Author Topic: Warehouse shows  (Read 51444 times)

snailhook

Re: Warehouse shows
« Reply #165 on: September 20, 2004, 04:40:00 pm »
tonight! stoner rock at the warehouse...

black nasa (meteor city, featuring chris koznik of atomic bitchwax)
 assrockers
 durga temple

$7, all ages
 doors at 8:30, show at 9

freddyadu

« Reply #166 on: September 20, 2004, 05:35:00 pm »
what's the parking situation like around that venue?

snailhook

« Reply #167 on: September 20, 2004, 07:00:00 pm »
black nasa had to cancel due to van problems. the show will go on tonight with assrockers and durga temple, and will now be only $5.

snailhook

« Reply #168 on: September 20, 2004, 07:01:00 pm »
freddy, the parking situation is fine during the week. you can usually find parking around the washington convention center.

during the weekend, it's a bit tougher.

jkeisenh

« Reply #169 on: September 21, 2004, 10:16:00 am »
belated, i know, but... i caught the show saturday night and it was great fun-- bands that didn't take themselves at all seriously, made decent music (that mathrock band was actually quite good) and friendly folks.

joz

« Reply #170 on: September 21, 2004, 02:17:00 pm »
are the chinese stars still scheduled for the 6th of october?  there's somewhere else i have to be that evening but i'm hoping to get out in time for their set...hopefully, they'll go on later in the night.

snailhook

« Reply #171 on: September 21, 2004, 02:41:00 pm »
joz, i'm glad you asked...sadly, chinese stars bailed out on their tour with gogogoairheart, so they will not be playing that night. it'll still be a great show, but i was really looking forward to seeing them.

in case you're curious, year future is sonny from GSL/the VSS/angel hair's new band.

ratioci nation

« Reply #172 on: September 22, 2004, 10:19:00 am »
snailhook, what time do you recommend getting to the warehouse tonight to avoid getting shut out?

snailhook

« Reply #173 on: September 22, 2004, 01:07:00 pm »
tonight (wed sept 22)
 at the warehouse next door
 all ages, $7, 8:30 doors

CALVIN JOHNSON
 MT. EERIE (Microphones)
 WOELV

the above artists need no description. well, i think woelv is the dude from old time relijun.

the show will most likely sell out, so get there around 8 if you really want to make sure you get in. there's no way to tell, as we don't pre-sell tickets.

freddyadu

« Reply #174 on: September 22, 2004, 02:24:00 pm »
microphones: a solo set or w/backing band?

joz

« Reply #175 on: September 22, 2004, 02:45:00 pm »
thanks for the info snail. bummer about the chinese stars...was one of the few shows i was really looking forward to next month. glad i asked instead of busting my ass to get over to the warehouse that night.

snailhook

« Reply #176 on: September 22, 2004, 02:54:00 pm »
freddy, i'm not 100% sure, but the microphones will probably be just phil elvrum with an electric guitar. calvin johnson and woelv may accompany him on some songs.

snailhook

« Reply #177 on: September 22, 2004, 04:21:00 pm »
Thursday, September 23
 $5, all ages
 doors at 8:30, show at 9:15

Ostinato (Exile on Mainstream/Southern Records, featuring Dave Hennessy of The Hidden Hand)
 The Mensa Select (Richmond)
 The Mother's Anger (NYC via Israel, guitar/drums duo produced by Michael Davis of MC5)

Ostinato
 Atmospheric post-punk, like a hybrid of Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai, Unwound, and The Shipping News

My pop always told me to look it up if I didn't know what it meant. In Ostinato's case, though, you glean more of their sound if you look at the context within which the term is usually employed: namely, classical, instrumental art music.

But don't go to sleep on me yet. Ostinato rock's harder than Beethoven could have even if he'd had a Roland instead of a harpsichord, or whatever kind of proto piano he'd supposed to have had. Yes, even harder than the temporally transplanted Beethoven in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. ( Or was that Mozart? whatever). But this is instrumental music, and patterns of sound are its bag. Sure, guitarist Dave Hennessy sings, but the vocals get buried in the mix and don't hit your ears so much as collect like mist on your windshield on a foggy night. Like their more well known music kin, Mogwai, and my Bloody Valentine, the voice is just another instrument, another piece of sound.

All of which begs the question, what is this music about? Unlike the more classical minded, real rock fans like to have some associations to hang on our music. Art for Arts sake'll get you a boot in the face, or at least written off as art rock wankers. We are a practical bunch. What can I do with the music?

That's the upshot to Ostinato's classical Rock: you can go places with it. You have to; if you don't mad lib your way through it, you don't have the lyrically preprogrammed sentiments (i.e. I am in Love, I want to be in Love, I wish he/she loved me, why does nobody love me, i am so lonely etc, etc,.) to fall back on. Sometimes we need a rock star to speak the words we feel in side. Sometimes, though, we just need a soundtrack to our own movies.

This soundtrack's all sharp uphill angles and calm, echo-heavy revelry. Hennessy's schizo guitar goes from thumping metal chords to languorous atmospherics in the blink of an eyeâ?? its at its best when its doing a little bit of both. If it is putting your head in the clouds, Jeremy Ramirez's narcotically head bobbing bass and Mathew Clark's soliddly restrained drumming keep your feet on the ground.

Or at least bouncing up and down. Their live energy's has got the heft to submerge the cereberal whithin the physicalâ?? the wall of sound can push you over, to, But then again, its all kinda paint-by-number if it doesn't make you move. --Mike Parisi

The Mensa Select
 Richmond math-rock/post-punk quartet; think June of 44 and Slint

The Mother's Anger
 Debut album out in September on Dionysus Records, produced by Mike Davis from the MC5; guitar/drums noise-rock

THE MOTHERS ANGER is a two-piece band from Israel that sounds like a five piece band from Detroit. Could this be because the debut full-length by drummer/vocalist Jimi and guitarist/vocalist Stitch was produced by bassist Michael Davis of legendary Detroit rockers the MC5? You read that right, a two-piece band in which the guitarist tunes a few strings to play the bass and guitar parts simultaneously, and enters the studio with a producer who happens to be a famous bass player (and also plays on a track!). THE MOTHERS ANGER tours in traditional Wandering Jew fashion:­ two guys, an old gutted out van, some cool vintage equipment, and a burning desire to rock your world. Think NIRVANA meets BLACK SABBATH at a STOOGES Fun House rent party and brace yourself for some of the most full-bodied, raw guts and emotion, dead-ahead rock and roll this side of Jerusalem. Cover art by Seattle based cartoon art hero Jim Blanchard makes this release by THE MOTHERS ANGER grab the eyes as well as the ears.

ratioci nation

« Reply #178 on: September 22, 2004, 06:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by snailhook:
  tonight (wed sept 22)
 at the warehouse next door
 all ages, $7, 8:30 doors

CALVIN JOHNSON
 MT. EERIE (Microphones)
 WOELV

the above artists need no description. well, i think woelv is the dude from old time relijun.

the show will most likely sell out, so get there around 8 if you really want to make sure you get in. there's no way to tell, as we don't pre-sell tickets.
a little research reveals Woelv is actually a French Canadian woman named Geneviève

http://www.newmusiccanada.com/genres/artist.cfm?Band_Id=6919

snailhook

« Reply #179 on: September 22, 2004, 07:04:00 pm »
thanks, pollard...we had head a long time ago that CJ and mt eerie were going to tour with the OTR dude, hence why i thought that.