Author Topic: COVID-19 2020  (Read 386465 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: COVID-19 2020
« Reply #1320 on: June 15, 2020, 02:45:36 pm »
There's so much hedgey language in the abstract, the rest of the study is barely worth reading.  The short answer is that the study is pointing to some interesting preliminary findings, but there's nothing solid there that suggests any conclusion.

Which is fair. That's how science works. We notice something. We study it. It either does what we thought or it doesn't.  We're still in the "noticing something" phase.

That's not stopping people from selling you pre-biotics, though, or you buying them.

Although the latter approach is still in its infancy, some important insights have already been gained about how the microbiota might influence a number of disease processes both within and distant from the gut. These discoveries also lay the groundwork for the development of therapeutic strategies that might modify the microbiota (eg, through the use of probiot-ics). Although this area holds much promise, more high-quality trials...are needed, as well as laboratory investigations of their mechanisms of action.

« Reply #1321 on: June 15, 2020, 02:48:43 pm »
TLDR...the science community (not just the natural heath people) is taking a very hard look at gut health and disease
yes no conclusions yet, but things are pointing in that direction

BTW...I don't buy pro-biotics, I try to eat fermented vegetables (that aren't pasteurized) to maintain my gut health.  Wish I could make my homemade ones taste as good as the pros
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 02:52:27 pm by GymJ vs Hellboy ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|lıl »
slack

« Reply #1322 on: June 15, 2020, 02:58:35 pm »
this was a poignant tweet
Paul Krugman@paulkrugman
Not really surprised. But it is ominous. Mask-wearing has become part of a culture war that will probably end up killing more Americans than most of our real wars.
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #1323 on: June 15, 2020, 03:40:25 pm »
BTW...I don't buy pro-biotics, I try to eat fermented vegetables.

Its the same faulty assumption.

« Reply #1324 on: June 15, 2020, 04:45:24 pm »
BTW...I don't buy pro-biotics, I try to eat fermented vegetables.

Its the same faulty assumption.
Man, the NIH is really against this..

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6567126/   2019
Health-Promoting Components in Fermented Foods: An Up-to-Date Systematic Review

At the moment, reference to fermented foods as being health-promoting is common. They contain health-promoting components, can be used as a probiotic carrier, can contribute to the diversity of gut microbiome, and indirectly impact on mental health and other disorders. The early introduction of fermented foods in the diet has been supposed to lessen children desire to over-consume sweet foods [126]. Sugar preference may be tied, in fact, to the bacteria in the gut and children get their gut microbioma from the early stage of their life.

Nonetheless there is a lack of solid scientific foundations of such claims and there is still a need for fundamental research on randomized, controlled, clinical trials to measure the quantitative repeatable effects of fermented foods in the different groups of the populations to eventually justify their inclusion on national food guidelines.

4. Conclusions

During food fermentation, a number of chemical changes occur in the components of the raw matrix, which thus results in products with improved nutritional properties and healthy effects. A higher bioactive molecule content and an improved antioxidant activity were found in fermented milks, cereals, fruit and vegetables, meat and fish.

Fermented foods can also influence human well-being. The intake of fermented foods and probiotics and the subsequent enhancement of the gut microbiome may have a modulatory effect on the brain and the central nervous system.

The occurrence of healthy components and the activity thereof make fermented foods worthy of recommendation of regular consumption and inclusion in worldwide dietary guidelines. There is however a need for research on clinical trials to measure the effects of fermented foods in the different groups of the population..

But they are seeing a lot of evidence and need to do more studies...so I'd say things are looking good in early studies for my case

My only ask is the raw materials and processes matter
if they are getting their fermented stuff from a mass-produced corporation, I am a little suspect
I just am, they are only concerned with profit, not actual nutrition

What is also missing is the unintended consumption of MASSIVE amounts of anti-biotics from factory-farmed animals that the majority of Americans are eating on the daily
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 04:47:58 pm by heretofore-hatch ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|lıl »
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #1325 on: June 15, 2020, 05:40:43 pm »
What is also missing is the unintended consumption of MASSIVE amounts of anti-biotics from factory-farmed animals that the majority of Americans are eating on the daily

I'm not aware of any consequences to humans based on this. You'd think we'd all be growing horns or something.

« Reply #1326 on: June 15, 2020, 05:51:47 pm »

I'm not aware of any consequences to humans based on this. You'd think we'd all be growing horns or something.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3194830/

There is no doubt that human misuse and overuse of antibiotics are large contributors to resistance, particularly in relation to bacteria associated with human infection

Not horns, but definitely impacting our guts, making us sicker and less resilient to fight off infection

slack

« Reply #1327 on: June 15, 2020, 05:55:19 pm »
this is good news (for the DMV)...right?

the death numbers have been better, lately. 7-day average now at ~700, down from ~2,000 at the peak.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 05:58:43 pm by heretofore-hatch ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|lıl »
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #1328 on: June 15, 2020, 06:27:38 pm »

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3194830/

There is no doubt that human misuse and overuse of antibiotics are large contributors to resistance, particularly in relation to bacteria associated with human infection

Not horns, but definitely impacting our guts, making us sicker and less resilient to fight off infection

I mean, is there a pandemic of bacterial infections?

« Reply #1329 on: June 16, 2020, 12:58:17 pm »
I mean, is there a pandemic of bacterial infections?
I'm not good at stats or a Dr, but sounds like it to me
According to the report, more than 2.8 million antibiotic-resistant infections occur in the U.S. each year, and more than 35,000 people die as a result.

https://www.cdc.gov/drugresistance/biggest-threats.html

although, really can't trust the CDC either...fake science
and 35k deaths isn't really a pandemic, so probably not a worthy thing to be concerned about

...your serve
slack

hutch

« Reply #1330 on: June 16, 2020, 01:09:36 pm »
Getting some 🍿

« Reply #1331 on: June 16, 2020, 01:49:01 pm »
Getting some 🍿
Man was getting ready to tell you how you were going to die from eating microwave popcorn....but sadly according to the FDA
the chemicals that were once in microwave popcorn and its packaging have been linked to cancer and lung disease. But these ingredients have since been removed from most commercial brands.

so that argument would have work in 2007

although...you should still use an air popper or cook on the stove with olive oil/coconut oil
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #1332 on: June 16, 2020, 02:14:33 pm »
Guys, what if I eat kimchi but just because it’s tasty and not for implied health reasons?
LVMH

« Reply #1333 on: June 16, 2020, 02:16:30 pm »
Guys, what if I eat kimchi but just because it’s tasty and not for implied health reasons?
yikes and I  love me some spicy kimchi!

The researchers, all South Korean, report that kimchi and other spicy and fermented foods could be linked to the most common cancer among Koreans. Rates of gastric cancer among Koreans and Japanese are 10 times higher than in the United States.

also as we all know...if you look it up on the internet...it will kill you :)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 02:19:09 pm by heretofore-hatch ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|lıl »
slack

hutch

« Reply #1334 on: June 16, 2020, 04:30:27 pm »
Sucks about India

Over 2000 dead today...