Author Topic: Twitter thread  (Read 171595 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: Twitter thread
« Reply #885 on: May 31, 2022, 04:26:02 pm »
Perhaps we'd be better off if more people watched John Oliver.

Starsky

« Reply #886 on: May 31, 2022, 07:04:51 pm »
I don’t know…in some ways it’s just entertainment and people watch it cause they agree with it

Do these shows ever change anyone’s mind?

Real news is on PBS or the BBC in particular

Watching Oliver or in the old days Jon Stewart…..that’s just about snark and kind of exists to entertain and make you feel clever or something

Same with Bill Maher

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #887 on: May 31, 2022, 08:29:54 pm »
I don’t know…in some ways it’s just entertainment and people watch it cause they agree with it

Watching Oliver or in the old days Jon Stewart…..that’s just about snark and kind of exists to entertain and make you feel clever or something

Same with Bill Maher

i can agree, for the most part, about bill maher... but the information content in john oliver is much higher.  the guy has done deep-dives on utilities, compounding pharmacies and mobile homes - as sidehatch pointed out, these are topics that no one else is touching but are surprisingly important.  i genuinely learn something from his show (along with some laughs, and snark).
<sig>

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #888 on: May 31, 2022, 09:13:52 pm »

I don't know. Were people swayed by Alex Jones?

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #889 on: May 31, 2022, 09:25:44 pm »

Same with Bill Maher
I wouldn’t call it entertainment so much as I would “preaching to the choir.” John Oliver might educate someone on an issue but if they weren’t predisposed to agree with him on that issue, they aren’t going to “buy it” or probably even be a person who exists within the ecosystem that his clips have ubiquity. He is, as is a lot of content, “preaching the the choir.” He fires up people who agree with him, he doesn’t convince. It wasn’t designed to convince. It was designed to be blurbed and get interactions from a certain demographic of people.
LVMH

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #890 on: May 31, 2022, 09:32:06 pm »
I think the way that a John Oliver clip goes from a pay station (that few people pay for) to being regurgitated and quote tweeted and reposted intensely by a small ecosystem of social media until normal people not on “progressive Twitter” get it in their social media and its cross-shared/reviewed on AV Club and CNN because it (intentionally or not) triggers an algorithm (or algorithms, plural) is not dissimilar to why we all see anti-Amber Heard videos everywhere or how QAnon spreads. And I don’t think people understand this mechanism at play enough and how some people weaponize it and other people who exist within these feedback loops do not understand that what they’re seeing is neither as ubiquitous as they perceive it nor organic.
LVMH

Starsky

« Reply #891 on: May 31, 2022, 11:04:02 pm »
It’s all bullshit

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #892 on: June 03, 2022, 11:42:24 am »
The State or [sic] Florida threatened the Special Olympics with $27.5 MILLION in fines because the organization had a vaccine requirement at its games in Orlando this weekend.

Late yesterday, the Special Olympics pulled the requirement.

https://twitter.com/jayobtv/status/1532717916331950080

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #893 on: June 06, 2022, 12:40:41 pm »
lol:

Jon Cooper
@joncoopertweets

Just sayin’ — nobody has ever seen BOTH of these guys in the same place at the same time.

<sig>

GAY,GUY

« Reply #894 on: June 14, 2022, 05:25:41 pm »
"It’s wild that yesterday it was revealed that the former President of the United States committed wire fraud and the general reaction from smart people (and also me) is that nothing will happen to him."

- Elie Mystal

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #895 on: June 14, 2022, 06:57:17 pm »
Our library canceled James Patterson and with the extra space we now have a new 1000 sq ft community room

https://twitter.com/rantylibrarian/status/1536534939214090243?s=21&t=4OaM6PyHF8qjUbCAlkVFvg
T.Rex

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #896 on: June 16, 2022, 03:15:38 pm »
😐 🎶

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #897 on: June 16, 2022, 03:19:38 pm »
^ i wonder if they meant "lettuce"... "Lettice" is a man's name.
<sig>

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #898 on: June 16, 2022, 03:22:41 pm »
^ i wonder if they meant "lettuce"... "Lettice" is a man's name.

"Not a typo."
😐 🎶

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #899 on: June 16, 2022, 03:38:00 pm »
I don't get it. Is this like a mnemonic device to remember that there are 5 great lakes? It seems like it would be more useful if it spelled out SHEMO or something.