Author Topic: Warehouse shows  (Read 51441 times)

ratioci nation

Re: Warehouse shows
« Reply #180 on: September 23, 2004, 01:09:00 am »
Calvin Johnson needs to shorten his story telling and let them have the AC on but I thought the show overall was really good, Woelv was surprisingly good

snailhook

« Reply #181 on: September 23, 2004, 01:54:00 am »
yeah, no shit! i got out of work at 10 and rushed to the warehouse, hoping i wasn't too late. i walked in and it was stuffy and i was like "what happened to the AC?" apparently, calvin likes people to be uncomfortable.

i caught the last 10-15 minutes of his set, which was ok but nothing special. i have a feeling i missed the better part of his set. woelv was good, sort of like a french-canadian cat power. the microphones (well, phil elvrum) were excellent. nobody plays chord progressions like that guy, and just when you're really deep into the song, he ends it. he's also one awkwardly funny dude.

pollard, i was the guy in the helium shirt who told people to stand up during woelv's set. cuz i'm a show nazi.

ratioci nation

« Reply #182 on: September 23, 2004, 09:05:00 am »
Originally posted by snailhook:
  pollard, i was the guy in the helium shirt who told people to stand up during woelv's set. cuz i'm a show nazi.
ok, I thought that might be you, I was the guy in the gbv shirt (surprise!)

I completely agree about the Cat Power comparison with Woelv, except if it was Cat Power she would have never made it through a song

sounds like you missed the half hour long Calvin Johnson story about his van wreck

snailhook

« Reply #183 on: September 23, 2004, 08:19:00 pm »
Sunday, September 26th
 all ages, $5
 doors at 8:30, show at 9

Withered (ex-Social Infestation, ex-Leechmilk, from Georgia)  
 mp3: http://www.kickyride.com/withered/fearandpain.mp3
  Drugs of Faith (Reptilian Records, ex-Enemy Soil)
 mp3: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/chuck78/dof/thefalsewar.mp3
 Vog
 The Tenth Key

Withered

Withered was formed in the early summer of 2003 in Atlanta, GA. Chris and Mike, founding and current members of the grindcore/crust punk band Social Infestation, wanted to explore extreme music and create something with black metal overtones and dramatic guitar melodies while still clinging to their punk and grind roots. They needed an unrelenting percussion force to accomplish this so they called upon longtime friend and accomplished drummer, Wes Kever (ex- Puaka Balava). The three-piece began to write and discovered what kind of band Withered was going to become. After a few songs they realized it was time to find the bassist that could fill out Withered's sound and audibly obliterate their listeners. They called upon Greg Hess, the former bassist for Leechmilk (RIP). He was known for pummeling his instrument and his menacing sludgy background helped shape what would become Withered as it is today. Withered has been touring and stirring up a frenzy in the eastern US supporting bands like Mastodon and Exhumed. They spent the first half of 2004 completing their 5 song EP "Order Born From Chaos" (soon to be released) with producer Michael Green (Light Pupil Dilate). They have released 3 of the songs on a demo CD which has been gaining tremendous momentum and praise. Songs like "The Fear and Pain That Cripples Me" are an unrelenting force of grind and metal while the almost-nine-minute epic "Like Locusts" embraces the darkest attributes of life with lulling guitar melodies, majestic riffage, and blistering verses. this is just a sign of everything that's to come from Withered as they are a establishing a new standard for heavy music as we know it.

snailhook

« Reply #184 on: September 29, 2004, 04:20:00 pm »
Thursday, September 30
 $10, all ages
 doors at 8:30, show at 9:15

Nik Turner (of Hawkwind!) w/ Spaceseed, featuring the Solar Fire Light Show
 Cerberus Shoal (from Maine, Temporary Residence)
 Cat Time (prog-punk noise rock from Detroit)

Come out and see the legendary Nik Turner, who plays lots of '70s Hawkwind gems and still kicks a lot of ass. The Solar Fire Light Show will take you back to the glory days of liquid light shows. Openers Cerberus Shoal will tweak those with their bent take on tribal commune acid folk, and Cat Time will kick off the evening with a dose of Ruins-esque prog-punk. Not to be missed!

jkeisenh

« Reply #185 on: September 29, 2004, 04:46:00 pm »
And tonight, that is, Wed 9/29, Circle Takes the Square plays some good old screamy mathy punky goodness.  i'll be there.

snailhook

« Reply #186 on: September 30, 2004, 03:25:00 am »
a little more info for tonight's psych blowout...

Nik Turner  (of Hawkwind!) w/ Spaceseed, featuring the Solar Fire Light Show

Nik Turner has been blaring his psychedelic sax (and flute) for well over 30 years now, most notably in space-rock pioneers Hawkwind and '80s post-punk politicos Inner City Unit. He's continued to push the envelope and plays with an energy betraying his 64 years.  For this tour, Turner's supported by Atlanta's Spaceseed, including DC's own Sam Lohman and John Stanton (from Cash Slave Clique).  Expect invigorated versions of "Master of the Universe," "Brainstorm," and "Silver Machine," among many other Hawkwind gems.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
  The Solar Fire Lightshow is a 3D Psychedelic Lightshow featuring 35mm slides of space scenes, stars, swirling kaleidoscopic colors, oil wheels, moire`s, black lights, strobes, smoke and moonflower effects. It's an extra-sensory overload and a lush, psychedelic feast for the eyes.
 No two shows are ever the same!

The Solar Fire Lightshow has provided lighting for many acts from all over the world. In Feburary of 2000 we were invited to New Zealand and Australia to provide visual stimulation for the Hawkwind audiences who attended Hawkwind's first ever down under tour!

The Solar Fire Lightshow can provide a stunning visual backdrop for almost any musical act and is proud to have worked with the following fine bands: Hawkwind - Ozric Tentacles - Gong - Daevid Allen - Alien Planetscapes - F/i - Porcupine Tree - Architectural Metaphor - Chrome - Helios Creed - Nucleon - Quarkspace - and many, many others!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Cerberus Shoal (from Portland ME, Temporary Residence Records)

Formed in the early 90s, this six piece collective has steadily gained a name for themselves as one of the most interesting and original bands coming out of the North American indie scene today. On this, their 9th full length release, Claiming the Knoblessone incorporates everything from spoken word, accordion, abstract electronics and even toy piano into something approaching post-rock, industrial, improv, cabaret and indie. And like Frank Sinatra, Cerberus Shoal most certainly do it their way.

Alternating between something resembling The B52s jamming with Captain Beefheart and Frank Zappa attempting half-finished Yes covers, we begin our journey with "Apatrides". This starts off as a lovely ambient piece and ends up sounding something like The Jim Rose Circus Sideshow performing in a student play before returning to its lovely ambience. (Olli Siebelt)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Cat Time  
 Michigan sextet playing quirky, spazzy prog

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #187 on: October 04, 2004, 03:10:00 pm »
Warehouse Arts Fest
 http://www.warehouseartsfest.org/
 Oct 1-10

[The part that got my attention]:

October 6,      8:00 pm
 Films that Rock! Burn to Shine & Lovitt Transmissions
 Burn to Shine is a film that takes place on one day in a house that no
 longer exists. Filmmakers Brendan Canty and Christoph Green used the house
 to film Q and Not U, Medications, Garland of Hours, French Toast, Ted Leo,
 Weird War, The Evens, and Bob Mould playing their music live in the living
 room. Very simple and beautiful.

Lovitt Transmissions: Volume One DVD is Lovitt~Rs first foray into
 documenting the label~Rs history from a visual and sonic perspective.
 Composed of interviews, live performances, and tour footage captured from
 1994 to 2003 by friends, fans, bands, and a professional production team,
 the DVD tells the story of one of the east coast~Rs most influential,
 community-based record labels.

snailhook

« Reply #188 on: October 04, 2004, 05:23:00 pm »
i think these look good, too:

Tuesday October 5, 7:00 pm
 Damon Krukowski (Galaxie 500, Damon & Naomi) reads from his new book, The Memory Theater Burned. Damon Krukowski is the co-founder and editor of Exact Change, and founding member of Galaxie 500. He currently records with Naomi Yang as Damon and Naomi. He will read from his book of prose poetry, ??The Memory Theater Burned.? In
 these lines, Damon Krukowski often attempts to state the obvious. But truth is elusive, and Krukowski??s poems also bear the record of the difficulties he encountered in its pursuit. Plus excerpts from Don??t Let Our Youth Go To Waste -
 a comprehensive visual document spanning the history of Galaxie 500.
 Co-sponsored by Olsson's Books and Records and Plexi Film.
 ++++++++++++++++++++
 Tuesday, October 5
 Frog Eyes + Portions Toll
 FROG EYES is Disjointed, Evasive, Haunting, Melodramatic, Dissonant, Anguished, Ominous and Highly Recommended. Carey Mercer is by far the most consistently interesting Canadian songwriter. Locals PORTIONS TOLL (members of Metropolitan and The Plums) rocks.
 ++++++++++++++++++++
 Wednsday, October 6
 Year Future + GoGoGo Airheart
 YEAR FUTURE takes post-hardcore ethics and applies them to give post-punk a makeover. Aggravated tempos and buzzing guitars touch equally on Public Image Ltd. and Joy Division as The Locust. GOGOGO AIRHEART combine the diverse
 territories of disco, post-punk and the art-rock glam classicism of The Stooges in a stunning display of slippery funk bass lines, jagged guitar cuts, scathing vocals and polyrhythmic drumming.
 ++++++++++++++++++++
 Saturday, October 9
 IQU + Zykos + Stamen and Pistils
 The Olympia, WA lo-fi electronic trio IQU (pronounced ee-koo) mixes drum-n-bass
 with the immediacy of lo-fi and punk. ZYKOS - wall of sound arrangements - brighter synth and keys - bigger hooks - dynamic sound - more calm amidst the chaos - cohesive without sacrificing intensity. STAMEN AND PISTILS allude to an
 ongoing collusion between bedroom hip-hop and dirty indie pop, by blending crunchy, lo-fi sounds and unconventional pop songwriting.

snailhook

« Reply #189 on: October 04, 2004, 05:38:00 pm »
October calendar, since we're in the process of revamping the website:

10/5: Frog Eyes (Absolutely Kosher)/Portions Toll (members of Metropolitan and The Plums)
 10/6: Gogogoairheart (GSL)/Year Future (GSL, ex-Angel Hair/The VSS)
 10/9: IQU (K Records)/Zykos/Stamen & Pistils
 10/10: Zea (from Holland)/Persil/Dan Deacon
 10/11: Bible of the Devil (from Chicago, Dead Teenager Records)/The Little White Pills (featuring Gary Isom of Spirit Caravan and Nitroseed)
 10/12: Parker & Lily/Brandon Butler
 10/13: Wives (from LA)/Navies/A Day In Black And White (Level Plane Rec.)
 10/14: The Makers (Kill Rock Stars/Sub Pop)/The Shakedowns
 10/15: The Creeping Nobodies (from Canada)/Perfect Panther (ex-Chisel)/Barr/Bobby Birdman/1999
 10/16: The Bloodthirsty Lovers (ex-Grifters/Dambuilders)/The Transgressors (alt-country from Austin)/Shortstack
 10/17: Eugene & Niko from Oxbow (acoustic, legendary Birthday Party-esque band from SF, Neurot/SST)/Dixie Witch (Small Stone, from Texas)/Meatjack (from Baltimore, At A Loss Rec.)/Amplified Heat (Arclight Rec., from Texas)/The Last Vegas (Get Hip Rec., from Chicago)
 10/19: Paik (Detroit space rock instrumental trio)/Lacoste (Fremch rap duo from LA)/Gemini (experimental dance duo from Chicago)
 10/21: Plot to Blow Up the Eiffel Tower
 10/22-23: The 20 Buck Spin Festival
 10/22: Internal Void/Unorthodox/Wretched/Valkyrie
 10/23: Dragon Green/5ive/Rebreather/Beaten Back To Pure/Nitroseed/War Injun/The Wayward/Vog
 10/31: Karate (Southern Rec.)/Chris Brokaw (ex-Come/Codeine) (early show)
 10/31: Wolf Eyes (Sub Pop)/Rubber O Cement (late show)

Jaguär

« Reply #190 on: October 05, 2004, 01:28:00 am »
  10/19: Paik (Detroit space rock instrumental trio)/Lacoste (Fremch rap duo from LA)/Gemini (experimental dance duo from Chicago)

Can't wait to see Paik!
 Highly recommended!

ratioci nation

« Reply #191 on: October 05, 2004, 02:47:00 am »
what happened to Mirah on 10/12?

snailhook

« Reply #192 on: October 05, 2004, 03:04:00 am »
they decided to play the first unitarian church in philly instead of the warehouse. i'm bummed about it, since i really wanted to see mirah at the warehouse, but thems the breaks. hopefully next time.

parker & lily are supposed to be pretty good, but i opted to work camper van beethoven instead.

ratioci nation

« Reply #193 on: October 05, 2004, 08:43:00 am »
  they decided to play the first unitarian church in philly instead of the warehouse. i'm bummed about it, since i really wanted to see mirah at the warehouse, but thems the breaks. hopefully next time.

parker & lily are supposed to be pretty good, but i opted to work camper van beethoven instead.
that is too bad, I have seen parker and lily once, they were really awful in my opinion, they opened for cinerama at the Black Cat

snailhook

« Reply #194 on: October 05, 2004, 02:48:00 pm »
TONIGHT! OCTOBER 5th

part of the Warehouse Arts Festival
 1017-1021 7th St NW DC

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 in the next door space
 8:30 ? $7.00
 FROG EYES (Absolutly Kosher Records)
 PORTIONS TOLL
 MERIDETH BRAGG

in the cafe/theater
 7:00 ? FREE
 DAMON KRUKOWSKI (Galaxie 500, Damon & Naomi)

FROG EYES is Disjointed, Evasive, Haunting, Melodramatic, Dissonant, Anguished,
 Ominous and Highly Recommended. Carey Mercer is by far the most consistently
 interesting Canadian songwriter.

PORTIONS TOLL are the four-limbed pursuit of John M (Metropolitan) and Marc M
 (Plums). Employing a variety of instruments and a wealth of stimulants, PORTIONS
 TOLL play semi-improvised, super-sloppified noise-folk-rock. They are enamored
 of the work of Devendra Banhart, Animal Collective, American Analog Set, Tower
 Recordings, and Vincent Gallo, though they cannot be held legally responsible
 for their inability to sound like any of those.

MEREDITH BRAGG is like a beam of sunlight piercing through the clouds directly
 into my heart, filling me with love. Meredith himself is soothing me and ONLY ME
 with each of his songs. He's telling me that everything is going to be okay.
 Even though he is not finger-tapping, everything is going to be just fine.

DAMON KRUKOWSKI (Galaxie 500, Damon & Naomi) reads from his new book, The Memory
 Theater Burned.  Damon Krukowski is the co-founder and editor of Exact Change, a
 Surrealist press located in Boston. A founding member of Galaxie 500, he
 currently records with Naomi Yang as Damon and Naomi. He will read from his book
 of prose poetry, "The Memory Theater Burned." In these lines, Damon Krukowski
 often attempts to state the obvious. But truth is elusive, and Krukowski's poems
 also bear the record of the difficulties he encountered in its pursuit.

Co-sponsored by Olsson©?s Books and Records

Plus, excerpts from DON'T LET OUR YOUTH GO TO WASTE Galaxie 500: 1987 - 1991

DON'T LET OUR YOUTH GO TO WASTE is a comprehensive visual document spanning the
 history of GALAXIE 500. A compendium of all their music videos, a TV appearance,
 and an archive of over 40 songs performed live.