Author Topic: Parenting issues  (Read 63824 times)

Re: Parenting issues
« Reply #270 on: December 21, 2022, 11:48:27 am »
I was more upset that my partner was pissed at me for yelling at my daughter about turning it up to 92.
how old is the kid
how could they possibly know turning a dial would cost $$
and unless the windows were open like spaces house, I doubt this cost more than the price of one draft beer at some fancy craft brewery
slack

Yada

« Reply #271 on: December 21, 2022, 11:52:37 am »
I was more upset that my partner was pissed at me for yelling at my daughter about turning it up to 92.
how old is the kid
how could they possibly know turning a dial would cost $$
and unless the windows were open like spaces house, I doubt this cost more than the price of one draft beer at some fancy craft brewery

I'm not concerned about the $$$... i was more concerned about our house burning down or our furnace blowing up going from 69 to 92.

6 years old.

« Reply #272 on: December 21, 2022, 12:02:32 pm »
i was more concerned about our house burning down or our furnace blowing up going from 69 to 92.

6 years old.
well on the list of things I'm not qualified to comment on is: HVAC systems...but with that said ;)
I think very little risk here
I assume the system is new in the last 25 years?
if so there are lots of saftey/shut off features that would prevent a fire/furnace explosion
also it just slowly tries to raise the heat, not like it turns some flame on to Ludacris flame levels to get to 92 in a few mins

cut the 6yr old some slack...it's a learning opportunity.  Should go show them the big scary furnace and how it's dangerous and not to play with it (althought that can backfire too) and show them how to change the air filter (you do that every 3-6 months, right)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 12:04:11 pm by Sidefusion ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

« Reply #273 on: December 21, 2022, 12:06:21 pm »
Early this morning we had a 6.4 earthquake     
Lived in SF for 7 years...never really an earthquake of note in that time
move back to VA in 2011 and within a few months experience the biggest earthquake in my life (5.8 ...but kinda far away)
slack

vansmack

« Reply #274 on: December 21, 2022, 12:30:15 pm »
Sturgill ruptured his Vocal Chords and was suffering from Hemorrhaging back in Sept 2021.  There's about 50/50 chance he ever sings again.
27>34

Yada

« Reply #275 on: December 21, 2022, 12:32:38 pm »
Sidepops... very nice advice and you must be a better father than me. I need to work on my patience in 2023.

I do know that for example with AC, if you blasts it down like 5+ degrees give or take vs. letting it cool slowly, it can freeze.

Based on "Bay Area Revelations" last night, SF is definitely due for a big one any moment!! Vibes to smackie!

« Reply #276 on: December 21, 2022, 12:38:29 pm »
Sidepops... very nice advice and you must be a better father than me.
surely not.  I yell at my kids all the time

I do know that for example with AC, if you blasts it down like 5+ degrees give or take vs. letting it cool slowly, it can freeze.
I don't think that is true
what is bad is start and restart the cooling multiple times. especially if you take the power out while it's trying hard to cool then plug it back in and keep doing that

that can fuck up your AC

not sure what type of HVAC you have, but my understanding is they all kind of go at the same rate and just shut off when they reach the same temp
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 12:48:11 pm by Sidefusion ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

vansmack

« Reply #277 on: December 21, 2022, 12:41:42 pm »
Based on "Bay Area Revelations" last night, SF is definitely due for a big one any moment!! Vibes to smackie!

I work in Hayward, where the most likely fault line to have over a 6.0 will happen in the Bay Area is, and LITERALLY while I was typing the Sturgill response we had a 3.1 in San Leandro, about 5 miles from here.  I leave for CO tomorrow so let's hope it happens while I'm gone.
27>34

Space Freely

« Reply #278 on: December 21, 2022, 12:52:09 pm »
Sturgill ruptured his Vocal Chords and was suffering from Hemorrhaging back in Sept 2021.  There's about 50/50 chance he ever sings again.

Did he record this before September 2021? It's an updated version of the title track of a 2022 album.

https://pitchfork.com/news/sturgill-simpson-joins-angel-olsen-on-new-big-time-listen/

vansmack

« Reply #279 on: December 21, 2022, 01:18:35 pm »

Did he record this before September 2021? It's an updated version of the title track of a 2022 album.

https://pitchfork.com/news/sturgill-simpson-joins-angel-olsen-on-new-big-time-listen/

No he did that and another studio cover of a track for a tribute album (John Anderson) but he says he can really only do one offs at this point.

EDIT:  Here's the John Anderson cover.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 01:24:07 pm by vansmack »
27>34

moeszyslak

« Reply #280 on: December 21, 2022, 01:29:03 pm »

Sturgill was on a bit with Colbert on The Late Show within the past two weeks.  It ended up being him hosting a karaoke night at a bar near Thule AFB.  He sang a Space Force song he wrote with Colbert, did a Top Gun duet of You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' with Colbert and sang along to Radar Love with a Space Force officer.

vansmack

« Reply #281 on: December 21, 2022, 01:39:07 pm »
There you go, the rumors of his demise have been exaggerated (though he isn't ripping stuff out like he used, I'll still take it).  This is great news and also shows how little I was paying attention to anything but the World Cup in the last month.   
27>34

Space Freely

« Reply #282 on: December 21, 2022, 06:26:55 pm »

No he did that and another studio cover of a track for a tribute album (John Anderson) but he says he can really only do one offs at this point.

EDIT:  Here's the John Anderson cover.

That whole John Anderson tribute album is excellent. The country guy, not the Yes guy.

« Reply #283 on: March 24, 2023, 10:54:57 am »
so my worst nightmare has happened: she is listening to coldplay
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #284 on: March 24, 2023, 11:41:09 am »
so my worst nightmare has happened: she is listening to coldplay

Is that worse than mine liking Mariah Carey?

Surely there must be a band your kid can score points with you because they hate that band?