Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2631082 times)

Christine Moritz

Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #1515 on: September 24, 2009, 04:11:11 pm »
Has anyone else seen that super awkward Ian/Kevin Shields interview on vice.tv? It was right after it was announced that MBV were finishing up the follow-up to Loveless.
Parts of that were excruciating.

I haven't seen it, but is it more awkward than the NPR/Sigur Ros interview?

;)

andyrichter

« Reply #1516 on: September 24, 2009, 06:41:53 pm »
I'm tempted to go see Chain and the Gang (Ian Svenonius' new band) w/ Soft Power (Mary Timony's new band) on Wednesday at The Black Cat.  Any thoughts on these bands?

did you end up going? i didnt think it was nails on a chalkboard (that's reserved for the strange boys) but it was interesting. i was entertained by ian's dancing  ;D

I went to last night's show.  Soft Power is fantastic.  They pack a hell of a punch live which I wasn't expecting based on the myspace songs they have up.  Didn't have any desire to see Chain and the Gang. 

Did Ian Mackaye dance as well and if so, was it entertaining?   :)

andyrichter

« Reply #1517 on: September 24, 2009, 06:43:53 pm »
The Strange Boys recently played Comet Ping Pong...opening for Mika Miko....

Speaking of bands that pack a hell of a punch live, Mika Miko was a roundhouse kick to the face.  They actually got a mosh pit going.  I liked Strange Boys.  Singers voice is not as grating as I thought it would be. 

nkotb

« Reply #1518 on: September 24, 2009, 07:17:42 pm »
Bummed I missed that Mika Miko show...never had a chance to see them.

The Strange Boys recently played Comet Ping Pong...opening for Mika Miko....

Speaking of bands that pack a hell of a punch live, Mika Miko was a roundhouse kick to the face.  They actually got a mosh pit going.  I liked Strange Boys.  Singers voice is not as grating as I thought it would be. 

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #1519 on: September 27, 2009, 04:47:55 am »
Saw Buffy Sainte-Marie tonight and she completely destroyed it! The whole time I kept thinking, "This woman is 73 years old!"...

Today (Sunday): Japandroids @ Mercury Lounge
Monday: Fever Ray @ Webster Hall
Tuesday: Yeah Yeah Yeahs @ Music Hall of W'Burg
Thursday: Polyphonic Spree with DJ Lord of Public Enemy @ Webster Hall
Friday: Pink with the Ting Tings @ TD Banknorth Garden (Boston)
Woof.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #1520 on: September 27, 2009, 12:26:17 pm »
I'm tempted to go see Chain and the Gang (Ian Svenonius' new band) w/ Soft Power (Mary Timony's new band) on Wednesday at The Black Cat.  Any thoughts on these bands?

did you end up going? i didnt think it was nails on a chalkboard (that's reserved for the strange boys) but it was interesting. i was entertained by ian's dancing  ;D

No - Between a crappy week at work and the reviews on here, I decided to skip it.

Cali

« Reply #1521 on: September 27, 2009, 03:35:07 pm »
bombay, you didnt miss anything lol

monday: pink
tuesday: u2

hutch

« Reply #1522 on: September 27, 2009, 06:55:56 pm »

Outer Body Llama
Chief Ike's
Wed.

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #1523 on: September 28, 2009, 06:55:09 am »
bombay, you didnt miss anything lol

monday: pink
tuesday: u2

Please let me know how Pink turns out to be...I'm not a huge fan of her new album, but I *do* love her voice.
Woof.

Cali

« Reply #1524 on: September 29, 2009, 01:46:58 am »
Please let me know how Pink turns out to be...I'm not a huge fan of her new album, but I *do* love her voice.

okay, i have the biggest girl crush on her. loved the show, hated the row of 13 yr olds behind me. when they werent screaming at the top of their lungs, they were talking loudly. wish i had purchased a tic for the NY & PA shows too.

anyhoo, she played for 2 hrs, no encore. had about 4 costume changes. i dont know how she does all that jumping around and manages to sound soo good. she did a few cover songs: bohemian rhapsody, a zeppelin song, crazy (the crowd seemed really confused with this one - they just stood there lol), and her intro sounded like an ac/dc song but i'm not sure. oh, she did a steamy version of "touch myself" too - good stuff. i was very entertained and cant wait for her to come back. i find it interesting that both her and britney had circus themed albums and tours. she didnt go up in the air too much but her dancers did. two of them did the routine that pink performed at the VMAs.

she did a good mix of songs from all albums. she sung the hell out of family portrait and i love dear mr. president. i was hoping to hear fingers but nope. i dont think the crowd was as energetic as it could've been, esp those on the floor. the people in the seats seemed more excited. maybe being monday had something to do with it? it was a very mixed crowd, was surprised to see so many older people.

ting tings were okay, not a band i'd pay to see but i really like that "not my name song" and the lead singer has a ton of energy. i think they played for 40 min? the between band entertainment (showing ppl dancing on the big screen) was funny. whoever chose the songs did a good job. folx really do put on a show for the cameras.

she really is a good singer/performer and doesnt get the recognition she deserves.

oh, some guy booed her after her dear mr president performance and she laughed lol
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 03:52:57 am by Cali »

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #1525 on: September 29, 2009, 02:22:48 am »
So scratch that Pink show in Boston, I might just be going to LA this weekend for the Thom Yorke shows. Fingers crossed for tickets in the AM...
Woof.

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #1526 on: September 29, 2009, 04:23:04 pm »
wed. andrew wk /caulder quartet
sat. daniel tosh ..

i think that's it?

i'll probably end up seeing 'whip it' this weekend sometime too ;x
nothx

Vas Deferens