Author Topic: Wilco presale  (Read 39209 times)

gaaaaaaaaah

Re: Wilco presale
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2009, 12:47:23 am »
Well, I'll be driving to the show, so the selfish fan in me just wants them to play as long as the venue allows. 

hemisphire

« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2009, 10:45:38 am »
Wolf Trap does have an 11PM curfew.

nkotb

« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2009, 02:36:02 pm »
Never been to Wolf Trap, so I'm looking for some suggestions.  What is the usual start time...is 8PM the start of the show?

Also, since my daily commuter is 4 miles round trip, what's the best bet to get up there? Google Maps is sending me either VA-267 W, Leesburg Pike/VA-7 or 495.

Finally, anyone need a spare?  I think my wife is working late, so I'm solo.  On the plus side, you get to site under the pavilion at a decent seat.  Con: you have to sit next to me.

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2009, 02:39:42 pm »
I called Wolf Trap earlier.

Show starts at 8.  Gates open at 6:30.  Pavilion seats open at 7:30.

shemptiness

« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2009, 03:08:05 pm »
I called Wolf Trap earlier.

Show starts at 8.  Gates open at 6:30.  Pavilion seats open at 7:30.

With an 11PM curfew the show is sure to start right at 8.

hemisphire

« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2009, 03:16:01 pm »
For nkotb:
I'd recommend that you come by Leesburg Pike, since that puts you in the parking lot across the street.  You can get a free ride up in a golf cart, and it's easier to get out of post-show.

nkotb

« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2009, 09:33:21 am »
Well, I can't say last night was enjoyable.  I don't know if I'm too curmudgeonly in my old age, but I think I may be done with live Wilco.  It's not really their fault; I think this line-up is the strongest they've been in my short time digging them.  I guess I'm just done with the set lists they play...I'm not sure how many more times I can hear Heavy Metal Drummer, and the ensuing roar from the crowd.  I realize it's ok to get into a band after they get big (hell, I didn't give them a chance until Yankee Hotel Foxtrot), but really?  They play this song every damn show.  Wouldn't you want to hear something a little less...all the time?

My big problem, though, was Wolf Trap.  Don't get me wrong, the venue is beautiful, it was easy to get to, and I certainly enjoyed the fact that you can bring booze in (thanks again, brennser!).  Still, things got off to a really rough start:

1. Parking: So the place was apeshit by the time I got there (my fault, I can admit).  I asked a cop for an idea of where to park, and he just shrugged.  I ended up parking on the side of the road about a mile from the gates.  Not that big of a deal, in the grand scheme of things, but it didn't get me too psyched.

2. Guards: I had an extra ticket I wanted to get rid of, so I walked up to the gate to try to sell it to someone.  The first guy I encountered looking for a ticket was quickly stolen away by another guy selling...no biggie.  I finally saw a group of kids looking dejected and even though it was just one ticket, I offered it to them for face, taking a hit on the fees.  A guard promptly told me it was illegal to sell tickets and that I'd be arrested.  "Oh, I was only trying to get the ticket price" I responded.  I was then told that I'd be thrown in jail if I sold it.  "Even at the exact cost of the ticket price?"  "There are 50 guards watching, waiting to arrest you if you sell that ticket."  I just gave the kids my extra, although then the guard made the other two get off the property for not having a ticket.

Look, I'm cool if the rule is no selling on federal land.  My bad, I didn't realize that.  But just fucking talk to someone like they're a human being.  I asked a question because I didn't know.  It's not my fault your bad life decisions force you to stand guard at a national park wearing a Ranger Smith get-up...you don't have to be a fucking bitch about it.  Plus, if it's a national park, and you know, "we all own it," why not let those kids hang out?

3. Ushers: So I was in a pretty bad mood, even after the beer brennser gave me, and was starting to feel a little better because the usher that showed me my seat was so nice.  Then, 10 minutes into the show, I get tapped on the shoulder by a guard demanding my camera.  "I don't have a camera on me."  "Then what was that light I saw?"  "My cellphone?"  "Ok...but I'm watching you."  This was then followed by almost everyone around me taking flash photography.  But the final straw was a guard tapping me later on and asking what I was smoking.  Well, it was nothing, and to the best of my knowledge, I didn't even see a lit cigarette in my section.

By this time, I was so soured I couldn't break my funk.  I know, it's my fault for not letting it go, but it pretty much spoiled the rest of the night for me.  I don't want to get all Thousand Made-Up Loves and whatnot, but I don't think I'd ever go to Wolf Trap again.  Oh, and there was shitty traffic in Alexandria on 495 that caused me to get home about 40 minutes after I should have.  I blame Wolf Trap for that too.

Now, before sweetcell or someone else gets all "here's the logical list of why this is the best venue," I realize that it was seemingly my bad luck that caused all of that.  Still, fuck that place.

Did I miss anything good after Heavy Metal Drummer?

K8teebug

« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2009, 09:52:35 am »
I cannot even imagine how horrible it is to go there when it's sold out.  Sorry the ushers and the guards were dicks.

I think I was done with Wilco live a few years ago after seeing them at Merriweather.  They're good and all, but I don't need to see them more than the 4 times I saw them....

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2009, 10:12:25 am »
ugh, sounds sucky.  makes me a little less interested in checking out the venue.  rude and annoying trumps pretty.

Well, I can't say last night was enjoyable.  I don't know if I'm too curmudgeonly in my old age, but I think I may be done with live Wilco.  It's not really their fault; I think this line-up is the strongest they've been in my short time digging them.  I guess I'm just done with the set lists they play...I'm not sure how many more times I can hear Heavy Metal Drummer, and the ensuing roar from the crowd.  I realize it's ok to get into a band after they get big (hell, I didn't give them a chance until Yankee Hotel Foxtrot), but really?  They play this song every damn show.  Wouldn't you want to hear something a little less...all the time?

yo're the victim of bad luck... they've played HMD at less than half the shows this tour. 

Now, before sweetcell or someone else gets all "here's the logical list of why this is the best venue,"

:D

i've never been to WT so i can't comment.  you're not the first to point out how douchy the staff there can be, so you're on to something.  it's sad that such a beautiful venue is ruined by its employees (vs. other venues, like the 930, which are made better by their employees).
<sig>

Darth Ed

« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2009, 10:35:51 am »
Thanks, nkotb, for making me feel better for skipping this concert. I'm a big Wilco fan, but I've seen them 8 times in the past 5 years. I skipped their previous show in the area at the Lyric Opera House and I skipped this one too. I'm kind of taking a break from Wilco. Their set lists were getting stale. I completely agree with you on "Heavy Metal Drummer" too.

That said, with the new album, I probably would have broken down and gone to this show if it had been at Merriweather or the 9:30 Club instead of Wolf Trap. Like you said, Wolf Trap is a beautiful venue, but, in my experience, parking there is incredibly annoying unless you get their really early and then getting out of there after the show is time consuming. It's not as bad as Nissan, but it's still aggravating.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 10:51:51 am by Darth Ed »

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2009, 10:37:57 am »
My incredibly brief thoughts:

Good show, not so great setlist.

Good venue, shitty parking lot.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2009, 10:49:45 am »
Well, I can't say last night was enjoyable.  I don't know if I'm too curmudgeonly in my old age, but I think I may be done with live Wilco.  It's not really their fault; I think this line-up is the strongest they've been in my short time digging them.  I guess I'm just done with the set lists they play...I'm not sure how many more times I can hear Heavy Metal Drummer, and the ensuing roar from the crowd.  I realize it's ok to get into a band after they get big (hell, I didn't give them a chance until Yankee Hotel Foxtrot), but really?  They play this song every damn show.  Wouldn't you want to hear something a little less...all the time?

My big problem, though, was Wolf Trap.  Don't get me wrong, the venue is beautiful, it was easy to get to, and I certainly enjoyed the fact that you can bring booze in (thanks again, brennser!).  Still, things got off to a really rough start:

1. Parking: So the place was apeshit by the time I got there (my fault, I can admit).  I asked a cop for an idea of where to park, and he just shrugged.  I ended up parking on the side of the road about a mile from the gates.  Not that big of a deal, in the grand scheme of things, but it didn't get me too psyched.

2. Guards: I had an extra ticket I wanted to get rid of, so I walked up to the gate to try to sell it to someone.  The first guy I encountered looking for a ticket was quickly stolen away by another guy selling...no biggie.  I finally saw a group of kids looking dejected and even though it was just one ticket, I offered it to them for face, taking a hit on the fees.  A guard promptly told me it was illegal to sell tickets and that I'd be arrested.  "Oh, I was only trying to get the ticket price" I responded.  I was then told that I'd be thrown in jail if I sold it.  "Even at the exact cost of the ticket price?"  "There are 50 guards watching, waiting to arrest you if you sell that ticket."  I just gave the kids my extra, although then the guard made the other two get off the property for not having a ticket.

Look, I'm cool if the rule is no selling on federal land.  My bad, I didn't realize that.  But just fucking talk to someone like they're a human being.  I asked a question because I didn't know.  It's not my fault your bad life decisions force you to stand guard at a national park wearing a Ranger Smith get-up...you don't have to be a fucking bitch about it.  Plus, if it's a national park, and you know, "we all own it," why not let those kids hang out?

3. Ushers: So I was in a pretty bad mood, even after the beer brennser gave me, and was starting to feel a little better because the usher that showed me my seat was so nice.  Then, 10 minutes into the show, I get tapped on the shoulder by a guard demanding my camera.  "I don't have a camera on me."  "Then what was that light I saw?"  "My cellphone?"  "Ok...but I'm watching you."  This was then followed by almost everyone around me taking flash photography.  But the final straw was a guard tapping me later on and asking what I was smoking.  Well, it was nothing, and to the best of my knowledge, I didn't even see a lit cigarette in my section.

By this time, I was so soured I couldn't break my funk.  I know, it's my fault for not letting it go, but it pretty much spoiled the rest of the night for me.  I don't want to get all Thousand Made-Up Loves and whatnot, but I don't think I'd ever go to Wolf Trap again.  Oh, and there was shitty traffic in Alexandria on 495 that caused me to get home about 40 minutes after I should have.  I blame Wolf Trap for that too.

Now, before sweetcell or someone else gets all "here's the logical list of why this is the best venue," I realize that it was seemingly my bad luck that caused all of that.  Still, fuck that place.

Did I miss anything good after Heavy Metal Drummer?
youre too curmudgeonly
o/\o

nkotb

« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2009, 10:59:03 am »
Stay off my lawn!

youre too curmudgeonly

hutch

« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2009, 11:00:24 am »
Man some people are impossible to please!

NKOTB I wouldn't say you come off as curmudgeonly more like an asshole mixed with idiot!

This was my third time seeing Wilco. I think I also saw Tweedy at the club once... First time I saw Wilco was 99 front row (excellent)..second time was Recher a year or two after...

This is the definitely the tightest they have ever sounded.....I happen to prefer the more ragged rock and rollsy 1999 version but thats just me..

Its the classic hipster whine "Oh no they are playing the songs everyone else wants to hear but I'm so cool I already heard them so play something else...".. AND THEY PLAYED FIVE SONGS FROM THE NEW ALBUM THAT THEY HAVE NEVER PLAYED in DC.. Maybe you were already driving home or too busy getting into  fights with VOLUNTEER ushers???

It was a good setlist.. No doubt without the curfew they would have played 6 more songs and maybe NKOTB would have been happy.. oh no wait he would have left to start typing his bitch post on the 930 forum.

I don't see how anyone can have a problem with WOlftrap.. they offer public transportation... they let you bring your food and everything..its a gorgeous national park..the acoustics are great.. I mean shit man.. guess you'll just have to go to Nissan for a good time! oh yah and you could get 10th row center tickets for $38 (Oh yah  they also minimize ticket fees/dont' charge for parking/facility fee/etc).... geez sounds rough man..

« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 11:02:22 am by hutch »

nkotb

« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2009, 11:07:22 am »
Hutch, in my defense, I only typed up my message this morning.  Also, I didn't fight with anyone...I was polite, obeyed the rules (once they were explained to me through the threat of jail time).  In fact, I didn't say anything remotely curt or snarky to anyone; I'm too nice.  So obviously your entire post is null and void.  Also, eat it.

I know it's tough when someone wasn't absolutely in love with something you were obviously creaming your pants over, but it's all opinion, man.  In fact, I think I pointed out that 1) I was to blame for my funk, 2) that the band's current lineup is incredibly strong, and 3) that I'm as much of a new fan as the next guy.

Man some people are impossible to please!

NKOTB I wouldn't say you come off as curmudgeonly more like an asshole mixed with idiot!

This was my third time seeing Wilco. I think I also saw Tweedy at the club once... First time I saw Wilco was 99 front row (excellent)..second time was Recher a year or two after...

This is the definitely the tightest they have ever sounded.....I happen to prefer the more ragged rock and rollsy 1999 version but thats just me..

Its the classic hipster whine "Oh no they are playing the songs everyone else wants to hear but I'm so cool I already heard them so play something else...".. AND THEY PLAYED FIVE SONGS FROM THE NEW ALBUM THAT THEY HAVE NEVER PLAYED in DC. MORON. Maybe you were already driving home or too busy getting into  fights with VOLUNTEER ushers???

It was a good setlist.. No doubt without the curfew they would have played 6 more songs and maybe NKOTB would have been happy.. oh no wait he would have left to start typing his bitch post on the 930 forum.

I don't see how anyone can have a problem with WOlftrap.. they offer public transportation... they let you bring your food and everything..its a gorgeous national park..the acoustics are great.. I mean shit man.. guess you'll just have to go to Nissan for a good time! oh yah and you could get 10th row center tickets for $38 (Oh yah  they also minimize ticket fees/dont' charge for parking/facility fee/etc).... geez sounds rough man..