Author Topic: Warehouse shows  (Read 51442 times)

redsock

Re: Warehouse shows
« Reply #195 on: October 05, 2004, 03:12:00 pm »
Hey snailhook, we are trying to include the Warehouse on our calendar, but wihtout any sort of listing, it is near impossible. I know the website sucks, but do you all have an e-mail you send out? I thought Bags used to get one. Just trying to help bring you all some love.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #196 on: October 05, 2004, 04:00:00 pm »
http://planariainc.com/mailinglist.html

You still don't usually get a lot of advanced warning though.

snailhook

« Reply #197 on: October 06, 2004, 03:11:00 pm »
TONIGHT!  OCTOBER 6th

part of the Warehouse Arts Festival
 1017-1021 7th St NW DC

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 in the next door space
 9:00 Doors
 YEAR FUTURE
 >  (GSL Records, ex. VSS, Angel Hair, Dead & Gone)
 GOGOGO AIRHEART
 >  (GSL Records)

in the cafe/theater
 8:00 $5
 Films that Rock!
 BURN TO SHINE
 LOVITT TRANSMISSION

YEAR FUTURE is a Los Angeles-based quartet comprised of vocalist Sonny Kay (THE VSS, ANGEL HAIR), guitarist Rockey Crane (DEAD AND GONE, CREEPS ON CANDY), bassist Sam Ott (THE FUCKING ANGELS), and drummer Jim Andersen (THE PATTERN, BLACKFORK, TALK IS POISON). All four members spent years living in Oakland/Berkeley before one-by-one winding up in L.A. and starting YEAR FUTURE in early 2003. The band have been compared to everything from BAUHAUS and TUXEDO MOON to the NATION OF ULYSSES and LAUGHING HYENAS.

GOGOGO AIRHEART combine the diverse territories of disco, post-punk and the art-rock glam classicism of The Stooges in a stunning display of slippery funk bass lines, jagged guitar cuts, scathing vocals and polyrhythmic drumming.

BURN TO SHINE is a film that takes place on one day in a house that no longer exists.  Filmmakers  Brendan Canty and Christoph Green used the house to film Q and Not U, Medications, Garland of Hours,  French Toast,  Ted Leo, Weird War, The Evens, and Bob Mould playing their music live in the living room. Very simple and beautiful.   Features the destruction of one pretty nice house. 45 min.

LOVITT TRANSMISSION: Volume One DVD is Lovitt's first foray into documenting the label's history from a visual and sonic perspective. Composed of interviews, live performances, and tour footage captured from 1994 to 2003 by friends, fans,
 bands, and a professional production team, the DVD tells the story of one of the east coast's most influential, community-based record labels. 45 min

jkeisenh

« Reply #198 on: October 07, 2004, 09:30:00 am »
Great show last night, snail.  I thought both bands were pretty good, and it was really a shame that the crowd wasn't bigger.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #199 on: October 07, 2004, 10:53:00 am »
Originally posted by snailhook:

BURN TO SHINE is a film that takes place on one day in a house that no longer exists.  Filmmakers  Brendan Canty and Christoph Green used the house to film Q and Not U, Medications, Garland of Hours,  French Toast,  Ted Leo, Weird War, The Evens, and Bob Mould playing their music live in the living room. Very simple and beautiful.   Features the destruction of one pretty nice house. 45 min.

This movie was really nice. Brendan was there to introduce it.  They told each band to show up at the top of each hour, plug in and play exactly one song.  No interviews or talking at all.  Just the songs performed in an otherwise empty living room. The footage of the house being destroyed is pretty effective.

They're now doing the same thing in different cites.  The Chicago one is done.  They want to try to put one out every 4-6 months.

I highly recommed seeing it, if you get the chance.

Lou Reed

« Reply #200 on: October 07, 2004, 05:17:00 pm »
Not to be ignorant, but is the Warehouse near the 9:30?  I'm not from D.C. and can't find where it's located.  Wolf Eyes on Halloween, right?

ratioci nation

« Reply #201 on: October 07, 2004, 05:23:00 pm »

ggw

« Reply #202 on: October 07, 2004, 05:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by Lou Reed:
  Not to be ignorant, but is the Warehouse near the 9:30?  I'm not from D.C. and can't find where it's located.  Wolf Eyes on Halloween, right?
It is about a dozen (or so) blocks away from the 9:30 Club.  It's near the corner of 7th Street and New York Avenue (NW) right across the street from the big honking new convention center.

snailhook

« Reply #203 on: October 07, 2004, 09:10:00 pm »
Great show last night, snail. I thought both bands were pretty good, and it was really a shame that the crowd wasn't bigger.  
yeah, chimbly, it was a damn good show. gogogoairheart are one of my favorite live bands, and i don't understand how people go batshit crazy for franz ferdinand and !!! when gogogo are far superior, IMO. the crowd size wasn't too meager, as it was a wednesday night, the black keys and cuts were at the 9:30, and there were no local bands on the bill. year future impressed me as well.

wolf eyes are on halloween with rubber o cement, who are led by a guy from the legendary noise/psych/outsider band caroliner. this is a show not be missed.

Bags

« Reply #204 on: October 08, 2004, 02:24:00 pm »
Sat Oct 9 at the
 Warehouse Next Door
 $7 ? Doors at 9:00

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 IQU + Zykos + Stamens and Pistils
 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Olympia, WA lo-fi electronic trio IQU (pronounced ee-koo) mixes drum-n-bass with the immediacy of lo-fi and punk.

ZYKOS -  wall of sound arrangements - brighter synth and keys - bigger hooks- dynamic sound - more calm amidst the chaos - cohesive without sacrificing intensity.

STAMEN AND PISTILS allude to an ongoing collusion between bedroom hip-hop and dirty indie pop, by blending crunchy, lo-fi sounds and unconventional
 pop songwriting.

snailhook

« Reply #205 on: October 11, 2004, 03:18:00 am »
Tonight!

Monday, October 11
 $6, all ages
 doors at 8:30, show at 9:30

Bible of the Devil  (from Chicago, Dead Teenager Rec.)
 The Little White Pills (featuring Gary Isom and Johnny Wretched)

Anyone who lives in the DC area who appreciates tight, kick-ass rock 'n' roll should check this one out. Bible of the Devil's singer sounds like Bon Scott, sings like Phil Lynott at times, the twin guitars are straight out of the NWOBHM/Maiden/Priest/UFO school, and the rhythm section is straight-up, no frills Motorhead/Zeke. With songs titles like "Born in Jail" and "Ball Deep, Mountain High," you can't lose.
 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 Tight Empire is the fourth release by Chicago dirt bags, Bible of the Devil, and their first for Dead Teenager records (Speedealer, Zeke, Players Club). I can't say enough about this band.

Bible of the Devil really fuckin' bring it. These guys are the hardest working band in Chicago, and for what its worth, they are one of my favorites. Their sound is classic: Marshall stacks cranked all the way, bowel-moving bass, and tight speedball drumming. They have pushed out three self-released and self-produced records before this one, all raw and trashy, but this time they out did themselves. They teamed up with Chicago studio-head Mike Lust to record Tight Empire and put in a lot of effort and put away a lot of booze and came out with an amazing record.

BOTD dominate with dual guitar harmonies and relentless energy and write epic pummelers about barbiturates, Iron Maiden, killin', drinkin', and just being plain ol' scumbags. The guitar combo of Mark Hoffman and Nate Perry are a power-force comparable to the greats: Brian Robertson and Scott Gorham, Buck Dharma and Allan Lanier, Bruce Franklin and Frank Wartell, and KK Downing and Glenn Tipton. Seriously. The band covets the same classic rock ethic that so many others try to achieve, but that haven't existed since Slash met Izzy. I don't want to make this sound like they are some kind of rock revivalists or are here to save rock and roll or ??industry buzzword #25,? but Bible of the Devil play like they are gearing up to tour with Richie Blackmore's Rainbow way back in '75.

Tight Empire has already made my best of 2004 list (have I got my head too far up their asses, yet?). Highly recommended for fans of Thin Lizzy, Motorhead, early Aerosmith, Slade, Rainbow and AC/DC. (Velcro Lewis, Stonerrock.com)
 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Little White Pills will be making their debut DC appearance featuring Gary Isom of Spirit Caravan and Nitroseed and Johnny Wretched (of Wretched). They're less stoner rock than just plain old trash-punk with a metal edge. Think Black Flag, The Dead Boys, and The Ramones.

Captain Jack

« Reply #206 on: October 11, 2004, 07:39:00 pm »
What's the word on this Growing/Orthrelm collaboration in November?

snailhook

« Reply #207 on: October 12, 2004, 03:13:00 am »
it looks like friday november 26, but it's not 100%.

snailhook

« Reply #208 on: October 12, 2004, 03:08:00 pm »
parker & lily is cancelled tonight, as lily's mother passed away. the whole show is called off.

snailhook

« Reply #209 on: October 12, 2004, 05:12:00 pm »
Wednesday, October 13
 $6, all ages
 doors at 8:30, show at 9:15

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 Wives + Navies + A Day in Black and White
 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Wives  - Wedded to bastard fury and volume, the hyper-intelligent and incredibly impatient Los Angeles trio Wives delivers intense, bombastic rhythms. Noisy discordant guitar frenzy underlines and pierces through a vehement shouted and spoken narrative. Songs slow down just to wind back up into break neck speeds, furiously paving new directions. Wives' driving force is a reckoning to develop something organic and original.  Combined influential nods and musical elements of past greats like Rapeman, Bastro, Black Flag and the Minutemen are mixed with the contemporary likeness of Lightning Bolt, The Locust, Arab On Radar, or even early Black Dice --all seen through an early 80's Dischord filter via Government Issue, Teen Idles or Skewbald.  Wives are touring in support of their new LP/CD on Cold Sweat Records entitled "Erect the Youth Problem."

Navies - DC-based trio whose sound is influenced by both the heavy rhythmic textures of punk/post-punk music (The Ex, Gang of Four, Pere Ubu), American and European art and psych rock from the 1960s and 1970s (Captain Beefheart, This Heat, Parson Sound), as well as aspects of noise, free music and dub.  

A Day In Black And White  - This DC-area three piece picks up where bands like recently defunct Level-Plane Alumni City of Caterpillar left off with their dynamic and epic post-rock-inspired hardcore. Citing influence ranging from Converge to Godspeed You Black Emperor!, ADIBAW propel the songs on their debut full length album "My Heroes Have Always Killed Cowboys" from soft to loud via murderous drumming, dark guitar/bass interplay, and neck snapping crescendos, while still leaving room for memorable hooks and dramatic, intelligent lyrics.