Author Topic: DC is NEXT!!!  (Read 18413 times)

Celeste

Re: DC is NEXT!!!
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2004, 04:06:00 pm »
Isn't the city/suburb argument tired as hell?

markie

« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2004, 04:09:00 pm »
Originally posted by Got Balls?:
     If someone is over 25 and still strongly defining people or themselves by their fashion, they probably are living a pretty empty, shallow life anyway.

Tou shouldnt be so mean to Mankie.

markie

« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2004, 04:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by Ball Girl:
Yep, one person always brings it up though. Care to guess whom?  :roll:

Bags

« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2004, 04:11:00 pm »
  If someone is over 25 and still defining people by what they think they know about him/her from an internet bulletin board, they probably are living a pretty empty, shallow life anyway.
I agree with that completely.

I gotta admit, you have a knack for being the one person that just kind of runs this into a dead end, an internet version of namecalling.  Even Mankie's pretty virulent on this one, but is far less...I can't think of the perfect word.

« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2004, 04:15:00 pm »
I believe that would be Bags. She brought the suburban vs. urban question into the thread.

The thread was originally about a smoking ban, and she made the assertion that people from VA or MD (suburbanites) shouldn't have a say as to whether there should be a smoking ban in DC bars.

Originally posted by mark e smith:

Yep, one person always brings it up though. Care to guess whom?   :roll:  [/b]

Celeste

« Reply #95 on: March 25, 2004, 04:20:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
  As it is, DC residents have little say over what happens in their own city.
How so? (I seriously am curious)

I could see you saying they don't have a say in what goes on in their own *country* but how do they have less say than folks in any other city...and, whose fault would that be?

Bags

« Reply #96 on: March 25, 2004, 04:22:00 pm »
Yup, I brought up the residency issue in terms of the smoking ban.  Only.  I think it's a valid piece of the discussion.  From my comment, we could've kept talking about the smoking ban alone.

Balls moved it to the commuter tax, which moved it to quality of life, which moved it to VA/MD vs DC and then the who's cooler than whom discussion.

I never said, for instance, Montgomery county was worse for having it, or better, or different.  But when it comes to passing laws about the District, I think it should be a district issue.  I did not begin to draw comparisons or qualitative distinctions.

I believe that would be Bags. She brought the suburban vs. urban question into the thread.

The thread was originally about a smoking ban, and she made the assertion that people from VA or MD (suburbanites) shouldn't have a say as to whether there should be a smoking ban in DC bars.

Yep, one person always brings it up though. Care to guess whom?    :roll:   [/b]
[/b]

markie

« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2004, 04:25:00 pm »
Are there no cities in MD and Virginia?

Wasnt Bags point that that it should be decided by DC residents?

Someone else then capitalised on this weak opportunity to make a city vs suburban debate.

Bags

« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2004, 04:26:00 pm »
Even though our tax base is gathered from DC residents, our city's budget and numerous decisions that affect the budget must be passed by the federal congress.

Another example is the ban against the commuter tax -- we are the only jurisdiction which had the federal government step in and disallow us from even considering a policy/tax issue.

Very little self-determination.  The real solution really would be to slice off a hunk of DC that is strictly federal land, without residents, and let the rest either become a self-determining state, or part of MD or VA.

As it is, DC residents have little say over what happens in their own city.
How so? (I seriously am curious)

I could see you saying they don't have a say in what goes on in their own *country* but how do they have less say than folks in any other city...and, whose fault would that be? [/b]

« Reply #99 on: March 25, 2004, 04:26:00 pm »
I completely agree with you. It is an issue for DC voters to decide. And not MD or VA people. My point was that if there were a commuter tax, I think that should buy suburbanites a vote on the issue.

So the thread went in other directions. Don't they all?

Yup, I brought up the residency issue in terms of the smoking ban.  Only.  I think it's a valid piece of the discussion.  From my comment, we could've kept talking about the smoking ban alone.

Balls moved it to the commuter tax, which moved it to quality of life, which moved it to VA/MD vs DC and then the who's cooler than whom discussion.

I never said, for instance, Montgomery county was worse for having it, or better, or different.  But when it comes to passing laws about the District, I think it should be a district issue.  I did not begin to draw comparisons or qualitative distinctions.

Yep, one person always brings it up though. Care to guess whom?     :roll:    [/b]
[/b]
[/b]

ratioci nation

« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2004, 04:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bollocks:
  Apart from one of the best concert venues in the country..what else does it have that you can call "COOL"?
please tell how any of what you said applies to me, I don't ever talk about how DC is cool, I have said I love it before many times, not in comparison to anywhere else, but as the place where I live and like to live, but all that does is gets lots of comments about how bad it is

sonickteam2

« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2004, 04:31:00 pm »
What about people like me who live in the city but work out of the city?

was this already discussed?  this thread is making my head bleed

Bags

« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2004, 04:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:

I think that this just means you're an anomalous freak and no one knows what the hell to do with you....    :p

« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2004, 04:36:00 pm »
Be careful, or you're going to have to start paying commuter taxes to Howard County, or whereever it is you work.

I'm shocked they's even let a freak like you into the suburbs.   :D  

eltee

« Reply #104 on: March 25, 2004, 04:41:00 pm »

Go smoke a cig.   :D