Author Topic: SUPER BOWL  (Read 38183 times)

Space Freely

Re: SUPER BOWL
« Reply #120 on: February 05, 2019, 04:33:07 pm »
Well my comment about American Football is probably wishful thinking but you never know....Donald Trump is President and Bill Cosby is in jail...I also don’t see many people letting their kids play the game....in my circle of acquaintances I only know two people with young kids that play... Tom Brady’s dad famously said many years ago that knowing now what he didn’t know then he would not have let Tom Brady play at the time he did

Participation is down, but there's a long way to go before extinction.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/08/28/high-school-football-participation-continues-to-drop-as-concerns-over-cost-injuries-persist/?utm_term=.432b21b40640

hutch

« Reply #121 on: February 05, 2019, 04:37:50 pm »
Of course....it’s unlikely to happen but it could happen....the last years have taught us anything can happen

hutch

« Reply #122 on: February 05, 2019, 04:40:47 pm »
I mean schools might ban it due to concerns about getting sued...anything could happen

« Reply #123 on: February 05, 2019, 05:36:53 pm »
also...Joe Strummer
while he's not the musical genius of people like Dylan, Bowie, James Brown and Superorganisam
his influence is huge...if not on music and musicians in general ...me in particular

Listening to the clash as a pre-teen in no simple terms, changed my life
They impacted so many areas of my life then and now...

Now if I'd been 30 and heard the clash, not sure it would have been the same...

there is no moment in watching other people play sports that ever had that kind of impact (for me)

participating in sports as an individual and on teams....as well as alternative sports like skateboarding
those things had a huge impact on my life

How has watching pro sports had an impact on your life?
other than 600 Sundays spent indoors yelling at a screen

We need a new name for this thread.....Hyperbole much? 
how about SuperBole  or Super Brawl

« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 06:06:10 pm by IsAnOption ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #124 on: February 05, 2019, 06:12:26 pm »
Ok fellas...how much avg time do you spend ANNUALLY on watching/attending sporting 'things'

based on what people have said here...avg is 400+ hours a year for a bunch of you

you should include time spent reading box scores and watching ESPN like recaps/draft picks and 'fantasy' type things

also, I think sporting is not comparable to Arts like musical entertainment
You can feel free to eviscerate this comment

sporting events rarely have more than a few minutes of shelf life...where as music lasts generations

400 Hrs is less than 8 hours a week. I went from probably a 600+ hour routine (NBA, college basketball, MLB, NFL) to basically nothing.

I go to a couple of Nats or Orioles or Mets games a year.

Stopped watching Sports on TV altogether. Usually attend a SuperbOwl party, but skipped it this year.

I have replaced a lot of that time with show-going.  I have heard myself say something to the effect of: "My team never loses at the rock show."

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
« Reply #125 on: February 05, 2019, 06:24:14 pm »
How has watching pro sports had an impact on your life?
other than 600 Sundays spent indoors yelling at a screen

Watching professional sports got me into playing those sports in high school. Some of the friends I made playing sports remain among my closest.

Although I will say my sports watching has declined greatly in the last 2-3 years. I can't even stand to watch the NBA anymore and not only because the Wizards are a trainwreck. I watch the skins, catch the Caps when I can and go to half a dozen baseball games a season.

I've certainly lost at rock shows. Some i've seen were so disappointing that I regret having spent my time and money attending.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 06:31:04 pm by Schulzenstein »

Yada

« Reply #126 on: February 05, 2019, 07:40:28 pm »
Ok fellas...how much avg time do you spend ANNUALLY on watching/attending sporting 'things'

In the year 2018, less than 10.

I used to dedicate Sundays to binge drinking and football (pre children).  I watch baseball playoffs (sometimes), hockey playoffs (sometimes), and a football game or two per year at this point.

vansmack

« Reply #127 on: February 11, 2019, 09:19:12 pm »
Monday: West Ham v Liverpool (2 Hours)
Tuesday: Wolverhampton v Shrewsbury Town (2)
Wednesday: Everton v Man City (2), Warriors v Spurs (1.5*)
Saturday: Fulham v Man Utd (2), Liverpool v Bournemouth (1*), Huddesfield v Arsenal (1*), Pebble Beach Pro-Am (3.5*), Warriors v Suns (3*)
Sunday: Tottenham v Leicester (2), Man City v Chelsea (2), Pebble Beach Pro AM (4.5*)

So total last week: 26.5 hours, but that was a bit extra as Phil Mickelson was in contention at Pebble so I watched (I usually only watch the majors, or when Phil has a chance to win).  The weekday soccer matches are on in my office.

Also, the * indicates that I only had video on in the background and "we" were listening to music instead.
27>34

hutch

« Reply #128 on: February 11, 2019, 09:31:24 pm »
Man City was sick against Chelsea

Happy for Kun

Space Freely

« Reply #129 on: February 11, 2019, 09:32:11 pm »
Monday: West Ham v Liverpool (2 Hours)
Tuesday: Wolverhampton v Shrewsbury Town (2)
Wednesday: Everton v Man City (2), Warriors v Spurs (1.5*)
Saturday: Fulham v Man Utd (2), Liverpool v Bournemouth (1*), Huddesfield v Arsenal (1*), Pebble Beach Pro-Am (3.5*), Warriors v Suns (3*)
Sunday: Tottenham v Leicester (2), Man City v Chelsea (2), Pebble Beach Pro AM (4.5*)

So total last week: 26.5 hours, but that was a bit extra as Phil Mickelson was in contention at Pebble so I watched (I usually only watch the majors, or when Phil has a chance to win).  The weekday soccer matches are on in my office.

Also, the * indicates that I only had video on in the background and "we" were listening to music instead.

So when do you have time for housework and home improvement projects? Let me guess, you don't sleep?

hutch

« Reply #130 on: February 11, 2019, 11:04:27 pm »
Most people have maid services and use contractors...

I see them everywhere here in Arlington

Space Freely

« Reply #131 on: February 07, 2021, 09:30:34 pm »
The Weekend is no Bruno Mars.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #132 on: February 07, 2021, 09:46:30 pm »
Not the showman Mars is but I enjoyed it. I like his music better than Mars’. 

hutch

« Reply #133 on: February 07, 2021, 09:48:44 pm »
I thought that was pretty good...

I agree with STC: music wise much more up my alley than Bruno Mars

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #134 on: February 07, 2021, 10:05:18 pm »
That dizzy tunnel segment weakened my stomach.