Author Topic: The 2020 thread....  (Read 444199 times)

gavroche

Re: The 2020 thread....
« Reply #795 on: July 11, 2019, 11:04:08 am »
I hear what you are saying but I see nothing wrong with asking. That is the point of a census.

Another terrible hill to die on by democrats.
So we now have documents that the whole idea the R's pushed this forward as they could see it would give them a clear advantage and hurt Dems
Mr. Hofeller ... wrote a study in 2015 concluding that adding a citizenship question to the census would allow Republicans to draft even more extreme gerrymandered maps to stymie Democrats

it's just like gerrymandering and the Electoral college, they are figuring out ways to keep leaning it to give them a minority majority
so there is some ethical point I get you are trying to make, but they don't care about ethics, they just want to make it so they can create an unfair advantage to one political party by pulling all these stunts

It's not even an ethical point, it's really a messaging point.

We have always counted non-citizens in the Census.  Way back since the framers intended write it, when we included Slaves, women and non-land owners.  So if we really believe in originalism, then the census is about taking stock of who is in the country, not who is a citizen!  (And for the record, we don't send the census to US citizens outside the country to figure out where they are living).

I get the concerns with the messaging around it.  The R's have generally killed the D's with messaging.  And even the fact that we are all using the word illegal immigrant shows that. That said, I don't think this is an issue that hurts the Dems because this isn't a voting issue for their base, or independents.  So I think they need to fight it hard (though I suspect they will lose in the rigged courts).

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #796 on: July 11, 2019, 11:15:33 am »
I'm starting to think that maybe hutch hasn't thought critically about any of the things he's posting here...
Does anyone know the best way to get green smoothie and spittle out of a keyboard? I should probably just replace the keyboard, right?
LVMH

« Reply #797 on: July 11, 2019, 11:16:06 am »
I get the concerns with the messaging around it.  The R's have generally killed the D's with messaging.  And even the fact that we are all using the word illegal immigrant shows that. That said, I don't think this is an issue that hurts the Dems because this isn't a voting issue for their base, or independents.  So I think they need to fight it hard (though I suspect they will lose in the rigged courts).

The R's have generally killed the D's with messaging.
generally is being kind...95% of the time they win the messaging war.
I like that Dem's in general think for themselves...which is why we suck on messaging
But I do think that the political leaders really need to work on this as it's critical in these elections and we're typically losing on marketing, not actual policy

oh and Trump expected to announce executive action on census
slack

hutch

« Reply #798 on: July 11, 2019, 11:24:10 am »
Shouldn’t the point be to do things to win 2020 so that we can ensure the census results aren’t used negatively?

Or should we just battle to the death on this, ultimately lose as he includes question anyways and then we lose 2020 and he can use census to further decrease chances of democrats winning?

Is that our strategy cause it sure seems to be

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #799 on: July 11, 2019, 11:40:14 am »
I'm starting to think that maybe hutch hasn't thought critically about any of the things he's posting here...
Does anyone know the best way to get green smoothie and spittle out of a keyboard? I should probably just replace the keyboard, right?

The only winning move is to not drink green smoothies.

vansmack

« Reply #800 on: July 11, 2019, 12:04:25 pm »

We haven't told you about the Ignore User feature.  It's new since you've returned.

Mouse over "Profile" above.  Click any one of the options.

Then Mouse over "Modify Profile" and select "Buddies/Ignore List"

Add any users to your ignore list and their posts will be covered like this:

"You are ignoring this user." with the option to "Show me the post."

Now if people would stop fucking quoting people I've blocked, I wouldn't have to see their nonsense.
27>34

hutch

« Reply #801 on: July 11, 2019, 12:07:26 pm »
Gee feeling the ❤️ here!

Thanks guys

« Reply #802 on: July 11, 2019, 12:09:44 pm »

Now if people would stop fucking quoting people I've blocked, I wouldn't have to see their nonsense.
so you must be reading about 6 posts a month as there are about 4 people posting here

an obviously we're going to have to make sure Seth's name is brought up in this Social Media summit as an enabler of censorship of views not liked
slack

hutch

« Reply #803 on: July 11, 2019, 12:10:44 pm »
I guess if that’s the way you all feel I don’t have to post

nkotb

« Reply #804 on: July 11, 2019, 12:46:14 pm »
My solemn vow is that I will never Ignore any Users. That's elitist BS and I won't be a part of it. I love you dummies all equally

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #805 on: July 11, 2019, 12:56:13 pm »
My solemn vow is that I will never Ignore any Users.
(sing-song voice) You! Are! miss-ing out!
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #806 on: July 11, 2019, 01:05:29 pm »

Why would people want to miss out on posts by anybody? This forum has become boring enough without adding to the boredom by ignoring posts.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #807 on: July 11, 2019, 01:49:30 pm »

Why would people want to miss out on posts by anybody? This forum has become boring enough without adding to the boredom by ignoring posts.

ditto, brah.

« Reply #808 on: July 11, 2019, 04:08:51 pm »
You might as well just set an Andrew Jackson on fire.

Mitch is going to be re-elected in a walk
Nate Silver @NateSilver538 2:21 PM · Jul 9, 2019
I think McGrath has a shot.

Nate Silver @NateSilver538  Jul 9 2:55 PM
It's gonna be one of those races where the polling could show a close race, but the fundamentals strongly favor McConnell and McConnell probably wins. But if you're not providing for, say, a 15-20% chance of McGrath winning, your mental and/or statistical model is overconfident.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 04:11:17 pm by Ploonet-Hatch ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #809 on: July 11, 2019, 04:14:52 pm »
i swear i wrote a reply to hutch's census comments & queries, but looks like i either didn't hit "submit" - or that our censorship=happy overlord Seth is suppressing my right of free expression.  oh well.

my point was: the census isn't meant to count citizens, it's meant to count residents.  the argument is that anything that suppresses the reporting of residents is undermining the purpose of the census.

hutch, you mentioned something about "what a hill for the dems to die on" - this is a battle that is important to several dem constituencies.  the party would have taken this up even if it didn't threaten their access to power.

"trump will ride this to the white house in 2020" - nope.  this issue will disappear in the background well before november'20.  its importance is long-term: distribution of congressional representation (AKA balance of power), allocation of federal grants, etc.  the citizenship question makes for a good talking point now, and trump will trot it out every now and then as part of his usual woe-is-me litany of deep-state complaints, but this isn't going to move the needle.

I guess if that’s the way you all feel I don’t have to post

nah.  the reason folks jumped all over you because you were making very strong statements about a topic you didn't seem to know much (or at least enough) about. 

then there's jules, but that's jules... and you two have history.
<sig>