Author Topic: Warehouse shows  (Read 51446 times)

snailhook

Re: Warehouse shows
« Reply #135 on: August 20, 2004, 04:02:00 pm »
$8. it will probably sell out.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #136 on: August 20, 2004, 04:55:00 pm »
is there a way to get advance tickets? or just show up early
o/\o

snailhook

« Reply #137 on: August 20, 2004, 05:01:00 pm »
no advance tickets. just show up early. the doors will be open at 9.

shoot ur shot

« Reply #138 on: August 21, 2004, 02:43:00 pm »
really? I was told that several or a couple members of the band either committed suicide or died of some drug overdose or something. Not too sure on details myself.

Corrupted are amazing indeed. I only know OF leechmilk because they are (or were?) on tee pee records which is home to some bands I'm a big fan of like sleep, high on fire, nebula, hermano, and atomic bitchwax. But I havent picked up that split they put out. I guess I will now though. But I dont think I can make it to the show. Being in Richmond for school will keep me from going to too many shows in the dc area. I think Im seeing Converge with Cave In at the alley katz that day anyways. A friend let me hear the advance of the new album, You Fail Me. Its INCREDIBLE.

snailhook

« Reply #139 on: August 23, 2004, 04:53:00 am »
converge are awesome. "jane doe" is one of the heaviest records i've ever heard. converge are actually playing on 9/26 at the ottobar with cave in.

leechmilk definitely fit in alongside corrupted, noothgrush, his hero is gone, tragedy, church of misery, dystopia, grief, and depressing, crushing, slow sludge in general.

you like tee pee? we've got black nasa on 9/20 with durga temple, who sound like the melvins, black flag, and flipper. also, bible of the devil and lamont on 10/11, both of whom sound like they could be on tee pee.

snailhook

« Reply #140 on: August 23, 2004, 05:02:00 am »
Merck Records tour!

Machine Drum  (FL)
  Gel-Sol  (DC)
   Eustachian
  The Deep Element  

Monday, August 23

Warehouse Next Door
 1021 7th Street NW, Washington DC
 $7, all ages
 doors at 8:30, show at 9pm

Machine Drum  

Machine Drum is this guy named Travis Stewart. He launched the Merck label as stylized glitch but smacking it down to a layman's level with some venous melody. Machine Drum, to paraphrase Travis, is his party music. It's a party accentuated by mutant drum patterns, MCs freed in the digital world to slip up and double back on their rhymes, and the occasional body massage. His first release as Machine Drum,  Now You Know , was a defining moment. Mr. Stewart became a competitor to the glitch-hop throne that Prefuse 73 occupies. His second release,  Half The Battle , was a more focused affair, still cutting beats from jazz records, but laying down a smoother atmosphere. It includes remixes from Brothmostates, Proem, Esem, Tim "Koala Man" Koch, and others. Intelligent, but smart enough to not take himself that seriously,  Half The Battle  and  Now You Know  are intricately laced releases that you can chew on for a while before all their layers of connected musicianship come together, but theyâ??re also fun, melodic, and a little moving.  

"Intricately laid IDMania from Mr. Travis from the South... A very impressive display of tag-team melody/rhythm programming (esp. given the ridiculously outmoded MOD construction environment used within; akin to carving Mount Rushmore w/a toothpick). Above average use of harmonic material; gives the tracks the illusion of 'music'. Quite good." -- Hrvatski.  

"With so many contenders competing for the spotlight, it's easy to overlook the smaller players. But Machine Drum, a dark horse on Miami's tiny Merck label, is where I'd place my chips.  Now You Know  is perhaps the most promising and accomplished album born yet from the marriage of IDM and hip-hop, and it comes from an artist with only one other song to his name, a gem called "Izzy Rael" from Merck's Squadron compilation last year." - Malcom Seymour III for
 Pitchforkmedia  

"It took some time, but Mr. Drumâ??s debut album  Now You Know  fast became a bit of a classic, overthrowing the likes of Push Button Objects and Mr. Herren from the hiphoptronica throne. This long awaited new 6 tracker features new Machine Drum material, alongside remixes from MD regulars Proem, Brothomstates, and Ilkae." - boomkat.com  

RIYD: Prefuse 73, Boards of Canada, Dabyre, MF Doom, Tina Yothers

Gel-Sol  

"IDM, ambient, and cut-up, freeform jazz. Gel-Sol turned in an entire album that was well conceived and cleverly put together. Nice original sounds, ice-cold pads, and lost transmission-style samples fill this disc...Damn good music, and clean well-done production. I could see this being big with the ambient IDM lovers of the world." â?? Innerloop Magazine

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #141 on: August 23, 2004, 09:17:00 am »
So how was Enon/El Guapo?

godsshoeshine

« Reply #142 on: August 23, 2004, 10:47:00 am »
awesome. however, the doors didn't open until like 10. and i got there early on snailhook's advice.  ;)

enon are really fan friendly, i noticed toko talking with several fans, and she even translated my tshirt for me
o/\o

snailhook

« Reply #143 on: August 24, 2004, 02:57:00 pm »
lest anyone think we're unprofessional, the doors only opened late because one of the bands arrived late and wanted to do a soundcheck. i've never seen the warehouse that full. we sold out during enon's set.

it was definitely the best el guapo set i've seen. josh blair of orthrelm was the drummer, which made them exponentially better than usual.

snailhook

« Reply #144 on: August 24, 2004, 03:03:00 pm »
more psych-folk at the warehouse, plus the last white flight show in DC before jacob and daniel head to california, and the debut of horses!

Black Forest/Black Sea  
  The Big Huge
 White Flight
 Horses

Wednesday, August 25
 Warehouse Next Door
 1021 7th Street NW, Washington DC
 $6, all ages
 doors open at 8:30, show at 9pm

Black Forest/Black Sea (Providence)

Black Forest/Black Sea is the duo of Jeffrey Alexander and Miriam Goldberg. They formed the band in April of 2003 in Providence, RI where both currently live and work. Miriam primarily plays cello and sings, while Jeffrey primarily plays guitar, although both also employ various electronics, omnichord, live sampling tools, strumstick, and whatever they can get their hands on. Since forming, BF/BS have toured extensively, travelling around the US for six weeks in the summer of 2003 and in Europe for three and a half months in winter and spring of 2004.

BF/BS have toured with Fursaxa, Christiina Carter (of Scorces, Charalambides), Gravenhurst, and in Poland with the Magic Carpathian Project. They have also collaborated on recordings with Kemialliset Ystavat, Christina Carter, Glenn Donaldson (of the Jewelled Antler Collective), Gravenhurst, and German psych-folk duo Fit and Limo.

Before forming this new project, both Jeffrey and Miriam were members of the acid-folk group Iditarod. The Iditarod (BlueSanct / Secretly Canadian, Elsie and Jack, Time-Lag, and Camera Obscura labels) toured extensively in the USA, Canada, and Europe over the past six years and have been featured repeatedly in magazines like the Wire, Broken Face, Mojo, Rockerilla, Copper Press, Magnet, Dream Magazine, Ptolemaic Terrascope, and Rolling Stone. They performed at the 5th Terrastock Festival in Boston, where a 5x7" box set was released featuring the Iditarod, Sonic Youth, Bardo Pond, Stone Breath, and Charalambides. Jeffrey also operated the Magic Eye Singles record label and he currently runs the Secret Eye record label.

The Big Huge (Baltimore)

Brought up on American folk and British psychedelic pop music, The Big Huge wears its influence on its sleeve, while being sure not to recreate the past. After the split of Sonna, a Baltimore-based ambient instrumental group, The Big Huge (Drew Nelson) decided to revert back to his love of acoustic instrumentation. After a few solo shows, he decided to recruit a fellow Baltimore-based musician, Michael Lambright, to help with accordion, ukelele, glockenspiel, and banjo. After a year of shows in Baltimore and the east coast, Drew and Michael began recording their first LP, Crown Your Head With Flowers, Crown Your Heart With Joy. Recorded by Chris Freeland and Drew in Chrisâ?? parentsâ?? living room, the record has a summer vibe with lyrics harking back to a time of Welsh communes during the summer of love.

Recommended for fans of The Incredible String Band, Donovan, Vashti Bunyan, etc.

White Flight (DC)

Daniel Martin-McCormick and Jacob Long from Black Eyes doing improvised experimental noise, this will be their last show on the east coast for quite some time

Horses (DC)

The debut of Hugh, Mike, and Dan of Black Eyes, with Fiona from Et At It

thirsty moore

« Reply #145 on: August 26, 2004, 11:08:00 am »
Okay, so The Big Huge were excellent.  Two guys, one on accordion and ukelele and the other on vocals, guitar, banjo, and other stringed instruments.  I caught some hints of Nick Drake.  

Unfortunately, I had to leave before Black Sea.  I caught the tail end of White Flight and thought they sucked, hard.  What I saw and heard were two guys stroking their egos and being "experimental."  Fuck that.

Originally posted by snailhook:
  more psych-folk at the warehouse, plus the last white flight show in DC before jacob and daniel head to california, and the debut of horses!

walkman

« Reply #146 on: August 26, 2004, 03:33:00 pm »
shit I meant to go for Horses...how were they?

thirsty moore

« Reply #147 on: August 26, 2004, 03:58:00 pm »
I missed Horses, they were on first.  I got their near the end of the set for White Flight, who were on second.

snailhook

« Reply #148 on: August 26, 2004, 05:28:00 pm »
What I saw and heard were two guys stroking their egos and being "experimental." Fuck that.

what you call "stroking ego," i call "exploring sound." i know that this type of music isn't for everybody, but i thought daniel and jacob did an admirable job of creating new sounds and textures. they certainly aren't free jazz masters, but they are taking the influence of derek bailey, AMM, and han bennink and filtering it through a post-punk, post-modern approach. i enjoyed their set.

horses played four songs, for 10 minutes. they sounded exactly like what you think they would: like the black eyes with et at it-style staccato melodies. hugh screamed, and mike and dan played two drum kits simultaneously. it was good but not much of a digression from black eyes.

the big huge were great and played one of my favorite folk ballads, "willie o' winsbury." black forest/black sea were also phenomenal, alternating between abstract psychedelic noise and pretty folk songs with female vocals. william schaff, who did the artwork for GYBE's "lift your skinny fists like antennas to heaven," was on tour with them and projected slides of his artwork while they played. his artwork is stunning and melancholy.

all the hipsters who came out to see the black eyes side projects and left before the last two bands were fools. so much for being open-minded.

snailhook

« Reply #149 on: August 27, 2004, 08:47:00 pm »
august 28th: internal void/king valley/wretched/the larrys

i don't have time to write lengthy descriptions or find reviews and press to post for these bands, because all you need to know is that internal void are one of the best doom metal bands in the country, and this is their record release party.

dave sherman of spirit caravan and earthride will be making his debut on bass for king valley, and wretched are another long-running maryland doom band. the larrys are a punk band from frederick in the vein of black flag and early '80s hardcore.

it's $8 and all ages.
 doors are at 8:30, and the show is at 9.

12pm: internal void
 11pm: king valley
 10pm: wretched
 9pm: the larrys