Author Topic: DC is NEXT!!!  (Read 18410 times)

Bags

Re: DC is NEXT!!!
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2004, 03:22:00 pm »
No, the burbanites *generally* are the ones you described first -- the ones you can pick out easily in the crowd, flooding places like New Vegas Lounge in their dockers and pink gummy purses from Nordstrom.  Well, suburbanites and G'town kids.  Going to Total Beverage is like falling into a tri-Delt social events meeting.

Originally posted by Bollocks:

Originally posted by mark e smith:

most of the shit on this board comes from the suburbanites, I guess it is an inferiority complex
Remind me again what's so cool about the female business suit wearing, polo shirt with collar up, beige pants and boat shoe'd, 1 lawyer for every 6 residents ratoi'd, we think Irelands 4 P's is an authentic Irish bar assuming...DC? [/b]
they all live in the 'burbs [/b]
So you mean the burbanites are the ones making DC 'cool'. [/QB][/QUOTE]

« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2004, 03:25:00 pm »
I don't wear them, but what about Dockers, boat shoes, gummy bear purses, etc. makes a person a lesser person?

It seems like having a condescending, mocking attitude toward people for what they wear makes a person a lesser person.

Bags

« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2004, 03:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by Got Balls?:
  But in real life, away from the board...

Wouldn't you say that more city dwellers talk down in regard to the suburbs and suburbanites than suburbanites talk down in regard to the city and city dwellers?

That's been my observation...

Nope, I've observed it's the suburbanites harping on "when are you going to move out here over the river?  Come on, it's like getting a 2% raise...."  I've heard that maybe 175 times, and I've never suggested to anyone out there to move into the city.  My lifestyle is still city centric, so it makes sense that I live near the things that I do....

Bags

« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2004, 03:33:00 pm »
  I don't wear them, but what about Dockers, boat shoes, gummy bear purses, etc. makes a person a lesser person?

It seems like having a condescending, mocking attitude toward people for what they wear makes a person a lesser person.
Mankie made the assertion that it's a clusterf*** of sameness.  If that's the picture he was drawing, I think it's more apropos in reverse.  If you don't think you'll see more people dressing the same (which was my point, not what they were actually wearing, but that it's more of a uniform -- all the same) in a Safeway in north Arlington than you would in a Safeway in DC (excepting G'town), then I can't argue with you because I just don't know where you been shoppin'.

You'll be in the burbs any minute and won't have to deal with small city folks, anyhow.

Celeste

« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2004, 03:36:00 pm »
   gummy bear purses
what are these and where can I get one?

« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2004, 03:40:00 pm »
I don't know, I go the the Safeway in Adams Morgan, and the people are predominately two types: young upwardly mobile white 22-35 year olds, and poor working class Hispanics (albeit with more age diversity than the white people).

When I've been scouting the suburbs, I've noticed more age diversity (There are actually white people over 40 in the DC area!). Also, if you look on the Post website at the stats for suburban schools in places like Rockville, Gaithersburg, Annandale, Springfield, Silver Spring...you'll find more ethnic diversity among the suburban population than in DC schools.

If you want sameness, hang your hat in northwest DC. It just seems like there is more diversity in the DC suburbs.

Originally posted by Bags:

Mankie made the assertion that it's a clusterf*** of sameness.  If that's the picture he was drawing, I think it's more apropos in reverse.  If you don't think you'll see more people dressing the same (which was my point, not what they were actually wearing, but that it's more of a uniform -- all the same) in a Safeway in north Arlington than you would in a Safeway in DC (excepting G'town), then I can't argue with you because I just don't know where you been shoppin'.

You'll be in the burbs any minute and won't have to deal with small city folks, anyhow. [/b]

Bags

« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2004, 03:42:00 pm »
Originally posted by Ball Girl:

gummy bear purses
what are these and where can I get one? [/b]
I guess they're called Jelly totes.  First showed up at Nordstrom's a few months back, now they're everywhere, including Target.

Link - image didn't work  
 $88
 Nordstrom Cinched Jelly Tote

Italian chic in sherbet shades. Fashioned with a near-translucent look--all the better to show off sweet 'cinching' at the snap top.

nkotb

« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2004, 03:43:00 pm »
I only just started reading this thread, so I apologize if this is back-tracking or whatever, but I have two comments:

1) Where the hell is keithstg hanging out in NYC?  Every time I've been out up there, the bars have been doing the same level of business as I've ever seen up there.

2) Rhett's follow-up has to be the biggest laugh-out-loud moment I've had on this board in a long time.  

Originally posted by nkotballs:
  Yes, last time I was in NYC, I couldn't find a single bar to go to. They had all shut down, because people had completely stopped going to them. I ended up having to hang out for three nights at a Chuck E. Cheese.

Originally posted by keithstg:

Originally posted by cale:
  Does anyone know what someone can do to support a smoking ban in DC?  Who do I have to email, who can I give money to, what do I have to sign, etc?
Give the money to your favorite local bar. If NYC is any indication, after a smoking ban goes into effect they will need it. [/b]
[/b]

Celeste

« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2004, 03:43:00 pm »
:confused:  

oh, I thought they were edible (the gummy bear bags)...forget it...
 Mr. Balls, how do you know about such cutting edge fasions?

« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2004, 03:48:00 pm »
As if Doc Martens are oh-so-original fashion in the year 2004. Talk about a conformist uniform item. Actually more like an conformist uniform item circa 1994.

Haha.

gummy bear purses
I guess they're called Jelly totes.  First showed up at Nordstrom's a few months back, now they're everywhere, including Target.

Link - image didn't work  
 $88

Italian chic in sherbet shades. Fashioned with a near-translucent look--all the better to show off sweet 'cinching' at the snap top. [/b]

Bags

« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2004, 03:50:00 pm »
No, it's about lasting 15 years or more.  And being comfy for shows.  Aren't you just kind of proving that I don't care much about the conformist uniform if it's no longer conformist?

You only go to one show a month, you put less wear on your dogs...

As if Doc Martens are oh-so-original fashion in the year 2004. Talk about a conformist uniform item. Actually more like an conformist uniform item circa 1994.

Haha.

gummy bear purses

Link - image didn't work  
 $88

Italian chic in sherbet shades. Fashioned with a near-translucent look--all the better to show off sweet 'cinching' at the snap top. [/b]
[/b]

mankie

« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2004, 03:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by pollard:

Remind me again what's so cool about the female business suit wearing, polo shirt with collar up, beige pants and boat shoe'd, 1 lawyer for every 6 residents ratoi'd, we think Irelands 4 P's is an authentic Irish bar assuming...DC?
thank you for making my point, that most of the people bringing up "dc is cool or not" issues on this board are the suburbanites, rarely do I see city dwellers on this board talk about how cool life in the city is unless somebody has talked bad about it first, and I for one hate the 4 P's, but we have been through that before [/b]
I disagree, it's you DC living elitist who always bring up how cool you all are living in DC, when the reality is that people who are from other cities find DC very starched and conservative....nice, but starched and conservative. Apart from one of the best concert venues in the country..what else does it have that you can call "COOL"?

sonickteam2

« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2004, 04:03:00 pm »
 what else does it have that you can call "COOL"?
the Capitals...hehehehehehe.

« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2004, 04:03:00 pm »
Yes, but I walk all over the city (as well as run 30+ miles a week). You drive. How much wear does it put on shoes to stand in place for a few hours?

What was the point?

I think there is sort of a conforming uniform that urbanites wear, and a separate conforming uniform that suburbanites wear.

If someone is over 25 and still strongly defining people or themselves by their fashion, they probably are living a pretty empty, shallow life anyway.

I've known people who wear dockers, Docs, boat shoes (though know gummy bear purses). Some were good folks, some jerks.

No, it's about lasting 15 years or more.  And being comfy for shows.  Aren't you just kind of proving that I don't care much about the conformist uniform if it's no longer conformist?

You only go to one show a month, you put less wear on your dogs...

Haha.

gummy bear purses

Link - image didn't work  
 $88

[/b]
[/b]

Celeste

« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2004, 04:04:00 pm »
  ou only go to one show a month, you put less wear on your dogs...
Careful...you're talking to a man who runs at least 25 miles a week on average...   :)

though I now see that he just sort of said that himself