Author Topic: The "Do we need a Russia/Ukraine/WWIII thread" thread  (Read 37652 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: The "Do we need a Russia/Ukraine/WWIII thread" thread
« Reply #120 on: May 19, 2022, 04:48:19 pm »

Following a personal invitation from Ukraine president Volodymyr Zelensky, U2’s Bono and the Edge visited Kyiv Sunday to perform an acoustic concert in one of the city’s subway stations-turned-bomb shelters

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/u2-bono-the-edge-acoustic-set-kyiv-bomb-shelter-1350428/
These folks have suffered enough. Jesus.
saw this and was like...I've seen this before

Stop stalking me on FB.
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #121 on: July 05, 2022, 03:17:53 pm »
The U.S.–Ukraine Foundation and World Unite for Ukraine invite you to a live stream benefit concert on July 14 featuring an exciting lineup of international artists including Pink Floyd, Al Di Meola, Eurovision winner Ruslana, and many others.

WHEN: July 14 at 8pm EDT/2am CET
WHERE: Live Stream on Mandolin (Replay available for 7 days after)

EVENT INFO: https://www.worlduniteforukraine.com/

"World Unite for Ukraine", a global grassroots movement uniting millions of people around the world in support of the people of Ukraine, will present a virtual 90+ minute fundraising concert on July 14, 2022.

The event will include performances by Pink Floyd, the Pat McGee Band, Al Di Meola, Eurovision 2004 winner Ruslana, and other international groups (a complete list of performers can be found here). The event will also showcase powerful stories from Ukraine that highlight the country's history and culture, as well as the devastating impact the war has had on Ukraine and its people.

With a $10 million goal, all proceeds will be deployed to vetted humanitarian initiatives through the U.S.-Ukraine Foundation.

The event will be live streamed to over 25 countries via Mandolin beginning at 8pm EDT/2am CET. On demand replay will also be available for 7 days after. Viewers can secure a ticket by selecting from several donation tiers on the Mandolin event page or receive an access code by giving to the active GoFundMe campaign.
<sig>

« Reply #122 on: July 05, 2022, 03:35:33 pm »
how does one of the most meh bands to come out of Richmond/DC scene The Pat McGee Band get second billing on this line up!?

Edit- looked at the list of artists and it's PF, ADM and Pat are the only names I even reconize

but still are they 'big in Ukraine' or something?
I don't even think they could fill Jammin Java
slack

« Reply #123 on: July 05, 2022, 05:40:39 pm »
welp, the Russians have left snake island
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ukraine-flag-raised-again-snake-island-military-says-2022-07-04/

not a major victory and they are not even willing to send someone there to raise the flag (weird how they keep saying they raised the flag and showing old pics)

but I'll take it as a ding in putins soul
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #124 on: July 05, 2022, 07:40:02 pm »
not a major victory and they are not even willing to send someone there to raise the flag (weird how they keep saying they raised the flag and showing old pics)

ukrainians don't want the same thing to happen to them that happened to the russians: there is no cover on that island.  you're sitting out in the open with big crosshairs on you.  the second the first ukie soldier shows up, the orcs will send in the missiles. 

but I'll take it as a ding in putins soul

i wish this was the case, but i suspect it's little more than a minor annoyance.  the ruskies are probably most pissed about the equipment losses they suffered there.
<sig>

« Reply #125 on: August 08, 2022, 10:15:00 am »
Ok lots of disinfo out there...but this is some scary shit

Stratcom Centre UA@StratcomCentre
Russian troops have wired energy units of Zaporizhia nuclear power plant with explosives. Major General Vasilyev, commander of the garrison stationed at the plant, announced readiness to blow up the plant, leading to a nuclear catastrophe.
"This will either be Russian land, or scorched earth," he said. He also told his soldiers that no matter how difficult orders they could receive, they had to execute them "with honour," calling them "liberators."
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #126 on: August 08, 2022, 04:17:13 pm »
more war crimes, nothing new.

and yeah, when told to advance russian soldiers have to do so no matter what - otherwise they have a line of chechens behind them who will shoot anyone who retreats.  powerful war machine indeed.  mind you, those on the front lines are largely forced conscripts from the donbas and other conquered regions.

HIMARS has gone a long way in leveling the playing field.  ruskies are desperate for manpower.  north korea has offered to send 100,000 "volunteer" soldiers to help russia.  more cannon fodder for the muscovites, just in time to replace all the forced conscripts from the donbas which they are running out of to absorb bullets and shells on the front lines.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #127 on: August 12, 2022, 08:36:09 pm »
an air base in Crimea was attacked on tuesday, and i don't feel it's getting the coverage/attention it deserves.  credible estimates of damages range between 8 and 24 aircraft destroyed, and 2 to 4 ammo depots turned into fireworks.  i've also seen estimates that 50-60 soldiers were KIA, mostly pilots (huge loss) and over 100 injured.  it's the most planes that russia has lost in a single day since WWII.  as they usually do, the russians deny it was an attack and instead claim it was an accident caused by negligence, possibly by a carelessly disposed cigarette... m'yeah.

the ukrainians are being coyly deflective when asked if they did it.  no official word on how they carried out the attack, but a few theories:
#1- they used ATACMS, the 300 km missile that can be launched from HIMARS/M270/etc.  officially the US has not given these missiles to the ukes, but that doesn't mean that haven't done so secretly.  US DOD recently admitted that they gave ukrainians AGM-88 anti-radar missiles without disclosing it to the public.
#2- the ukes used a home-grown missile system, as a ukrainian official implied. they had several medium-range ballistic missile systems in development, in test, or had recently been exported.  the neptune anti-ship cruise missiles could have been reprogrammed for such a mission.
BIG PROBLEM with theories #1 and #2: satellite images of the destruction are not consistent with a missile attack.  witnesses describe 10 to 12 separate large explosions, but you can only see 5-6 craters and several of them can be explained by the missing ammo dump that used to be there.  there are no stray craters, implying an unrealistic perfect 100% hit rate.  which leads to the most likely explanation, IMO:
#3- specials ops, possibly with the help of sympathizers/partisans.  the attack seemed to have been very localized: the only big explosions where at ammo dumps and a few planes, likely loaded with fuel and/or munitions.  seems compatible with specops getting in there and planting multiple timed explosives.  this guy provides a good breakdown of the satellite imagery and one version of the "black ops did it" narrative (skip to 4:07 if you don't want background info on the attack).

so how BIG was this attack? it's on par with the sinking of the moskva, the flagship of the black sea fleet, back in april. why?
- strategic: ruskies have started pulling back assets from crimea, relocating them deeper into russia.  this move to safety will reduce how often those planes can attack ukraine, will limit their responsiveness, etc.
- psychological: russians assumed that they were safe in crimea and could use it as they pleased to launch attacks.  nope.  must be humiliating for glorious red army.
- potential anti-propaganda value, maybe... following the attacks, russian tourists high-tailed it outta crimea, a popular beach destination.  the traffic jam to get across the kerch strait bridge was backed up for dozens of miles, 24 hours after the attack it was still crawling.  all these tourists will return to moscow with news that doesn't match the kremlin's official stories.
- general embarrassment: big powerful war machine couldn't prevent an attack 200 km away from the front lines?  if it was indeed SpecOps, did they just walk in, mine the place and walk out?  how did they manage to plant so many bombs in a secure military facility?  (the explosions occurred during daylight hours, fyi.)

TL;DR: ukrainians kicked the muscovites' asses deep behind their own lines, blew up an air base, and now the ruskies need to rethink their assumption of safety and usefulness of crimea.  it's a huge deal.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 08:39:06 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #129 on: September 12, 2022, 03:50:11 pm »
serious question: y'all aware of recent developments in ukraine, especially on the eastern front/Kharkiv?

i'm obviously obsessed with the war and follow it daily, so i've lost track of what's in the mainstream's awareness.  as one might expect, the war isn't getting as much coverage after 200 days as it was in the first weeks - but how far back has it faded?
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #130 on: September 12, 2022, 04:20:47 pm »
what URK is accomplishing at the moment is unprecedented: an entire oblast (province) cleared in 5 days and now working on Luhansk oblast.  russians are running for their lives, abandoning 100+ pieces of heavy armor (so far) and all sorts of other goodies like advanced radar and electronic warfare systems.  many ammo depots as well (russia has officially become ukraine's #1 weapons provider).  by the time this is over they will likely need to deal with over 10,000 POWs.  twitter has claims that settlements lost in 2014 are being liberated.

brilliant how the ukes got russia all worked up over their announced southern offensive (kherson), ruskies committed a ton of troops to its defense (est. 25k total), and they promptly got trapped on the west bank of the dnipro thanks to HIMARS taking out all the bridges.  this left the eastern front badly under-guarded so the blitzkrieg was on.  in the south, meanwhile, UKR can methodically grind it out knowing that the muscovites around kherson cannot be resupplied.  rumors of RF in negotiations to surrender, or for safe passage of soldiers only (all weapons and armor left behind), but nothing confirmed yet.

my fav tidbit about the lightening campaign in Kharkiv is how it was led by mostly SOF in fast vehicles.   when coming up to a town or known russian post they did one of two things:
- if the russians put up resistance, the tip of the spear simply went around the russians and continued down the road.  this confused the russians - why didn't they fight?  as they watched the lightening team disappear down the road, they'd turn around to find themselves encircled by the second wave of heavy armor and artillery.  badly outgunned, the muscovites could only surrender, flee, or die.
- if the russians didn't put up any resistance, the ukes would disarm whoever they could capture (many fled after putting on civilian clothes), zip-tie them and leave them by the side of the road for the second wave to deal with.

the ukrainians impose a media blackout during operations, so this isn't confirmed, but there may be a third front developing in the middle of the land bridge between donbas and crimea.  it may be headed to mariupol, severing the land bridge in half.

hopefully UKR has the resources and logistics to hold on to the gains.  they've got it right so far, let's hope they keep it.  hard not to be overly optimistic and say shit like the "end is in sight"...  must... not... saaaaaaaay it...
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #131 on: September 12, 2022, 04:33:59 pm »
psyops continue unabated:

Leaked plan of Kherson offensive:

« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 04:38:26 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

« Reply #132 on: September 12, 2022, 04:54:03 pm »
Friend of mine is staying at a Glover park hotel directly across from the Russian Embassy on Wisconsin
and they have a giant Ukraine flag that is about 10 stories high
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #133 on: September 12, 2022, 06:29:52 pm »
^ love it!
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
<sig>