Author Topic: grog & tankerd  (Read 23301 times)

Re: grog & tankerd
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2003, 03:27:00 pm »
I couldn't imagine life without a car. No mountains, no beach, no road trips to Baltimore, no road trips to visit friends and family, etc etc etc.  

I don't see NOT having a car as any sort of asset.

[/qb][/QUOTE]The amount of money I save by not having a car more than makes up for the higher taxes and rent. And yes I know you can get around in the burbs without a car, but its a whole lot easier in the city. Try living in NOVA and getting to some places by bus on a Sunday, all I can say is good luck.

As far as rent goes the rental market in DC has improved significantly in the last year. Its still not a renters market but its a lot better than it was a yeat ago.

I don't have a car so I don't park and I'm not a cute girl either so I don't deal with those issues.

As far as beggars go, depends on where you live in the city. [/QB][/QUOTE]

sueandnotu

« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2003, 03:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  I couldn't imagine life without a car. No mountains, no beach, no road trips to Baltimore, no road trips to visit friends and family, etc etc etc.  

The amount of money I save by not having a car more than makes up for the higher taxes and rent. And yes I know you can get around in the burbs without a car, but its a whole lot easier in the city. Try living in NOVA and getting to some places by bus on a Sunday, all I can say is good luck.

As far as rent goes the rental market in DC has improved significantly in the last year. Its still not a renters market but its a lot better than it was a yeat ago.

I don't have a car so I don't park and I'm not a cute girl either so I don't deal with those issues.

As far as beggars go, depends on where you live in the city. [/QB][/QUOTE] [/QB][/QUOTE]

See, that's what *friends* with cars are for!  I'm carless too, and while grocery trips are a pain in the arse, a car payment would probably cut into my booze money, and we can't be having that.

raebyddet

« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2003, 03:34:00 pm »

I do have friends that have cars. So there are opportunities to go places. However any friends and family that are not accessible by public transportation are too far to get to via car anyway. Besides if I wanted to I can rent a car once a month and go somewhere. It would still be cheaper than owning a car that I would drive no more than every few weeks.

« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2003, 03:41:00 pm »
I guess it depends on how often you go places. In the summer, we go somewhere out of town nearly every weekend. When we drive to my relatives in SC and NY, we tend to want to use those places as launching pads to excursion that may require more driving.

Also, the Safeway in Adams Morgan is so bad one needs to drive elsewhere to get to a good grocery store.

Besides, even with the crappy parking situation, your cart is a lot closer to you than a car rental place, I would think.

Originally posted by raebyddet:

I do have friends that have cars. So there are opportunities to go places. However any friends and family that are not accessible by public transportation are too far to get to via car anyway. Besides if I wanted to I can rent a car once a month and go somewhere. It would still be cheaper than owning a car that I would drive no more than every few weeks. [/b]

Celeste

« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2003, 03:49:00 pm »

oh Rhett, you're so auto-centric...

I'm glad YOU have a car, but it was cool not having one when I was on my own...

as far as this big city mouse/suburb mouse debate, all I did was teasingly call mankie "my suburban friend" when we was babbling about some motorcylces in Glover Park that I never remembered seeing...so, sorry it started all this!

raebyddet

« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2003, 03:51:00 pm »
  I guess it depends on how often you go places.
I agree. And for me it just comes down to the fact that I don't want the hassle of owning a vehicle.

« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2003, 03:58:00 pm »
I think we're all aware of the pros and cons of living in the suburbs vs. living in the city. Ultimately, we choose what is best for us individually. Guess we should try to refrain for putting down somebody for being different and having different priorities than ourselves. Otherwise, we ened up sounding like dumbasses.

Celeste

« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2003, 03:59:00 pm »
or ignoranuses

« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2003, 04:00:00 pm »
or car salesmen

ggw

« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2003, 04:01:00 pm »
 Guess we should try to refrain for putting down somebody for being different and having different priorities than ourselves.
You mean shut down this board?

« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2003, 04:03:00 pm »
oh yeah, i forgot. that's where self-esteem is derived from....from thinking you're better than others...duh what was i thiking

raebyddet

« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2003, 04:04:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

Guess we should try to refrain for putting down somebody for being different and having different priorities than ourselves.
You mean shut down this board? [/b]
I had the same thought.

ggw

« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2003, 04:05:00 pm »
  oh yeah, i forgot. that's where self-esteem is derived from....from thinking you're better than others...duh what was i thiking
Thinking you're better than others is not sufficient.  You must let others know that you are better than them.

chknfngrs

« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2003, 04:39:00 pm »
yeah but what if I wanted to live at the grog and tankard? that's cool right? Fresh Fields across the street...I could ask for a ride on the motorcycle if I needed a ride...there's running water in the alley behind it..

paige

« Reply #89 on: July 23, 2003, 05:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by chknfngrs:
  yeah but what if I wanted to live at the grog and tankard? that's cool right? Fresh Fields across the street...I could ask for a ride on the motorcycle if I needed a ride...there's running water in the alley behind it..
and there is a badass indian restaurant right next door! within walking distance! woo! non-car owners:1.  car owners: 0