Author Topic: Meanwhile, in Canada...  (Read 79240 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Meanwhile, in Canada...
« Reply #180 on: June 25, 2021, 12:52:07 pm »
it's coming home.

<sig>

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #181 on: June 25, 2021, 12:53:17 pm »
I've never understand the appeal of duty free. It always seems like piles of overpriced garbage. Maybe I'm not the target audience.

100%. Duty Free is a huge ripoff. Used to be decent, I remember buying smokes for dirt cheap in Windsor 20 years ago. What really sucks is that they make you pay in USD or Euros, which is not only lame when you've got local currency to get rid of, but everything is just as expensive as they would be in the US or Europe, even in lower cost nations like in South America. Just stupid all around.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #182 on: June 25, 2021, 01:07:53 pm »
Duty Free is a huge ripoff. Used to be decent, I remember buying smokes for dirt cheap in Windsor 20 years ago.

this.  20 years ago i would save a chunk of change on cognac and smokes.  then i guess the duty free folks figured out that they have a captive audience who believes duty free was full of deals - so why not raise prices and increase margins?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 01:10:07 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #183 on: June 25, 2021, 02:16:47 pm »
duty free shopping in South Korea is no joke though... it's essential mall sized at the major airport and the amount of stuff buy is eye opening... electronics, booze, etc, etc...  saw people with bags and bags of duty free purchases.. they must have a serious VAT or something over there, people are avoiding
T.Rex

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #184 on: June 30, 2021, 09:21:00 pm »
Canada keeps it's borders closed to vaccinated Americans for at least another month. I love this guy's take.

"There's no other way to say it: another month's delay is bullshit," Rep. Brian Higgins (D-N.Y.), co-chair of the Congressional Northern Border Caucus, wrote Friday on Twitter.

Why Can’t Americans Go to Canada?
Many travelers are wondering why they still can’t visit their neighbor to the north. Here’s why the border remains closed.

<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #185 on: July 01, 2021, 03:29:49 pm »
Looking like July 21 might be the big date.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/06/25/july-21-us-canada-border-496415

I'm only loosely following this story because we're possibly going to Canada in Summer 2022. I'm sure they'll be open by then. Or open and closed again....

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #186 on: July 06, 2021, 01:28:47 pm »
border restrictions are slowly easing back for "essential" travellers, but still no tourism:

Canada eases travel restrictions at U.S. border after 16 months

all eyes still on july 21, when hopes are high that the border will be reopened for the fully vaxxed. 
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #187 on: July 16, 2021, 03:48:16 pm »
border restrictions are slowly easing back for "essential" travellers, but still no tourism:

all eyes still on july 21, when hopes are high that the border will be reopened for the fully vaxxed. 

just a little further, but almost there...

Fully vaccinated U.S. travellers may be allowed into Canada by mid-August, Trudeau says
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #188 on: July 16, 2021, 04:06:56 pm »
if you do decide to travel to Canada, you might want to avoid Ontario: their premier (AKA governor), Doug Ford (brother of former mayor of Toronto & noted crackhead Rob Ford) says that he won't be making vaccination for healthcare workers mandatory - even though healthcare workers want it to be mandatory.  fucking "constitutional conservatives"...
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #189 on: July 19, 2021, 01:44:44 pm »

just a little further, but almost there...

Fully vaccinated U.S. travellers may be allowed into Canada by mid-August, Trudeau says

confirmed: Canada to open border to fully vaccinated U.S. citizens on Aug. 9

"To be eligible for entry, fully vaccinated U.S. citizens and permanent residents must present a negative covid-19 molecular test taken within 72 hours of flight departure or arrival at a land crossing. They will also be required to upload proof that they have received a full series of an authorized coronavirus vaccine at least 14 days before departure to a Canadian government app.
(...)
The United States has not said whether it will allow Canadians to enter across the land border for nonessential travel."
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 01:47:02 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #190 on: July 19, 2021, 07:15:34 pm »
Proof of vaccine AND a negative test are why Canada may never win another Stanley Cup - they just don't understand how things work.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #191 on: July 21, 2021, 01:22:50 pm »
My apologies.  I don’t peruse that traitor thread.

you were saying...

Proof of vaccine AND a negative test are why Canada may never win another Stanley Cup - they just don't understand how things work.

US limits non-essential travel to Canada and Mexico through August 21 - this is somehow better?  at least americans have a way to get in, as awkward as it may be. 

while we're on the topic: How Justin Trudeau one-upped Joe Biden
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #192 on: July 21, 2021, 05:24:54 pm »
- this is somehow better? 

What do I care?

"The restrictions don't apply to...US citizens"
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.