Author Topic: The 2020 thread....  (Read 456250 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: The 2020 thread....
« Reply #2145 on: June 18, 2020, 12:25:55 pm »
But word is that a bunch of k-pop fans were trolling a certain person's campaign and requested that large number of rally tickets that keeps getting touted.

If this is true kudos given..

i'm not sure this was such a great thing.  it gives trump a talking/shouting point that he can spin ("ONE MILLION WANT TO COME TO MY RALLY!").  the arena will be full regardless.  i'd be down with this plan if it resulted in trump walking out to a mostly empty arena - "hey, where is everybody?" - but there are enough trumpers hanging around outside the venue that they can flood it with stand-ins pretty quickly.

fair point, but it still amuses me.. plus, it means all the "data" they are getting is worthless.
T.Rex

« Reply #2146 on: June 18, 2020, 12:27:19 pm »
Got my eyes on this...maybe for sadistic reasons as Mitch is likely to win
but other than Trump losing, I so want Mitch to suffer defeat

Update...Mitch is DEFINITELY going to win
KENTUCKY
Trump 57% (+20)
Biden 37%
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 12:36:03 pm by Exceedingly Hatchious ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|lıl »
slack

hutch

« Reply #2147 on: June 18, 2020, 12:28:49 pm »
And citizens utd?

What’s your argument?

Hillary outspent Trump

I was talking more about the system that led to Trump rather than the specifics of the 2016 election. 

Citizen's United has had a massive influence on everything, and fundamentally altered the balance of the system.

Yawn

gavroche

« Reply #2148 on: June 18, 2020, 12:35:05 pm »
And citizens utd?

What’s your argument?

Hillary outspent Trump

I was talking more about the system that led to Trump rather than the specifics of the 2016 election. 

Citizen's United has had a massive influence on everything, and fundamentally altered the balance of the system.

Yawn

I agree it's not sexy, which is why it never got folks in the street.  We'll have to agree to disagree on it's importance.

hutch

« Reply #2149 on: June 18, 2020, 12:39:16 pm »
I didn’t say it’s not important but what are you arguing? We would be better off with another Alito? John Roberts has sided with liberals on some big decisions that have impacted millions positively from health care to DACA to huge acronym rights

Just recognize it and don’t be so immature: “Oh it’s not exactly what I want on every ruling so he sucks!”
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 12:41:05 pm by hutch »

hutch

« Reply #2150 on: June 18, 2020, 12:44:13 pm »
And whether you like him or not Roberts (and RBG hanging on) are probably the only thing standing between us and a full fledged totalitarian fascist state.

So spare me the whining about how you don’t like this Roberts vote or that..we all wish he was more liberal but he was appointed by a Republican president..have you seen the other conservative justices????

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2151 on: June 18, 2020, 01:04:38 pm »
Got my eyes on this...maybe for sadistic reasons as Mitch is likely to win
but other than Trump losing, I so want Mitch to suffer defeat

Update...Mitch is DEFINITELY going to win
KENTUCKY
Trump 57% (+20)
Biden 37%
Correct. This is a non-starter. The DNC should waste not one cent on Kentucky Senate.
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2152 on: June 18, 2020, 01:26:46 pm »
But word is that a bunch of k-pop fans were trolling a certain person's campaign and requested that large number of rally tickets that keeps getting touted.

i'm not sure this was such a great thing.  it gives trump a talking/shouting point that he can spin ("ONE MILLION WANT TO COME TO MY RALLY!").  the arena will be full regardless.  i'd be down with this plan if it resulted in trump walking out to a mostly empty arena - "hey, where is everybody?" - but there are enough trumpers hanging around outside the venue that they can flood it with stand-ins pretty quickly.

fair point, but it still amuses me.. plus, it means all the "data" they are getting is worthless.

you're assuming they care about the validity or worth of data... trump is happy to tout unfounded, out-of-context results that align with his objectives.  he doesn't care where the numbers came from.
<sig>

« Reply #2153 on: June 18, 2020, 01:28:10 pm »
slack

« Reply #2154 on: June 18, 2020, 01:32:57 pm »
he was appointed by a Republican president..have you seen the other conservative justices????
Donald J. Trump@realDonaldTrump
I will be releasing a new list of Conservative Supreme Court Justice nominees, which may include some, or many of those already on the list, by September 1, 2020. If given the opportunity, I will only choose from this list, as in the past, a Conservative Supreme Court Justice...Based on decisions being rendered now, this list is more important than ever before (Second Amendment, Right to Life, Religous Liberty, etc.) – VOTE 2020!

Hmm...this tactic seemed to work with his base
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2155 on: June 18, 2020, 01:33:36 pm »

you're assuming they care about the validity or worth of data... trump is happy to tout unfounded, out-of-context results that align with his objectives.  he doesn't care where the numbers came from.

he doesn't give a shit about anything but himself, it was one of his campaign morons that was all giddy about the numbers.
T.Rex

gavroche

« Reply #2156 on: June 18, 2020, 01:57:02 pm »
I didn’t say it’s not important but what are you arguing? We would be better off with another Alito? John Roberts has sided with liberals on some big decisions that have impacted millions positively from health care to DACA to huge acronym rights

Just recognize it and don’t be so immature: “Oh it’s not exactly what I want on every ruling so he sucks!”

No argument from me that Roberts is the new center of the Court.  But that center is to the right of where it was when Kennedy was on the Court, let alone Rehnquist.  The Republican party wasn't as crazy during Bush's term as it is now and I disagree that the only choices were Alito 2.0 or Roberts.  Plus, Bush was President so he could make any choice he wanted to.  Why would I applaud him for Roberts, who has been generally terrible. 

More importantly though, Roberts has ruled with the liberals on some relatively unimportant cases and on the big system stuff he consistently sides with the Conservatives.  And his opinions suggest he's willing to take some major steps like unwinding the non-delegation doctrine.  DACA is important, but he ruled on a technicality of administrative procedure, not on anything durable.  Same thing with the Census. I don't take a lot of heart in that or have faith in Robert's willingness to stand up to the fascist state. 

« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 02:00:35 pm by gavroche »

hutch

« Reply #2157 on: June 18, 2020, 02:02:16 pm »
Righto Obamacare wasn’t important

There is no saving you Gavroche!

You are more pessimistic and negative than me...which is saying something

« Reply #2158 on: June 18, 2020, 02:22:59 pm »
damn...Facebook is taking down A trump ad today!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 02:28:44 pm by Exceedingly Hatchious ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|lıl »
slack

gavroche

« Reply #2159 on: June 18, 2020, 02:49:10 pm »
Righto Obamacare wasn’t important

There is no saving you Gavroche!

You are more pessimistic and negative than me...which is saying something

Obamacare impacts a lot of people, just like DACA does. I would never minimize the direct impact that it has on millions of people's lives.  Still, the decisions that I think are truly lasting are they ones that define the rules of the political field.  (And as an aside I don't feel all that safe that the Court will maintain Obamacare this second time around). Cases like Rucho that have a direct effect on transitions of power rather than individual policy issues or proposals. The Census decision (where Roberts split from the right) was way more impactful to me than Obamacare is.  And if Roberts rules that Congress has subpoena power I'd also see that as an important split.