Author Topic: grog & tankerd  (Read 23305 times)

manimtired

Re: grog & tankerd
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2003, 03:09:00 pm »
you said you lived around DC in alexandria and arlington...then moved to DC..and you think youre pretty neat for doing so. so ya.

jadetree

« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2003, 03:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by manimtired:
  you said you lived around DC in alexandria and arlington...then moved to DC..and you think youre pretty neat for doing so. so ya.
never said then, I lived in DC before ever living in DC suburbs

« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2003, 03:12:00 pm »
For a 50K salary, you'll pay about $800 more in local income taxes in DC than in VA. Is it $800 better to live in DC? Also, aren't the rents a bit cheaper in the burbs? And the parking a bit easier? And less beggars to deal with? And less sexually harassing Hispanics if you're a cute woman? And better grocery stores in the burbs?

Originally posted by Robert Pollard:

um, ya. are you one of those kids that moved to DC from the suburbs and cant get enough of it?
not really a kid, but I lived in both cities and suburbs before moving to DC, and I have lived in Rockville, Alexandria, Arlington and DC while here, DC being the best by far in my opinion [/b]

manimtired

« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2003, 03:12:00 pm »
i got ya, you threw me off with the "before moving to DC" part.

sueandnotu

« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2003, 03:13:00 pm »
Jeez, he was just stating a fact that he has lived in several cities and likes DC!  Is this a sin now?  I missed the part where he announced he was therefore better than anyone else.  I think I'm detecting "issues"....  

Calm down, manimtired!  Take a nap!

« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2003, 03:14:00 pm »
Go down South. People in general are much friendlier and apt to talk to strangers....unlike DC.

Originally posted by mankie:
  New York is my favorite US city...New Yorkers are great...it's the only city I've been to stateside that you can have a normal conversation with a total stranger in a coffee shop, bar, on the street etc. Try that in DC..they're either too important to talk to you, or to scared to talk to you.

markie

« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2003, 03:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:
   only city I've been to stateside that you can have a normal conversation with a total stranger  
Yes, I find that rarely happens to me here either.....

San Francisco on the other hand was full of people willing to chat the day away, even more so than NY.

Oh and Manchester is one on Britains most violent and ugly cities. Would you really recommend anyone go on holiday to Manchester? London and Edinburgh are much better places to visit. Edinburgh is a great place to live.

manimtired

« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2003, 03:15:00 pm »
just bored at work..

jadetree

« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2003, 03:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  For a 50K salary, you'll pay about $800 more in local income taxes in DC than in VA. Is it $800 better to live in DC? Also, aren't the rents a bit cheaper in the burbs? And the parking a bit easier? And less beggars to deal with? And less sexually harassing Hispanics if you're a cute woman? And better grocery stores in the burbs?

I am aware of all these arguments but for me it is worth it.  And it must have been somewhat to you for some reason or you would not have lived in the city until now, even if you want to move.

paige

« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2003, 03:17:00 pm »
back and forth, back and forth...

just agree to disagree and retreat to your respective counties.
 i myself am an arlingtonian. within virginia i feel some major atown pride, but i love love love dc so much. therefore, it cannot hold a candle to dc

raebyddet

« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2003, 03:20:00 pm »

The amount of money I save by not having a car more than makes up for the higher taxes and rent. And yes I know you can get around in the burbs without a car, but its a whole lot easier in the city. Try living in NOVA and getting to some places by bus on a Sunday, all I can say is good luck.

As far as rent goes the rental market in DC has improved significantly in the last year. Its still not a renters market but its a lot better than it was a yeat ago.

I don't have a car so I don't park and I'm not a cute girl either so I don't deal with those issues.

As far as beggars go, depends on where you live in the city.

« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2003, 03:21:00 pm »
Yes, there were a number of compelling reasons for me to move into DC proper when I was a 31 year old single guy. I think the city is a much better place to be than the burbs if you're a single person,  someone whose activities revolve around city-culture activities, or someone who is not at the point where saving money is a major issue. Five years later, my priorities and intereests have changed.

Originally posted by Robert Pollard:

I am aware of all these arguments but for me it is worth it.  And it must have been somewhat to you for some reason or you would not have lived in the city until now, even if you want to move. [/b]

sueandnotu

« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2003, 03:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by paige:
  back and forth, back and forth...

just agree to disagree and retreat to your respective counties.
 i myself am an arlingtonian. within virginia i feel some major atown pride, but i love love love dc so much. therefore, it cannot hold a candle to dc
Paige, the voice of reason

paige

« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2003, 03:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by SueAndNotU:
 Paige, the voice of reason
;)

Bags

« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2003, 03:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by redsock:
  I know a decent band who played the G+T. I think it is a fine aplce to quite literally get some gigs under your belt. The DC scene is weird, with the big venues like 930, BC, or even Velvet Lounge tough to get in, you gotta be willing to play anywhere. Places like Staccato, Felix, Chief Ike's, Rhodeside Grill in arlington, are a step up, i think...but whatever, get known, get a following, get people to talk abouth you on the 930 board, who cares where you play, as long as someone is there to listen, all it takes is the ability to inspire one person...

Calling the G+T crappy just cause of the normal clientel is reserved for those of us with no musical talent. If youare a  musician who wants to make it, no place is too crappy.
I agree, get your feet wet there.  And so what, bring all your friends.  It's a gig, there will be a few people there who don't know you, and it's one way to start getting your name known around town.  It's like those temp jobs you get out of college -- not very glamoruous, but more resume filler!

I have friends who played there all the time, but that was 12 years ago, which means I was 12 years younger as well.  At 23, the place seemed cool as hell to me.  (There was no Black Cat, no Velvet Lounge -- but there was DC Space and 15 Minutes!).  Play where you can, and set your sights onto the next bigger place.  That may mean the 'burbs, which is *also* okay!  

;)