Author Topic: Gastronomical Banter  (Read 457720 times)

James Ford

Re: Gastronomical Banter
« Reply #105 on: August 26, 2013, 07:12:58 pm »
Do any of y'all find yourself cooking better food than most restaurants, making going to restaurants kind of pointless? I mean my wife makes better Mexican food than almost any Mexican restaurant I've ever been to. And she's a white chick from Chicago.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #106 on: August 26, 2013, 07:36:28 pm »
any good but cheap korean (even take out)...i love Adam Express in Mt. Pleasant but looking for other
places.
(_|_)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #107 on: August 27, 2013, 07:47:58 am »
Do any of y'all find yourself cooking better food than most restaurants, making going to restaurants kind of pointless? I mean my wife makes better Mexican food than almost any Mexican restaurant I've ever been to. And she's a white chick from Chicago.

Will Killjoy appear in your obituary?
T.Rex

James Ford

« Reply #108 on: August 27, 2013, 08:33:22 am »
Doubt it. Though I listened to Minor Threat and Fugazi in an earlier life, i'm not related to Ian.

Will Killjoy appear in your obituary?

Yada

« Reply #109 on: August 27, 2013, 08:44:30 am »
El Pollo Rico FTW!
and Anthony Bourdain sez so

I was not aware of that, I just know it's about a mile from my house and the best!

Yada

« Reply #110 on: August 27, 2013, 08:49:10 am »

Depends on the food...

Am I going to make a killer bowl of Ramen better than Toki/Ren's? Absolutely not.

Am I going to make a rack of ribs or a steak better than some $40 options in the city? Quite Possibly.

Am I going to produce the same fine dining experience out of my home that you would experience at a place like Tosca, Fiola, Volt, Palena, Le Diplomate (all some of the better places we've dined in the last six months to a year). Absolutely not.

James Ford

« Reply #111 on: August 27, 2013, 09:00:10 am »
I agree to some extent. Neither of us makes Indian food as well as Rasika. Or as good as any Indian restaurant for that matter. So if we want Indian better than James Ford following a recipe, we're forced to get it elsewhere.

Still, I'm not a fan of dealing with slow service, making shitchat with servers who too often get the bill wrong, or having to eat in a room full of strangers. Call me strange I guess.

Depends on the food...

Am I going to make a killer bowl of Ramen better than Toki/Ren's? Absolutely not.

Am I going to make a rack of ribs or a steak better than some $40 options in the city? Quite Possibly.

Am I going to produce the same fine dining experience out of my home that you would experience at a place like Tosca, Fiola, Volt, Palena, Le Diplomate (all some of the better places we've dined in the last six months to a year). Absolutely not.

stevewizzle

« Reply #112 on: August 27, 2013, 09:29:25 am »
Still, I'm not a fan of dealing with slow service, making shitchat with servers who too often get the bill wrong, or having to eat in a room full of strangers. Call me strange I guess.

you've sat at one or two bars in your life time, isn't this the same case with bars/bartenders?

personally, i enjoy just sitting my ass down, getting tons of delicious food and drinks put right in front of me, having a feast, and having to do little/no work.

hutch

« Reply #113 on: August 27, 2013, 09:31:52 am »

you've sat at one or two bars in your life time, isn't this the same case with bars/bartenders?

personally, i enjoy just sitting my ass down, getting tons of delicious food and drinks put right in front of me, having a feast, and having to do little/no work.

pffft..don't even take James FOrd seriously.. he is C H E A P and just keeps coming up with ways to rationalize it..

James Ford

« Reply #114 on: August 27, 2013, 09:39:27 am »
You're a lazy, lazy man.  ;)

Getting a draft beer is far less hassle than dealing with service for an entire meal...so I'll sacrafice....still I'd rather have a beer at home.

To me nothing beats the satisfaction of enjoying something that I myself have created. You don't get that sense of accomplishment at a restaurant.

James Ford

« Reply #115 on: August 27, 2013, 09:43:16 am »
It's called making sensible life decisions.

DC seems to be full of couples who put their kids in daycare all day long so that they can earn two salaries to be able to afford  fine dining and babysitter fees.

I'm not one of those people.

pffft..don't even take James FOrd seriously.. he is C H E A P and just keeps coming up with ways to rationalize it..

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #116 on: August 27, 2013, 09:43:52 am »

Getting a draft beer is far less hassle than dealing with service for an entire meal...so I'll sacrafice....still I'd rather have a beer at home.

To me nothing beats the satisfaction of enjoying something that I myself have created. You don't get that sense of accomplishment at a restaurant.

i think you only love the satisfaction . . . of telling us all about it.

Yada

« Reply #117 on: August 27, 2013, 09:49:27 am »
Bottom line... If the food is amazing and the service is above average, dining out is one of my favorite pastimes.

The problem with DC unless it's an ethnic joint is that there are few and far between good meals where you and a partner can dine for under $50.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #118 on: August 27, 2013, 09:51:22 am »
move out of the city . . . hippie.

hutch

« Reply #119 on: August 27, 2013, 09:51:30 am »

i think you only love the satisfaction . . . of telling us all about it.
l

this. is. it.