Author Topic: The 2020 thread....  (Read 457505 times)

Re: The 2020 thread....
« Reply #1935 on: April 14, 2020, 07:55:21 am »
Only wish they'd done a little better on Pot reform..s
this is coming in the next two years.
What was the reasoning behind waiting?  Could have been a good job and tax revenue generator in 2020
and VA has been arresting (mostly poor minorities) at an alarming rate over the last few years
Virginia prosecuted 46,000+ marijuana cases in 2018
almost 20,000 people, most of them African Americans, were found guilty, leaving them with a criminal record
Wish they did something to address that
You know how screwed for life you are when you have a criminal record...even a misdemeanor, most people won't even consider hiring you
Just a state holiday...so not really sure that many people other than people working for the state of VA
but it's a start
It does nothing for the poorest percentage of the population whose jobs most interfere with getting to the polls.
That's what I thought, does essentially nothing (getting rid of Lee-Jackson day was a good move tho), but CNN and others ran this as the headline.  So many other big deal things were passed

I see it as a goal for federal government and we have to start somewhere
But I guess federal government can’t compel Texas , for example, right?
Not to mention the specter of Supreme Court overriding anything remotely progressive
I don't know how federal holidays work.  As a private business, you can operate on any day and compel your staff to work.  Any Gov't orgs (fed/state/local), Financial, probably most non-profits all get those days off.  So a federal holiday still wouldn't compel most employeers to give the day off...but if it was a federal holiday, I think that close to 75% of the working population would get to take advantage of that.
but not as Jules said...the working poor, as those jobs don't get holidays, PTO or sick days.  so they are still disenfranchised.  That's why early and votebymail are more important that a holiday imo

I have to believe come November Republicans are going to get wiped out
my schadenfreude might give me an aneurysm on that news

« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 08:07:06 am by absolute Side-power hatch ılıl|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|lılı »
slack

« Reply #1936 on: April 14, 2020, 08:20:02 am »
Glad to hear good news out of Wisconsin....sucks people may likely die because of it
although I'd like to talk to these 500 people John Delaney    534 votes    Tulsi had a strong showing, almost beating local Amy and beating Tom S and Yang

Rep. Justin Amash says he’s looking ‘closely’ at White House run w/ the libertarian party...kinda good news as someone old school republicans would feel good about voting for.  You would think the teaparty crew would love him...but as we've seen that was a bullshit revolution based mostly on racism
my only fear it is where the bernie bros will go
I think he would be great on the debate stage and really steal Trumps spotlight

Unrelated...
this is a shocking turn for someone who defended the president on the Senate floor
Jonathan Turley@JonathanTurley
President Trump just stated that the power of the federal government is "absolute."  That would effectively negate federalism and a variety of other constitutional principles. "Absolutes" find little sanctuary within our constitutional system of limited and shared powers.
7:32 PM · Apr 13, 2020
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 08:49:36 am by absolute Side-power hatch ılıl|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|lılı »
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1937 on: April 14, 2020, 01:21:13 pm »
Rep. Justin Amash says he’s looking ‘closely’ at White House run w/ the libertarian party...kinda good news as someone old school republicans would feel good about voting for. 

that would be a piece of news that would brighten my week.  nay, month.  just need Amash to siphon off a few votes in PA, a few in AZ, maybe a sprinkling in WI and MI too...
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #1938 on: April 14, 2020, 01:30:00 pm »
Rep. Justin Amash says he’s looking ‘closely’ at White House run w/ the libertarian party...kinda good news as someone old school republicans would feel good about voting for. 

that would be a piece of news that would brighten my week.  nay, month.  just need Amash to siphon off a few votes in PA, a few in AZ, maybe a sprinkling in WI and MI too...

Would he actually siphon off Trump votes more than he would siphon off Never Trumpers who would have been fine voting for Biden?

« Reply #1939 on: April 14, 2020, 03:03:54 pm »
Would he actually siphon off Trump votes more than he would siphon off Never Trumpers who would have been fine voting for Biden?
I agree, but I do think some of those NT would be happy to vote not for a democrat and ensure a trump loss
slack

« Reply #1940 on: April 14, 2020, 03:52:39 pm »
not that this is at all surprising....Obama's endorsement of Joe Biden
slack

« Reply #1941 on: April 14, 2020, 06:17:00 pm »
slack

« Reply #1942 on: April 15, 2020, 03:36:36 pm »
not all bad news out of MI today

Wendy Weiser@WendyRWeiser
BREAKING: Federal appeals court upholds Michigan's independent redistricting commission--passed overwhelmingly by MI voters in 2018--against a constitutional attack
slack

« Reply #1943 on: April 16, 2020, 03:22:41 pm »
Just heard TX is allowing no-excuses absentee voting in 2020 (of course the TX GOP is appealing that ruling)

I was happy to learn this today
The six most important swing states for the Electoral College map — Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, Arizona, Florida, and North Carolina — all allow voters to request mail-in or absentee ballots for any reason

VA I guess is considered blue and no longer a battleground state...but we have no-excuse here now too

Voters still have to request them, unlike Colorado, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington and Utah

I think this year there is going to be a big push to get people to request their absentee ballot (as well as registering to vote)
I know I'm going to try to help in this effort

I do think VBM does advantage the dems...but honestly, I think it's the fair way to make sure everyone votes
Study finds universal vote-by-mail doesn't provide advantage to either GOP or Democrats
slack

« Reply #1944 on: April 16, 2020, 03:53:14 pm »
SCOTS docket

@CSPAN
 announced that it will broadcast Supreme Court arguments in May.

So on May 12, Trump's attempt to block House subpoenas to Deutsche Bank and his accounting firm Mazars, as well as a Manhattan DA probe, will be televised.
slack

« Reply #1945 on: April 19, 2020, 07:11:22 pm »
https://twitter.com/NightlyPolitics/status/1252010158122651648
“Once it was reluctantly aroused. It was hard to get it aroused. And it is hard to get it aroused. But we got it aroused."
slack

WALKonBack

« Reply #1946 on: April 19, 2020, 09:07:22 pm »
has this been dis,cussed already, and I'm just too lazy to look for it?

https://www.salon.com/2020/03/28/joes-other-woman-could-michelle-obama-be-persuaded-to-be-bidens-vp_partner/

I'm not sure, how I feel about that, but I know every republican:s head would blow the fuck off if it happened.

Yada

« Reply #1947 on: April 20, 2020, 11:57:16 am »

« Reply #1948 on: April 20, 2020, 12:04:09 pm »
And dragging dc own DJ kool with that crap

These tactics are not to get black votes
It is to make those non-racist trump supporters feel ok with being associated with a bunch of racists since “they are racist too”
slack

« Reply #1949 on: April 20, 2020, 04:52:38 pm »
Trump thought he was the DealMaker when he used our money to buy oil at $30 a Barrel to fill the oil reserves
going for $1 a barrel now (a misleading number I agree)

Oil Prices Hit $1 Following A 90% Crash

in February everything was going just perfect for a 2nd term
things change quick

Although I don't put some insane October surprise by his crew of crazies
slack