Author Topic: Warehouse shows  (Read 51445 times)

snailhook

Re: Warehouse shows
« Reply #120 on: August 16, 2004, 08:27:00 pm »
A quadruple dose of psychedelia on Thursday night, of both the heavy stoner and the woodland folk variety...

Clavius Productions presents:

Plastic Crimewave Sound
 Josephine Foster & The Supposed
  Sharron Kraus
 Lionheart Mirth

Thursday, August 19
 Warehouse Next Door
 Doors at 8:30, show at 9pm
 $6

Plastic Crimewave Sound
 From Chicago, Eclipse Records
 Splits with Oneida and Michael Yonkers
 Heavy brain-frying space-punk fuzz rock a la Hawkwind, Chrome, Stooges, Comets on Fire, etc.

Plastic Crimewave Sound is something like the musical analogue to the Galactic Zoo Dossier fanzine, and their first single Grade Ceased, is about what you??d hope for from that connection. It is loud, crude psychedelic sludge, with heavily amped and effected guitars slicing through the swamps of midnight, with vocals buried in tanks of Japanese laughing gas, and rhythms sliding along like moist candy dropped from the lips of Alan Vega.
 -The Wire, 2003

A wonderful ball of scuzz that will drag you down the psychedelic path to self-destruction, smashing your face into a CAN the whole ride. Dirty dirges of sound swirling around my head, start to make me worry who may be watching me through the windows and I start to see little glass spiders running up and down my arms in a paranoid haze. Mr.Crimewave has done an excellent job with the record, and if you have ever had re-occurring nightmares from too much cough syrup, then this will be the tasty dish you??ve waited for your whole life.
 -Horizontal Action, 2003

Josephine Foster & The Supposed
 From Chicago, of Born Heller & Children's Hour
 Acid-laced folk-rock in the vein of early Fairport Convention, Byrds, and Jefferson Airplane

Press for Josephine's other bands:

Josephine Foster: (harp, mandolin, guitar); Jason Ajemian: (stand up bass). Born Heller are the earthen folk duo of Josephine Foster (Children's Hour) & Jason Ajemian and one of the better kept secrets to emerge out of Chicago's clandestine campfires and music dens. Their sound captures an Appalachian- transatlantic folk tradition so effortlessly that if it didn't already exist, they would have had to invent it themselves. Foster's spine tingling vocal delivery has been rightly compared to the likes of British folk legend and current hipster fave, Shirley Collins. On their debut, that voice is finally given full justice by the spare rhythmic arrangements of Ajemian on strings. Recorded by Paul Oldham in Louisville Kentucky."

Last year, the Children's Hour's SOS JFK album introduced the world at large to the vivid vocals of Josephine Foster. Even though they hail from Chicago, the duo mine a fine line in flowery folk-revivalism, their gear sounding as if of another time and place, having more in common with the commons and fields and magpie meadows of English folk-revival records than with the windy city in which they currently dwell. Central to such an evocative effect is Foster's pretty presence, the songbird's singing fluttering over florid blossoms, turning a wheeling wing to arc skyward, and seeming to toss and pitch on the whimsy of the wind. And it's this voice that is center-stage, again, in Born Heller, her other folkie duo.

Whilst the Children's Hour were already working with a largely stripped-down sound, Born Heller take this even further, sketching desolate environs whose Spartan strings cast settings that evoke darker visions, forsaking folk's winsome woodland wonder to render those same woods as the eerie, spooky tangles of trees into which folk wander and never return. In a more modernist fashion, there's a certain kind of "experimentalism" present in their songs, the tonal austerity of strummed mandolin and deftly-bowed double-bass an arrangement on which the album leans often, Born Heller essentially specializing in a solemn, modernist riff on folk.

Sharron Kraus
 From the UK, currently residing in Philly
 Camera Obscura Records

Currently residing in Philadelphia after years of studying at Oxford, Sharron Kraus may be this generation's answer to those highly revered interpreters of traditional British folksong, Sandy Denny and Shirley Collins. Like Gillian Welch, Kraus writes her own ballads, though hers are steeped more in the Child and Sharp ballads of England instead of the Appalachia of Welch (which of course derive from the same sources). Kraus has recorded two phenomenal albums for Camera Obscura and plays solo, accompanied only by guitar, banjo, or whistle.

"There are a few who fight a lonely battle against world music's commercialized and warped definition of folk. People like Timothy Renner, the Iditarod and Gillian Welch who dig their hands deep into the soil of an unnerving past. And let us now also count Sharron Kraus among them. She's been playing music for a decade, but it's not until now she makes her debut on record - many thanks and congratulations to Camera Obscura for that. And what a debut it is! Kraus's songs are rooted as much in Appalachian styles as in the gloomier side of British folk song with a touch of Lal Waterson. And like Waterson, Kraus has a voice of a woman, not a girl. The instrumentation is sparse, often only an earthy banjo and a gritty fiddle. The songs are like omens of a world going decidedly wrong but with alluring melodies to trick you into the trap. When the song deals with family traditions it is ridden with guilt and accusations. When she sings of love, it is of physical affection between twins or ­if Kraus cares to pour light into the grim story at all ­ it is still marred with rue and regret. The world as seen through the songs of Sharron Kraus is a relentless place of faded sepia. The only way to endure it is to turn ugliness into beauty. It doesn't really matter what is wrong, because there is no right left. Morals change and distort and you won't notice. Beautiful Twisted is the perfect title. Many singers have explored the shady side of the world and the minds of those who inhabit it, but few have done it as convincingly as Sharron Kraus. It's too early to name Beautiful Twisted a classic, but I doubt you'll find a better example of a true future folk classic this early in the new millenium." -Peter Sjoblom (The Broken Face)

Lionheart Mirth
 From San Francisco
 Members of Crack W.A.R., Zeek Shek and various noise ensembles
 A psychedelic transcontinental sound: flute with pedals, heavy guitar, percussion, keys, raspy vox, chanting, etc.

snailhook

« Reply #121 on: August 17, 2004, 05:04:00 pm »
Alcian Blue
  Drone Dimension
  Paul Michel (of The Out_Circuit)
 Stamen & Pistils

Friday, August 20
 Warehouse Next Door
 $7

Alcian Blue
 Washington, DC

??Two points to Alcian Blue for using those badass black CDRs for their self-released EP (I love those things). Presentation counts, people, and if I like what I see, I'm much more likely to appreciate what I hear. Case in point: this loud, trippy, distortion-heavy rock record.
 Translucent opens with the ear-shattering experimental ambiance of  "Angelica Take Me Down". As the song progresses, the high-pitched static grows increasingly intense, forming a distracting counterpoint to the song's intentionally offbeat chorus. It's a delicate balance, and if the levels on the guitar are obnoxiously low, the resulting diffusion of melody is all the more effective. The rest of the EP's songs are in a similar vein -- dense, shoegazing tracks with slightly haunting vocals.
 Alcian Blue definitely aren't reinventing experimental art-rock nouveau (or whatever the hell you're calling it these days), but Translucent is still a solid contribution to the genre. They're loud, they're talented and they have good taste in CDRs -- three very good reasons to dig 'em.?  -Splendid

Remember the early 90s? A few bands back then were pioneering a sound characterized by a very distinctive guitar distortion: slow dreamy melodies and de-emphasized vocals. You might have heard of a few of them, like My Bloody Valentine and Ride. Throw in a little Sonic Youth and some Boo Radleys and you will know exactly what Alcian Blue sounds like. No real effort is made to update or expand the sound. Sure, you can feel a little bit of post-rock coming in here and there, but ultimately, Slow Colorless Stare always stays true to the shoegazer format. This really seems to be working for Alician Blue; they pull off their retro sound so well that you can hardly tell that this disc is not a decade old. I particularly like the first track, ??Touch?; it is a slow-building, distorted instrumental of the type for which I have always been a sucker. On other tracks, like ??Channel,? some dreamy vocals are thrown (sometimes barely) into the mix and the tempo is kicked up.
 I always liked shoegazer bands and have been really surprised by some recent acts, like the Ides of Space, who have started making some very good fuzzy dream-pop more than a decade after the genre reached its high water mark. Alcian Blue fits right in with these guys, and if you are like me and never got tired of this stuff the first time around, you will probably like the contemporary artists too. - Justin Rude (Left Off the Dial)

Drone Dimension  
 Tampa, Florida
 Mid-tempo shoegaze in the clouded vein of Slowdive, JAMC, Black Tambourine, early Velocity Girl, Galaxie 500, Lush, etc.
 ??A shoegazer's wet dream. The drugs that all the cool kids are doing. Fuzz box explosions with reverb gone awry.?

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!! Quite simply put, Drone Dimension is one of the best new shoegaze acts we??ve heard in quite some time. All the essential ingredients are present: airy male/female vocals, soaring reverbed/distorted guitars, and overall pure sonic bliss. Huge influence from Slowdive on these guys, but altogether more upbeat in general. Your best bet is to sample the mp3 clip and let it take your head to a far-off land. - Tonevendor

What is it with all the shoegaze/old-school Brit-psych-informed bands popping up in the Bay area over the last year or so? Thank or blame Beautiful Loser, I guess, as is your wont. In any case, it's a welcome change, getting various discs that sound like more than a local band's set laid to tape. Guy-gal project Drone Dimension is marvelously cinematic -- lush, dreamy and awash in reverbed-out semi-hollow-body guitars and layered echo-chamber vocals. There are plenty of obvious reference points that run the gamut from Galaxie 500 to Starflyer 59, but the group puts its own stamp on things, coming off as more celebratory, mid-tempo epiphany than downer. Highlights include tracks one through nine. This is going into regular headphone rotation alongside likeminded locals The Human Echo. - Weekly Planet Review

Paul Michel
 Washington, DC  
 Member of The Out-Circuit goes solo

Stamen & Pistils  
 Washington, DC
 Comprised of Raul Zahir (Radel Esca, Dead Artists) and Miguel Carlo

snailhook

« Reply #122 on: August 17, 2004, 05:19:00 pm »
...and the full (well, almost) updated calendar (because our website sucks):

8/21: Enon/El Guapo
 8/22: Dove (ex-Floor/ex-Cavity)/Meatjack (At A Loss Rec.)/Trephine/Swarm of the Lotus (At A Loss Rec.) (sludge/math-metal)
 8/23: Machine Drum/Gel-Sol/Eustachean/The Deep Element (Florida IDM/Merck Records tour)
 8/25: Black Forest/Black Sea (ex-Iditarod, folk/psych)/The Big Huge (ex-Sonna)/White Flight (Jacob and Daniel from Black Eyes)/Horses (ex-Black Eyes, Fiona from Et At It)
 8/27: Food For Animals (more TBA)
 8/28:   Internal Void (record release party)/King Valley/Wretched/The Larrys (MD doom!)
 8/30:   Black Ox Orkestar (Constellation, mem. of GYBE)/(The Sounds of) Kaleidoscope/Relay
 9/4: Shoplifting (Kill Rock Stars, ex-Chromatics)
 9/8: Hello Cuca (Spain)/French Toast/Partyline
 9/9: The Cuts (Birdman Rec., from LA)/Gris Gris
 9/11:   Darediablo (Southern Rec.)/Nitroseed (ex-Spirit Caravan)/The Plums
 9/15: Lickgoldensky/Breather Resist
 9/18: Ahleuchatistas
 9/19:   Accelera Deck/Building Castles Out of Matchsticks/Caution Curves
 9/20:   Black Nasa (Meteor City Rec., mem. of Atomic Bitchwax)/The Assrockers/Durga Temple
 9/22: Mt. Eerie (The Microphones)/Calvin Johnson/Woelv
 9/25: Channels (J. Robbins of Jawbox)
 9/26:   Withered (ex-Leechmilk, Georgia sludge)/Drugs of Faith
 9/30:   Nik Turner (of Hawkwind!)/Spaceseed/Cerberus Shoal (Temporary Residence Rec.)
 10/2:   Folk/psych fest w/ Jack Rose, Excepter, Sharron Kraus, From Quagmire, more TBA
 10/5: Frog Eyes
 10/6: Gogogoairheart/Chinese Stars (ex-Arab On Radar, Six Finger Satellite/Year Future
 10/9: IQU (K Records)/Zykos
 10/11: Bible of the Devil/Lamont (Motorhead-esque rawk)
 10/12: Mirah (K Records)/Tara Jane O'Neil (Quarterstick, ex-Rodan, Retsin)
 10/13: Wives (from LA)/Navies/Barr

more soon...

ratioci nation

« Reply #123 on: August 17, 2004, 05:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by snailhook:

8/21: Enon/El Guapo
 9/22: Mt. Eerie (The Microphones)/Calvin Johnson/Woelv
 10/5: Frog Eyes
 10/12: Mirah (K Records)/Tara Jane O'Neil (Quarterstick, ex-Rodan, Retsin)

more soon...
nice, so does that mean Mt. Eerie is headlining?

snailhook

« Reply #124 on: August 17, 2004, 06:27:00 pm »
that's a package tour, so i'm not sure who is "headlining". it should be mt eerie. woelv is the dude from old time relijun, i believe.

shoot ur shot

« Reply #125 on: August 17, 2004, 08:03:00 pm »
wow, the show on sunday sounds promising. Ex cavity and floor!! shame ill already be back in school in richmond by 8/30. The Ver Tanzt? lp is cool as shit. ill do my best to come up for the darediablo/nitroseed and nik turner shows.

Jaguär

« Reply #126 on: August 18, 2004, 12:40:00 am »
Originally posted by snailhook:
  Alcian Blue
  Drone Dimension
  Paul Michel (of The Out_Circuit)
 Stamen & Pistils

Friday, August 20
 Warehouse Next Door
 $7
I'll be at this show as I know several others will be too.   :cool:

BookerT

« Reply #127 on: August 19, 2004, 11:40:00 am »
any idea who's headlining the show on saturday? i assumed it would be enon, but the ad in today's citypaper is leading me to think that it's el guapo. thanks.

snailhook

« Reply #128 on: August 19, 2004, 12:46:00 pm »
el guapo is headlining. enon will go on at 10, and el guapo at 11.

joz

« Reply #129 on: August 19, 2004, 01:45:00 pm »
wow...i'm really surprised at the order of the line-up.  enon goes from opening for a headliner (last show at the Black Cat) to opening for an opener (El Guapo opened for The Rapture at the Black Cat and played the backstage there a couple of months ago).  who cares tho.  i love anything john schmersal does (well, except for the most recent enon album...bleccch!  maybe that explains the fall from grace); it'll be nice to see them again, especially in an intimate venue like the warehouse.

snailhook

« Reply #130 on: August 19, 2004, 03:23:00 pm »
el guapo is headlining because this is the arrangement requested by both bands. there are also no other openers, so think of it as a co-headlining gig. i think enon believes el guapo will draw more because they are from DC.

snailhook

« Reply #131 on: August 19, 2004, 03:36:00 pm »
anybody who's into intricate heavy music should check out all four bands at the warehouse on sunday. it's rare that we get a bill of such high quality all-around.

Detournemont/Clavius joint productions presents:

Sunday, August 22nd @ the Warehouse Next Door
 1021 7th St NW, Washington DC
 all ages, $8
 doors at 8:30pm, show at 9pm www.warehousetheater.com

DOVE (ex-members of cavity and floor, from Florida, www.wallofdove.com)
 Dove is all about unleashing the most massive riffs upon the listener, yet they have this knack for writing songs with subtle hooks and melodies that keep them stuck in your head for days on end.  I actually thought Dove was no more, after not hearing much about the band since the split 7" with Floor and their tunes on the "South of Hell" comp disc, but here they resurface with a full-length of epic proportions.  Most of the songs on the disc are pretty short (only one goes past the four minute mark), so that means they use the relative short running times of the songs to deliver only the most intense riffs at maximum volume, and they do so with amazing results.  The riffs have a doom/sludge feel but at the same time are more angular and off-beat along the lines of bands like Keelhaul or Carrion and are laced with unusual melodies that sound like no other band out there.  "Sight and Seen" is perhaps my favorite song on the disc, with its extremely heavy yet intensely melodic riffs that are nothing short of mesmerizing.  Everything about this disc is flawless, the drumming is so damn crushing and heavy but very technical as well showing off a ton of prowess behind the kit, while the bass nails everything down with a deafening low end that can't be matched.  Henry Wilson's vocals are sort of a melodic shout that fall into place perfectly within each song and couldn't suit the music better.  I'm just stumbling over words for this one, just a fantastic album from start to finish, and I'm damn glad they re-did the song "Changing of the Seasons" from their old demos for this one (it's the last track, but renamed) as that song is an absolute monster, with one of the most thundering riffs I've ever heard.  This disc will definitely be in my top 10 this year.  I highly recommend Dove to all fans of sludge, doom, and loud riff-driven music.  This album contains some of the best riffs I've heard all year and is just a shining example of just how punishing, yet melodic, an album can be. - www.daredevil.de

Meatjack (At A Loss Records, www.meatjack.com)
 Founded by brothers Brian and Jason Daniloski, this hardworking, Baltimore, MD-based band has been constantly releasing material and touring since 1993. After a deluge of releases on 7-inch vinyl and compilations, MEATJACK found a home with At A Loss Recordings in 1999 and released their first full length CD, "Trust." A split CD and 10-inch vinyl record with Prank Records artists Damad followed in 2000. Also in 2000, infamous filmmaker John Waters used the MEATJACK song "Upstart" (from Trust) in his motion picture "Cecil B. Demented"; the song appeared on the soundtrack along with songs by The Locust, Moby, and Liberace (no kidding!!!).
 In Spring 2003, MEATJACK proudly welcomed their new drummer, Charlie Baum, and the group is now working harder than ever. In addition to releasing their new full length CD "Days of Fire" in the fall of 2003, the band's current plans are to tour extensively and continue to record.
 "Days of Fire" is MEATJACK's most fully realized release to date. Listeners encounter the band melding a well-crafted melodic sensibility with their traditional storm of sonic pummeling. Dense and multi-layered, the 10 new songs invoke a rollercoaster ride of aural energy, ranging from the all-out riff rock of "Sleep," to the dark and foreboding title track, from the III-era Zepplinesque acoustic instrumental "Blue," the manic ".45," to the ethereal monolith that is "Crawl." Renowned artist Stephen Kasner provides his otherworldly art as the perfect compliment to MEATJACK's music. - www.meatjack.com

Swarm of the Lotus (At A Loss Records) http://www.atalossrecordings.com/bandssotl.htm
 Spawned in the fall of 1998, SOTL has smothered their hometown of Baltimore in their self-proclaimed "A-Bomb Rock." Comprised of four members, Jon-John (drums), Chris (guitar/vocals), Dave (bass), and Pete (guitar/vocals), they are a force to be reckoned with. With over-the-top everything and 1000% adrenaline, they batter the listener into sensory overload. An emotional whirlwind, stretching from an absolutely crushing wall of sound, to the most suttle and serene musical soundscapes. Cacophonous yet tender, claustrophobic yet wide open.  With a new guitarist and a tour in October, Swarm of the Lotus is vamped to carry their brutality wherever they venture.  

Trephine (www.trephinemd.com)
 "Trephine (MD) is a heavy prog band...they have a dark and threatening sound, not dissimilar to Anekdoten or "Red"-era Crimson. To add to the musical dexterity on offer, and to inch up the psychotic meter a tad, they add some film samples...they have a super-over-the-top stage presentation, wearing bizarre mask and the like." - Ray Dorsey - Chaos Realm Vol.2 Issue 1

shoot ur shot

« Reply #132 on: August 20, 2004, 03:04:00 pm »
Do you know if any members of Noothgrush are still alive and if so, are they still making music?

snailhook

« Reply #133 on: August 20, 2004, 03:10:00 pm »
i believe all of noothgrush are still alive, but i think, sadly, that they are not playing music anymore, at least in a band. i could be wrong...information is hard to attain with that band.

do you have the split with corrupted? corrupted are amazing.

are you familiar with leechmilk? we have the drummer's new band, withered, coming on 9/26. they play epic, angry, noisy sludge. totally fits in with stuff like dove and cavity and noothgrush.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #134 on: August 20, 2004, 03:59:00 pm »
how much is tomorrow's show? i'll be there, but may leave after enon
o/\o