Author Topic: Gastronomical Banter  (Read 457598 times)

hutch

Re: Gastronomical Banter
« Reply #225 on: October 03, 2013, 10:31:54 am »
the belgian pizza at the hamilton is delish...i had no idea what belgian pizza was but this one comes with mussels

stevewizzle

« Reply #226 on: October 03, 2013, 12:11:41 pm »
I've been here twice and really, really enjoyed my meals here too. The second time I went I thought it was even better. Here's a little secret...they'll let you buy an extra portion of whiskey ribs to go for like $12 I think (suject to availability). The next night I took the ribs off the bone and made a bahn mi at home with cucumber, daikon radish, cilantro, shredded carrot, chiles, napa cabbage slaw and a dressing I made with lots of stuff like ginger, honey, lime, etc. It was insanely good.

that's a good use of the ribs, the banh mi idea.

$12 a person? those ribs are so fucking incredibly good, i would do this in a second.

listen to this man people.

slappy

« Reply #227 on: October 03, 2013, 04:38:17 pm »
I've been here twice and really, really enjoyed my meals here too. The second time I went I thought it was even better. Here's a little secret...they'll let you buy an extra portion of whiskey ribs to go for like $12 I think (suject to availability). The next night I took the ribs off the bone and made a bahn mi at home with cucumber, daikon radish, cilantro, shredded carrot, chiles, napa cabbage slaw and a dressing I made with lots of stuff like ginger, honey, lime, etc. It was insanely good.

How much for one rib?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNQRqAoT-2c

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #228 on: October 03, 2013, 04:45:59 pm »
fuck the cup, pour it my hand for a dime.  one of the best lines, ever.

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #229 on: October 03, 2013, 08:41:13 pm »
Little Serow was the tits when I went last year. From the food to the service to the ambiance, I loved every part of it. And yes, those ribs are amazing. We went on a Tuesday and were able to get a table for four around 8. Those were the days....

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #230 on: October 10, 2013, 12:06:14 pm »
I go to the Birchmere for the food. Anyone else?
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #231 on: October 11, 2013, 11:27:09 am »
Five Guys vs. Shake Shack.

Imma go with Five Guys.

James Ford

« Reply #232 on: October 11, 2013, 01:48:13 pm »
My wife went to my kid's school today to have lunch with my daughter. (Parents are encouraged to come have lunch with their kids.) She brought vegetarian pad thai in a plain white styrofoam container purchased at our local Thai restaurant.

She was reprimanded by the school lunch lady for "bringing in outside food. This place is like a restaurant, you wouldn't bring McDonalds into Mike's" (Well actually I wouldn't be caught eating at either of them). So apparently you can bring your own homemade or store purchased pre-packaged corporate food into their "restaurant", but not food prepared by a third party. (?)

She also said that they have the kids washing the tables (isn't that the job of the custodian/lunch lady?), so when my wife took my daughter to stand away from the table while that was being done, she was further reprimanded by the lunch lady , "You're supposed to remain seated at the table at all times."

No wonder why my wife wants to home school our kid.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #233 on: October 11, 2013, 01:51:59 pm »
My wife went to my kid's school today to have lunch with my daughter. (Parents are encouraged to come have lunch with their kids.) She brought vegetarian pad thai in a plain white styrofoam container purchased at our local Thai restaurant.

She was reprimanded by the school lunch lady for "bringing in outside food. This place is like a restaurant, you wouldn't bring McDonalds into Mike's" (Well actually I wouldn't be caught eating at either of them). So apparently you can bring your own homemade or store purchased pre-packaged corporate food into their "restaurant", but not food prepared by a third party. (?)

She also said that they have the kids washing the tables (isn't that the job of the custodian/lunch lady?), so when my wife took my daughter to stand away from the table while that was being done, she was further reprimanded by the lunch lady , "You're supposed to remain seated at the table at all times."

We are taking a good look at home schooling as well.

hutch

« Reply #234 on: October 11, 2013, 02:05:23 pm »

She also said that they have the kids washing the tables

the horror! what is next? will they have to flush their own toilet? isn't there an attendant for that?? you know the guy who gives you a paper towel to dry your hands with...

Yada

« Reply #235 on: October 11, 2013, 02:16:41 pm »
Did you know any normal kids that were home schooled when you were a child?

stevewizzle

« Reply #236 on: October 11, 2013, 02:17:14 pm »

i got a good laugh finding this in gastronomical banter.

Yada

« Reply #237 on: October 11, 2013, 02:20:42 pm »

Yeah, we need a new thread for children's education. Don't want to fuck up one of three good threads on this here board.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #238 on: October 11, 2013, 02:23:25 pm »
Did you know any normal kids that were home schooled when you were a child?

I don't recall knowing any home schooled kids when I was little.  But I know quite a few now ranging elementary - high school.  Nice, normal kids.

Does not belong in this thread so sorry for the diversion, but homeschooling really isn't as weird and isolating as many people think it is.  There are tons of co-ops, and many home school kids participate in public school sports...some even attend "specials" (PE, art, music) at whatever their elementary school would be. 

James Ford

« Reply #239 on: October 11, 2013, 02:29:36 pm »
If we can blabber on about overpriced DC restaurants, we can blabber on about school cafeterias, can't we?