blushed might be fun because their setlist is much better than Morrissey's current setlist, and they're more likely to show up.

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #5493 on: August 26, 2024, 02:59:59 pm »
I saw Caligula Blushed once at Ottobar. They weren't bad although I don't think they had their regular guitarist. I've seen terrible Talking Heads and Beatles tribute bands.  I think I wouldn't mind seeing The Fab Faux.

Depends on the band and context…then again only tribute band I recall paying for was in 2000s when I was insanely into AC/DC and they weren’t touring..so I paid to see Live Wire at State Theatre. They were good…

Am interested in seeing Caligula Blushed but never have.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5494 on: August 26, 2024, 04:27:02 pm »
i saw an excellent Pink Floyd tribute band in 1994, they were doing something called The Division Bell tour...
<sig>

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #5495 on: August 26, 2024, 10:56:10 pm »
Haha.  I saw that one too.

i saw an excellent Pink Floyd tribute band in 1994, they were doing something called The Division Bell tour...

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5496 on: August 27, 2024, 08:31:13 am »
So any banter from Jack White night one?
T.Rex

jb1677

« Reply #5497 on: August 27, 2024, 08:43:05 am »
So any banter from Jack White night one?

It was a good night.  We arrived around 6 and line was around the block.  Doors opened on time at 6:30 and they moved pretty quick checking people in and getting the crowd inside.  The opener (Evil Twin) took the stage at 8, they were lackluster.  Jack and band took the stage at 9 sharp, played 12 is songs plus a 3 song encore an were completely done by 10:20 or so.  The set was pretty awesome, very heavy and high energy song choices.  The set felt a bit short overall but time wise it seems consistent (but lower end of the scale) with other shows.  Only true gripe, the AC either broke or was shut off just before the show started, you could feel cool air blowing BEFORE the show then nothing - it got HOT!

Looking forward to night 2 tonight.  Allegedly there may be a secret night 3 somewhere too.........

nkotb

« Reply #5498 on: August 27, 2024, 09:14:47 am »
A few things to get out of the way first:

1. Meg White is one of the greatest drummers of all time.

2. The White Stripes were cool as hell.

3. I've never listened to a full solo album except the new album (which does rock)

4. I've never paid to see him solo before and probably wouldn't again.

That said, the show was a blast.  His new album really is a return to form, it seems, and he was really into it.  Played about 5 or 6 Stripes songs and not the usual hits: Cannon, Little Bird, Hotel Yorba, Dead Leaves, Black Math and something else I think I'm forgetting.  Fun time, but I don't think i would've had as much fun in a larger space.

Show was packed, but it wasn't too bad to get a decent spot.  Showed up around 8:20 or so to find plenty of street parking close, no line at the door, but a WALL of folks at the top of the steps.

Wish Des Demonas had opened this one.  Evil Twin was one of the dullest bands I think I've ever seen. 

nkotb

« Reply #5499 on: August 27, 2024, 09:57:11 am »
Also, Pissed Jeans ruled as always.  Had a good year of bands not playing encores...we need more of that.

edhochuli was pretty good, but not something I'd listen to much I don't think.  Kind of prog / punk metal...the band looked like they were having the time of their lives.

Opener was a band from Baltimore called Muscle...they ripped.  Bass / drum / vocalist...just punk shredder after punk shredder.  I'd love to catch them again, but I have a feeling they wouldn't play DC anytime soon.

nkotb

« Reply #5500 on: August 27, 2024, 01:48:59 pm »
Oh, one other Jack White thought...

Years ago, I was at O'Hare and the Raconteurs happened to walked past me.  Everyone was dressed in their best Jake Jack White™. Like, you're traveling, guy...let the band be comfy!  They don't need to be in bowlers and vintage three-piece suits or whatever to sit on a plane.

So last night, I noticed the roadies were all dressed in their best Jake Jack White™ as well...shirt & tie, vests, fedoras, those little things that go on your arm to bunch up the sleeves (the name is probably somewhere in a Julian's American post, but I'm too lazy to look it up).

Then the band hits the stage and are just dressed normal?  It wasn't until the end that I realized it was only the road crew...even the merch and sound guy had to wear their dumb little outfits. 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2024, 02:58:31 pm by nkotb »

« Reply #5501 on: August 27, 2024, 02:51:56 pm »
you keep saying Jake, but I think you mean Jack

because this guy dresses like a schlub
https://jakewhite.com/
slack

nkotb

« Reply #5502 on: August 27, 2024, 02:59:01 pm »
lol stupid auto-correct / copy & paste.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #5503 on: August 27, 2024, 03:13:02 pm »
Oh, one other Jack White thought...

Years ago, I was at O'Hare and the Raconteurs happened to walked past me.  Everyone was dressed in their best Jake Jack White™. Like, you're traveling, guy...let the band be comfy!  They don't need to be in bowlers and vintage three-piece suits or whatever to sit on a plane.

So last night, I noticed the roadies were all dressed in their best Jake Jack White™ as well...shirt & tie, vests, fedoras, those little things that go on your arm to bunch up the sleeves (the name is probably somewhere in a Julian's American post, but I'm too lazy to look it up).

Then the band hits the stage and are just dressed normal?  It wasn't until the end that I realized it was only the road crew...even the merch and sound guy had to wear their dumb little outfits. 

Sleeve Garters
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeve_garter

jb1677

« Reply #5504 on: August 28, 2024, 12:44:30 pm »
Last nights Jack White show was once again fantastic.  We arrived around 6:30, line was stretched around two corners of the building.  Doors opened at 7 and it took another 30 minutes to get in.  The opener Des Demonas came on around 8:15, despite a bit of technical difficulty halfway through their set (where they were saved by one of those spiffy dress roadies) they still put on a great show.  Would certainly check them out again given the opportunity.

Jack and band took the stage at 9:15 and played a fantastic set.  I would say 60% overlap with previous night but enough change-ups to keep things interesting.  They played a few more songs than the night before followed by a 3 song encore wrapping up around 10:45 or so.  Sound was fantastic, cleaner, and more refined than BlackCat (which probably goes without saying) but somehow didn't feel quite as engaging.  The Black Cat performance felt more raw and fitting for the material he selected for this tour. 

Was looking forward to catching up on sleep tonight but I guess I will be hitting a third show at the Atlantis.