Author Topic: Julian's America II: Electric Boogaloo  (Read 217460 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Julian's America II: Electric Boogaloo
« Reply #525 on: November 15, 2022, 09:31:05 pm »
this may start to fill the void left by the loss of Sir Rothschild:

Estée Lauder Agrees to Buy Tom Ford Brand in $2.8 Billion Deal
Tom Ford’s high-end fragrances routinely make best-seller lists, and the deal, the luxury industry’s biggest this year, also brings apparel to Estée Lauder, which had been strictly focused on beauty.
<sig>

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #526 on: November 15, 2022, 09:39:18 pm »
this may start to fill the void left by the loss of Sir Rothschild:

Estée Lauder Agrees to Buy Tom Ford Brand in $2.8 Billion Deal
Tom Ford’s high-end fragrances routinely make best-seller lists, and the deal, the luxury industry’s biggest this year, also brings apparel to Estée Lauder, which had been strictly focused on beauty.
Aerin Lauder’s husband Eric is my boss’ boss. Saw him last week in NY and that cool cat didn’t let this slip.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #527 on: December 15, 2022, 02:00:58 pm »
How is one celebrating Bernard Arnault finally pipping Elon Musk at the top?
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #528 on: January 09, 2023, 01:31:05 pm »
food security is about to become a major issue in JA:

Noma, Rated the World’s Best Restaurant, Is Closing Its Doors
The Copenhagen chef René Redzepi says fine dining at the highest level, with its grueling hours and intense workplace culture, has hit a breaking point: “It’s unsustainable.”

The chef René Redzepi will close his Copenhagen restaurant, Noma, for regular service at the height of its fame.

(...)

The decision comes as Noma and many other elite restaurants are facing scrutiny of their treatment of the workers, many of them paid poorly or not at all, who produce and serve these exquisite dishes. The style of fine dining that Noma helped create and promote around the globe — wildly innovative, labor-intensive and vastly expensive — may be undergoing a sustainability crisis.

(...)

The chef David Kinch, who last week closed his three-Michelin-starred restaurant Manresa, in Los Gatos, Calif., said, “the last 30 years were a gilded age,” when ambitious restaurants multiplied and became less formal and more exciting. His casual restaurants will remain open, but he said fine dining was no longer something he wanted to do himself, or to inflict on his staff, calling the work “backbreaking.”
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #529 on: February 01, 2023, 04:32:29 pm »
julian americans, rejoice!  no longer will you be forced to rub your well-hydrated elbows with the commoners in order to get your artificial intelligence needs met:

Introducing ChatGPT Plus
We’re launching a pilot subscription plan for ChatGPT, a conversational AI that can chat with you, answer follow-up questions, and challenge incorrect assumptions.

FINALLY!!!  i can only imagine what intellectual peaks will be summited now that JA has privileged access to AI...

"how do the poors carry on, day after day?"
"is pissing into the moat truly as gauche as it feels? and if so, does it still count if the hired help does it for me?"
"recommend a decent pomerol to go with caviar other than Pétrus"

possibilities are endless!!!
<sig>

« Reply #530 on: February 01, 2023, 05:15:36 pm »
You’re joking, but someone is going to use ChatGPT to write wine reviews at some point and there’s going to be a scandal.
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #531 on: February 01, 2023, 07:24:52 pm »
You’re joking, but someone is going to use ChatGPT to write wine reviews at some point and there’s going to be a scandal.

i don't know enough about the wine review scene to know if it'll be a scandal or not, but 100% certain that this will happen.  might already have.  real estate agents are using ChatGPT to write house listings ("look at the images and describe the house using terms from and in the style of other listings").  kids are using it to write their essays: "give me a 1,000 word essay on the causes of the American Civil War, written in the style of an 10th grade student" - and boom, your weekend is free to goof off.  i'm in a FB group dedicated to brewing sour beer, and one of the nerds asked two relatively complex questions and the answers were quite decent.  there was one flagrant mistake (brettanomyces is a yeast not a bacteria, duh!!!) but otherwise they were completely in line with what you'd expect to read in this community of experts.  had the OP not noted that the replied were from an AI, i'm sure no one would have noticed (other than being razzed for making a newbie error about brett)

brave new world.
<sig>

« Reply #532 on: February 01, 2023, 07:53:44 pm »
i don't know enough about the wine review scene to know if it'll be a scandal or not,
Thats why it’s called Julian’s Loire Valley and not Sweetcell’s Okanagan Valley.
LVMH

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
😐 🎶

« Reply #534 on: March 22, 2023, 08:23:31 pm »
Romy Mars (Coppola)

Here she comes in her palanquin/On the back of a TikTok elephant! In a kitchen without onion, pasta, or silk! All astride on her father's line/with her mother, a scion to wine!  And her babysitter’s boyfriend with her pitchers of liquors and milk!

And we'll all come praise the Infanta!

My cinemaphilic Americans, reschedule your spring and summer schedules! The dog days need not be spent in Venice! Ask not for whom the Golden Lion tolls, it tolls for she! Continue to Cannes this May but cast your eyes not upon the glitterati at the Festival Palais; the wonders of La Croisette and the recently reopened Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc in Antibes will be your entertainment! The 2024 Oscar race has end before it started: a Princess has emerged from her cocoon and she is everything! Everywhere! All at Once!

We have not been this rapturous about a film since the lesser Van Trier released Nymphomaniac! Indeed, we all come praise the cinematic spectacle that is Romy Mars!

Inheritress to Francis-Ford and Sofia’s keen eye and father Thomas Mars’ attuned ear, Romy has exploded into our consciousness with a talent forged the same way all the great have! No, not by hard work – by being born great! EGOTs await!

In just 50 short seconds, everything we thought we knew about film has been reduced to a paintjob in a Cook Out bathroom, the kind that poor people have that explodes back up the side of the toilet and makes them wonder if they should go to the ER. Let’s break this down second by second:

[00:00-00:09] Incredible right out of the well-appointed gates. Romy is an everyman. Who among us has not chartered a helicopter on our father’s credit card to visit a friend? Maryland remains somewhat sus -- is she mispronouncing Maldives -- but no director is birthed fully-formed. But what a thesis statement of intent!

[00:09-00:15] Who would know what an uncooked garlic or onion looks like? This is what the help is for! This is a tale of woe. Will it be one of triumph? We shall see!

[00:16-00:16] Imagery is otherworldly and disturbing. This is not light summer fare. There are stakes. Knives are out, if you will. And these knives are not Claude Dozorme or even a decent Laguoille replica. Rian Johnson has likely killed himself just seeing what she’s done here.

[00:16-00:27] Move over Sofia, your daughter has things to say about multigenerational wealth, growing up in the shadow of Hollywood where she sees but is not seen and of being a woman who is able to be commodified yet not truly valued. SOUNDS LIKE SOME FAMILIAR TERROIR, yes?

Critics will debate for the next five decades her decision here to signify her family with her father’s Grammy and not her mother’s Oscar or Golden Lion nor any of her grandfathers wine bottles. Is this a statement of the reflective triteness of the Grammys? An actual statement of value? A repudiation of her elder filmmaking family members that she has exceeded right out of the gate? A mission statement? Volumes shall be written!

This is the definitive discussion of nepotism (read: good old fashioned Julian's American hard work) in cinema, and no other entries need apply.

[00:27-00:30] This film has taken a turn. This is not an experiment in cooking set to film; it is body horror. The dissection of the ballsack (literal or otherwise) is Cronenbergian. But these are not the crimes of the future. This grounding has castrated her; these are the crimes of the present.

[00:30-00:37] Finally, a foil worthy of Ms Mars’ immense talent! Ari! As with most of the hired help – useless, overpaid, unable to identify his statutory charges from a random dog that has entered the frame. If that house burns down, it burns on your watch Ari!

[00:37-00:43] We judged ye too soon, Ari! Fiasca, because it’s feminine? Woman’s History Month INDEED. Nay, Womens Wear Daily PRESENT!

[00:43-00:49] The $70,000 Persian rug has been pulled out from under me again! Bravo Romy! The proletariat are the problem. And what a clever call back with “Part 2”. Yes, I think your family knows how to make those, dear. We sit in anticipation.

[Full disclosure: I babysat Ms. Mars during the taping of her father’s MTV Unplugged performance many years ago when her mother had to take a call. I found her coquettish, alert, and with hair to kill for even then. Bias exists!]

Julian's America Score: 10 of 10
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 09:43:21 pm by Julian, Adroit TASTEMAKER »
LVMH

« Reply #535 on: March 22, 2023, 10:09:21 pm »
I wish I could write like this

Is this a statement of the reflective triteness of the Grammys?

The commentary on this is hysterical
From jezabel
After rewatching the video approximately 18 times, I’ve concluded not only is it genuinely a work of art, but that nepo babies are....good? Well, they’re good if we let them exist in their natural habitats and are afforded glimpses like this into their worlds. Sure, they shouldn’t be given jobs they aren’t qualified for, and sure, it’s fun if not also medically healthy to complain about them.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 10:21:19 pm by IncludingAHat ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

nkotb

« Reply #536 on: March 22, 2023, 10:29:23 pm »
Being a nepo baby would be sick as hell

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #537 on: March 22, 2023, 11:59:58 pm »

is there no 11 in the JA scale of JA-ness?  because this is PEAK, my friends.

Sure, they shouldn’t be given jobs they aren’t qualified for

for example, making pasta?
<sig>

« Reply #538 on: March 23, 2023, 07:53:30 am »

is there no 11 in the JA scale of JA-ness?  because this is PEAK, my friends.

LVMH

« Reply #539 on: March 23, 2023, 10:46:40 am »
I have since watched this vid a few times
Rather unassuming at first, but the hype is not wrong, this is a masterpiece we will be talking about in 30 years
slack