Author Topic: ONE HOUR BB SHOW  (Read 32589 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: ONE HOUR BB SHOW
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2004, 10:47:00 am »
if they had released "son of ill" they could have easily turned into a novelty act... with each record after the first they brought more of their punk roots and other influences into the sound.
T.Rex

thirsty moore

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2004, 10:53:00 am »
I didn't go to the Beastie Boys show, but I think the low ticket prices should be noted.  That could easily have been a $30+ show for one ticket.

nkotb

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2004, 10:55:00 am »
And despite what it may look like from the current state of hip hop, the Beasties were truly an innovative act back in the day.  They, along with some of their peers, really helped to get hip hop off the ground.  I dont' claim to be an expert as I'm white as the day is long, but they've received all sorts of accolades to this day from black rappers.  They're not as novelty as they appear.

Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  if they had released "son of ill" they could have easily turned into a novelty act... with each record after the first they brought more of their punk roots and other influences into the sound.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2004, 10:56:00 am »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  I didn't go to the Beastie Boys show, but I think the low ticket prices should be noted.  That could easily have been a $30+ show for one ticket.
$50, even. that is if they played for an hour and a half or so
o/\o

paige

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2004, 10:58:00 am »
how much did they cost? 20?

godsshoeshine

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2004, 10:59:00 am »
$15
o/\o

eltee

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2004, 11:03:00 am »
True. I'ver heard many bands voice praise to them (and Run DMC) for shaping hip hop and providing influence.
Originally posted by nkotbie:
  And despite what it may look like from the current state of hip hop, the Beasties were truly an innovative act back in the day.  They, along with some of their peers, really helped to get hip hop off the ground.  I dont' claim to be an expert as I'm white as the day is long, but they've received all sorts of accolades to this day from black rappers.  They're not as novelty as they appear.

[/b]

thirsty moore

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2004, 11:06:00 am »
They introduced me to Dolemite.

nkotb

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2004, 11:07:00 am »
They introduced me to elephant tranquilizers and cheeba.  Oh, and people shitting their pants over Tibet.

They introduced me to Dolemite.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2004, 11:10:00 am »
The combination of Run-DMC working with Aerosmith and Rick Rubin's production of Licensed to Ill surely brought rap into the mainstream.  LtI was a great record with block rockin' beats.  I totally admit that when "Paul's Boutique" came out all I wanted was to "Fight for my right to puke" and was disappointed with it.  But in retrospect PB was a influential record in terms of both hip-hop and trip-hop.  The Beastie's have always been able to find the most innovated people to work with thus making sure their records, up until the recent from the sounds of it, to be on the cutting edge.

Originally posted by nkotbie:

[/b]
T.Rex

Mobius

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2004, 11:12:00 am »
Scoffing at the Beastie Boys for being jewish is like scoffing at the Beatles for being British, and thinking rock is an American invention for Americans only.  Maybe you don't like the Beatles, but making that kind of statement about the Beastie Boys, and being oblivious to a pretty remarkable record of groundbreaking music, is really just retarded.

wilsonr4130

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2004, 11:19:00 am »
The show was mediocre- 45 min, by 11 the crowd was a bit short tempered- after waiting 2.5 hour everyone expectations were a little steep.  a definite disappointment.  only $15 so i can't complain too much- set list was like a "greatest hits" album.

eltee

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2004, 11:20:00 am »
They influenced me to my drink of choice back in the day, Brass Monkey.

loopzlp

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2004, 11:40:00 am »
For people at the show:
 Mix Master Mike was amazing -- what samples did people pick up that he threw into the mix?

mankie

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2004, 11:46:00 am »
Originally posted by Mobius:
  Scoffing at the Beastie Boys for being jewish is like scoffing at the Beatles for being British, and thinking rock is an American invention for Americans only.  Maybe you don't like the Beatles, but making that kind of statement about the Beastie Boys, and being oblivious to a pretty remarkable record of groundbreaking music, is really just retarded.
I didn't realize voicing an opinion was scoffing. I most humbly apologize for "scoffing" the Beastie Boys if that's what I did..

Did anyone else think I was 'scoffing" them?