Author Topic: Parenting issues  (Read 63868 times)

Re: Parenting issues
« Reply #225 on: June 23, 2022, 04:36:39 pm »
What's air conditioning?
I miss san Francisco

So when was the last drop of rain?
slack

Starsky

« Reply #226 on: June 23, 2022, 04:39:31 pm »
I hate ac but if it’s real hot you need it

When I feel it hitting my body it literally feels like it’s making me ill

Even typing this is bringing bad feelings

Yada

« Reply #227 on: June 23, 2022, 04:47:55 pm »
I missed this thread

Space Freely

« Reply #228 on: June 24, 2022, 07:58:47 am »
Us childless, unencumbered by finances couples never go above 70.

AC is cheap it's effect on the environment is not.
that argument is hogwash.
people who live in cold environments send WAAAY more pollutants into the air than AC units and their electrical draw

takes much more effort to heat from 25 to 68 than to cool from 95 to 72

Well the boss of my house insists on keeping multiple windows of the house open, "for the fresh air," even when it's 95 out and the AC is on. So my AC system is working as hard to bring my house down to 76 (74 at night) as yours is to bring it down to 72.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #229 on: June 24, 2022, 11:26:29 am »
people who live in cold environments send WAAAY more pollutants into the air than AC units and their electrical draw

where are you getting your information?

why are there brownouts or blackouts in the summer, but none during cold snaps in the winter?  because A/C draws more power.  and not everyone has A/C, but everyone has heating.

takes much more effort to heat from 25 to 68 than to cool from 95 to 72

no shit sherlock:

68 - 25 = 43 degree differential

95 - 72 = 23 degree differential
<sig>

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #230 on: June 24, 2022, 11:32:14 am »

why are there brownouts or blackouts in the summer, but none during cold snaps in the winter? 
Texas' ghetto ass powergrid would like a word.
LVMH

« Reply #231 on: June 24, 2022, 11:55:55 am »

Analyses of home-energy use reveal that we use more energy to heat our homes (41.7 million BTUs per year, on average, at a cost of $631) than to cool them (7.8 million BTUs, at $276).

homeowners in cold states like Minnesota were putting out 20 to 25 percent more carbon dioxide through the use of their heaters than were the A/C-happy folks in Florida.

Source

and not everyone has A/C, but everyone has heating.

Eighty-seven percent of American homes now have air conditioners, up from 68 percent in 1993,
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #232 on: June 24, 2022, 12:04:11 pm »

Analyses of home-energy use reveal that we use more energy to heat our homes (41.7 million BTUs per year, on average, at a cost of $631) than to cool them (7.8 million BTUs, at $276).

homeowners in cold states like Minnesota were putting out 20 to 25 percent more carbon dioxide through the use of their heaters than were the A/C-happy folks in Florida.

Source

and not everyone has A/C, but everyone has heating.

Eighty-seven percent of American homes now have air conditioners, up from 68 percent in 1993,

I actually found those numbers kind of shocking, because where i grew up in upstate NY, people just didn't have AC. My brother has since moved back to (a different part of) upstate NY, bought a large NEWish house on six acres, and STILL doesn't have AC.

But it appears your numbers are correct.

I did find this interesting. Shoutout to Sweetcell:

Ninety one percent of American households had central air or window units in 2019, according to the Census Bureau. But of the largest 15 metro areas, Seattle had the fewest homes with air conditioning, at 44%. Around 22% of Seattle households have central air, while 15% have air conditioning in no more than one room.

Starsky

« Reply #233 on: June 24, 2022, 12:22:59 pm »
A heat wave in Seattle is 80!

vansmack

« Reply #234 on: June 24, 2022, 01:34:55 pm »
Sweetcell doesn't live in Seattle.
27>34

« Reply #235 on: June 24, 2022, 01:35:46 pm »
Sweetcell doesn't live in Seattle.
a 300 mile radius of the area is ALL seattle
slack

vansmack

« Reply #236 on: June 24, 2022, 01:37:48 pm »
I miss san Francisco

So when was the last drop of rain?

About 3 weeks ago - it rained for about a day and a half.  But it was 92 on Monday of this week.  I even opened the front windows...
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #237 on: June 24, 2022, 01:39:03 pm »

Clearly, you've never been to Spokane.
27>34

« Reply #238 on: June 24, 2022, 02:32:51 pm »

Clearly, you've never been to Spokane.
nope...although it was almost out of the radius being 279 miles away

Sadly haven't gone more than 100 miles from the Atlantic ocean in the upper NW
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #239 on: June 24, 2022, 02:38:59 pm »
But of the largest 15 metro areas, Seattle had the fewest homes with air conditioning, at 44%. Around 22% of Seattle households have central air, while 15% have air conditioning in no more than one room.

this is changing very quickly.  give it a few more years and the PNW will catch up with the rest of the country, thanks to the annual heatwave we've been having here for the past 5 years or so.  living in rain and gloom for 7-8 months of the year means that folks don't do well in heat, i've heard many a local say that they held out on getting A/C as long as they could (it's a point of pride among many), but couldn't hold out any longer when the mercury hits 110*F.

smoke season (AKA forest fire season) is contributing as well: even in the middle of summer heat, the air gets refreshingly cool at night.  PNWers could traditionally get away with no A/C because you can cool your house by opening windows overnight and sealing in the cool air in the morning.  but when the air is orange with smoke and stings the eyes...  thanks climate change.
<sig>