Author Topic: once again the jokes write themselves...  (Read 193740 times)

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
Re: once again the jokes write themselves...
« Reply #135 on: September 03, 2008, 05:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:

Originally posted by They call me Doctor Doom.:

Originally posted by kosmo:
   life long moderate conservatives who routinely voted Republicans, like my dad, to potential vote for another candidate.

My dad voted for Bush twice and can't bring himself to vote Repug again... he's going for Obama.
  [/b]
it is at this point where a viable third party would be helpful.  while it was conceivable that i wouldn't vote for mccain (namely if he picked romney), there was no way in hell that i would ever vote for obama.  that leaves me with bob barr or whatever comes of this ron paul convention, and i simply disagree with them on a number of other issues.  in other words, the democratic party and obama is not a viable alternative for what i believe in.  now, i know vansmack will tell me that the republican party doesn't represent what i believe in either, which is a fair point, but i am simply not a democrat. [/b]
A third party will never win in this country, and therefore will only serve as a spoiler in elections.

The real answer is to infiltrate the Republican Party and take it back from the religious zealots.   Republicans once advocated an approach of small government, fiscal responsibility, and minimal international interventionism, and relative libertarianist instincts with regards to personal issues.  It is hard to imagine anything further from that than the modern Republicans.

The Democrats have their issues too, of course, but at least they are not dependent on a base of wild-eyed slackjaws.
_\|/_

Venerable Bede

« Reply #136 on: September 03, 2008, 05:44:00 pm »
 A third party will never win in this country, and therefore will only serve as a spoiler in elections.

The real answer is to infiltrate the Republican Party and take it back from the religious zealots.   Republicans once advocated an approach of small government, fiscal responsibility, and minimal international interventionism, and relative libertarianist instincts with regards to personal issues.  It is hard to imagine anything further from that than the modern Republicans.

The Democrats have their issues too, of course, but at least they are not dependent on a base of wild-eyed slackjaws. [/QB]
see, that's elitist and certainly doesn't help anyone.   :)

what's funny is that except for the interventionist part, i think that's predominately what mccain (and palin) stand for.  where we get all messed up is where they stand on social issues.  

but i do certainly agree with your characterization of the republican party of yore. . .although, the minimal interventionist policies (I take that to mean military) have gone out the window since that also aligns itself with economic protectionism, which i adamantly oppose (and is why i'm not a Libertarian, with a big L).  it was much easier to have limited involvement with the rest of the world when it took some time to cross those oceans.
OU812

Sage 703

« Reply #137 on: September 03, 2008, 05:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by Arthwys:

Originally posted by callat703:
  so I blog occasionally, and wrote a big thing on Palin, if anybody is curious to read it.
Excellent blog post, I quite agree with a great deal of it.  Extra points for being dispassionate and non-partisan in your analysis.   [/b]
Thanks!

• my blog
« Reply #138 on: September 03, 2008, 05:52:00 pm »

but at least they are not dependent on a base of wild-eyed slackjaws. [/b]
see, that's elitist and certainly doesn't help anyone.    :)  
 [/QB]
I actually don't think it's elitist, given that I think religious fanatics (what I call slackjaws) are a minority, just such a vocal and well-organized one that they are treated as a majority.

I think one of the biggest social problems facing our world today is ignorance-based religious fanaticism.   Whether that's Christian fundamentalism in the US, or the Taliban in Afghanistan.  They all feed off the same fears and have similar goals.
_\|/_

shemptiness

« Reply #140 on: September 03, 2008, 06:08:00 pm »
  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/03/peggy-noonan-mike-murphy_n_123647.html
Posted in the YouTube link above.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #141 on: September 03, 2008, 06:10:00 pm »
 I actually don't think it's elitist, given that I think religious fanatics (what I call slackjaws) are a minority, just such a vocal and well-organized one that they are treated as a majority. [/QB]
and, i'm not at all surprised by your response.
OU812

Arthwys

« Reply #142 on: September 03, 2008, 06:25:00 pm »

Originally posted by kosmo:
   life long moderate conservatives who routinely voted Republicans, like my dad, to potential vote for another candidate.

My dad voted for Bush twice and can't bring himself to vote Repug again... he's going for Obama.
  [/b]
it is at this point where a viable third party would be helpful.  while it was conceivable that i wouldn't vote for mccain (namely if he picked romney), there was no way in hell that i would ever vote for obama.  that leaves me with bob barr or whatever comes of this ron paul convention, and i simply disagree with them on a number of other issues.  in other words, the democratic party and obama is not a viable alternative for what i believe in.  now, i know vansmack will tell me that the republican party doesn't represent what i believe in either, which is a fair point, but i am simply not a democrat. [/b]

The Democrats have their issues too, of course, but at least they are not dependent on a base of wild-eyed slackjaws. [/b]
Funny thing is, taking back the Republican party from the evangelical neo-cons is precisely what Ron Paul was all about.  What he continues to be all about.  Unfortunately, Paul himself is
  not a good speaker, he handles interviews terribly, and he was too gung ho about emphasizing small government goals that were years if not decades away from being achievable.  Hence he came off looking like a loon.  

The Ron Paul phenomenon is part of why I'm more likely to vote 3rd party this year.  There's a sizable minority out there that can be tapped to start a bit of a political uprising and perhaps even form a political party that is more Republican in the old school sense.  Non-interventionist, limited government, fiscal responsibility, personal freedoms emphasized (which means gay marriage and abortion legal).  

Political parties do change in America, where has the Whig party gone for example?  Also, Prior to the 60's the south was known as the "solid south" and voted overwhelmingly Democrat.  Republican party was party of Lincoln and freeing of the slaves.  What turned the whole south red was LBJ and his "great society" reforms going horribly awry, together with his presiding over quite a lot of the desegregation and civil rights movements.  White southerners deserted the Dems in droves and that's how the Republicans got saddled with the crazy evangelicals.
Emrys

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #143 on: September 03, 2008, 08:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by manimtired:

it was that you libs are not "elated" by the choice of Palin but rather are a little nervous about it.  LoL
I was a little nervous about it at first, because I assumed McCain's people vetted her properly, and it seemed a clever pick.  And then all the details of her unsavory past and present started trickling out.  

Now I'm more nervous that McCain might ditch her quickly and pick someone qualified, in which case her cloud of scandals and inexperience will be long-forgotten by election day.

ps - Tina Fey = much hotter [/b]
unsavory past? weather underground associations, rev. wright, rezko, plagerism...ill take our tickets unsavory past over the dems ticket any day. [/b]
you are so concerned with unsavory pasts and associations and yet you voted for a president whose brother was involved in a collapsed savings and loan that cost the US taxpayers One Billion dollars to bail out.  the same savings and loan scandal that mccain was involved as part of the Keating Five.

and biden was cleared of those plagiarism charges.
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #144 on: September 03, 2008, 08:39:00 pm »
third parties need in part to develop at the grass roots level in order to make in roads into the political landscape.... however, given the way districts are drawn these days and the political machines created by both sides, the chances of a third party candidate winning a seat in the house of representative is slim to nil. the same applies to some extent to county politics, local school boards,etc... depressing actually...
T.Rex

manimtired

« Reply #145 on: September 03, 2008, 08:52:00 pm »
weather underground..would you like to speak on obamas relationship with ayers? or is that just blown out of proportion too?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #146 on: September 03, 2008, 09:33:00 pm »
  weather underground..would you like to speak on obamas relationship with ayers? or is that just blown out of proportion too?
is he still a member of the weather underground?
T.Rex

• my blog
« Reply #147 on: September 03, 2008, 09:42:00 pm »
Seems to me that there's a pretty big difference between someone who knows someone who was in the Weather Underground, decades ago, and someone who was, herself, a member of a secessionist group within recent memory.  

I can't wait until they dig up any writings or statements she may have made during her time with that group... that'll be interesting...

given her gun fetishism I bet she has ties to the militia movement as well...
_\|/_

manimtired

« Reply #148 on: September 03, 2008, 09:44:00 pm »
in 2001 on 9/11 he said "2004 interview, "How do you feel about what you did? Would you do it again under similar circumstances?" He replied Iā??ve thought about this a lot. Being almost 60, itā??s impossible to not have lots and lots of regrets about lots and lots of things, but the question of did we do something that was horrendous, awful? ... I donā??t think so. I think what we did was to respond to a situation that was unconscionable."...but ya, i guess he decided that was a bad org to be in as a college professor. so did he quit? did he denounce the actions of the WG?

manimtired

« Reply #149 on: September 03, 2008, 09:58:00 pm »
also...everyone tune into MSNBC (fox news is so bias!!!!!) to watch the response to palins speech.