Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1295143 times)

Vas Deferens

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #4740 on: November 21, 2022, 03:47:06 pm »
Bartees was very good opening for Lucy Dacus earlier this year at 930 (edit: actually it was a year ago!)

I skipped because i know an early show at 930 would mean a shorter set - looks like 3 songs were not played (no encore) if this setlist is correct:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bartees-strange/2022/930-club-washington-dc-bbf9156.html

« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 03:48:58 pm by Vas Deferens »
(_|_)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4741 on: November 21, 2022, 04:05:04 pm »
There was no encore and I just thought at the time he was one of those non encore artists, and it looks like he doesn't always do an encore.. beside one of his encore songs is another The National cover so I wouldn't have felt like I missed out on anything...

i ended up sliding along the balcony and was sitting along side the stage and there was a laptop next to the stage with a countdown timer of exactly 1:15 minutes that was started right as the hit the stage
T.Rex

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #4742 on: November 25, 2022, 08:13:31 pm »
I mean, wutthafuggahyagonnado?

Space Freely

« Reply #4743 on: November 26, 2022, 07:01:20 pm »
Bartees was very good opening for Lucy Dacus earlier this year at 930 (edit: actually it was a year ago!)

I skipped because i know an early show at 930 would mean a shorter set - looks like 3 songs were not played (no encore) if this setlist is correct:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bartees-strange/2022/930-club-washington-dc-bbf9156.html

He is now headlining the NPR show at the club Monday night.

Space Freely

« Reply #4744 on: November 27, 2022, 06:15:24 pm »
Saw Cimafunk at Millennium Stage last night. For some reason the show was moved to the Terrace Theater. Great energy, highly recommended if you like that Afro-Cuban music vibe. My daughter loved it so much she said she wishes she were seeing more live music tonight. My wife fell asleep in her seat. She said every song sounded the same (what I say about Taylor Swift.)  I'm with my daughter on this one. A- show.

They 're nominated for a Grammy for Best Latin Rock or Alternative Album, so I guess that's another stellar Latino rock show for me. Might be my last show of 2022.

They're playing the Club with Bartees Strange and a couple others Monday night.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 06:19:43 pm by Space Freely »

Bagley

« Reply #4745 on: December 05, 2022, 02:59:59 pm »
Dino/GBV/Mirman- NYC -Teriminal 5 12/3/22

Fun time!

Found our old friend Challenged at the merch stand.  He's doing well.  That was his 96th show of the year.

« Reply #4746 on: December 05, 2022, 03:07:50 pm »
Found our old friend Challenged at the merch stand.
SHOCKING! that is soo not on brand for him
He's doing well.  That was his 96th show of the year.
nice, talked to him in Oct and he didn't think he'd make it, now seems like he'll crush it
slack

Vas Deferens

« Reply #4747 on: December 05, 2022, 03:08:33 pm »
He's slacking on those shows....

Dino/GBV/Mirman- NYC -Teriminal 5 12/3/22

Fun time!

Found our old friend Challenged at the merch stand.  He's doing well.  That was his 96th show of the year.
(_|_)

« Reply #4748 on: December 05, 2022, 03:16:14 pm »
He's slacking on those shows....
you are the only one in his league
slack

Yada

« Reply #4749 on: December 05, 2022, 03:30:44 pm »
reptilia rehab has done that man well... he has more energy and vigor for life than my children.

« Reply #4750 on: December 09, 2022, 02:02:39 pm »
RA - maybe, probably not... last time I saw him at Strathmore I nearly fell alseep... Not sure I can handle his banter for 3 + hrs, but still tempted
I'm assuming you are talking about the 2012 show?  Didn't know Jason Isbel came out with him for a 3 show encore, that's cool
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/ryan-adams/2012/the-music-center-at-strathmore-north-bethesda-md-bd149d6.html

Few things about last night's show
1. the seats on the upper tier are really far away and hoestly I get a little vertigo sitting up there.  I had row A, but man if I didn't feel a little edgy walking along to get to my seat
2. damn is that a beautiful venue and the sound is just amazing.  It was just him on an acoustic guitar and paino sometimes, but IMO it was just flawless sound
3. 35 songs...no encore https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/ryan-adams/2022/the-music-center-at-strathmore-north-bethesda-md-43bf5b63.html  One thing that is somewhat nice about RA now is he's finally 'playing the hits'  I've seen him so many times over the years and he would just give you 4 of 5 songs from the Whiskeytown->Gold era and tonight we got 14 of em .  I do like a lot of the cardinals era, but since there was no band, the only ones we got were from Jacksonville City Nights.  He only played 5 songs off the 5 albums he released in the last decade that I've really never listened to. The tracks from A&F, Demolition,ET and LIH were my faves of those albums, so happy with those picks as well
4. Banter wasn't too bad.  But some fun interactions with the crowds and rambling stories.  I enjoy the banter.  Although I think he is a humbler person now (not total reformation)
5. Covers were good, but nothing to write home about ( I did see he did Summer of '69 in cinci!)

slack

Yada

« Reply #4751 on: December 09, 2022, 02:05:25 pm »
RA - maybe, probably not... last time I saw him at Strathmore I nearly fell alseep... Not sure I can handle his banter for 3 + hrs, but still tempted
I'm assuming you are talking about the 2012 show?  Didn't know Jason Isbel came out with him for a 3 show encore, that's cool
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/ryan-adams/2012/the-music-center-at-strathmore-north-bethesda-md-bd149d6.html

Few things about last night's show
1. the seats on the upper tier are really far away and hoestly I get a little vertigo sitting up there.  I had row A, but man if I didn't feel a little edgy walking along to get to my seat
2. damn is that a beautiful venue and the sound is just amazing.  It was just him on an acoustic guitar and paino sometimes, but IMO it was just flawless sound
3. 35 songs...no encore https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/ryan-adams/2022/the-music-center-at-strathmore-north-bethesda-md-43bf5b63.html  One thing that is somewhat nice about RA now is he's finally 'playing the hits'  I've seen him so many times over the years and he would just give you 4 of 5 songs from the Whiskeytown->Gold era and tonight we got 14 of em .  I do like a lot of the cardinals era, but since there was no band, the only ones we got were from Jacksonville City Nights.  He only played 5 songs off the 5 albums he released in the last decade that I've really never listened to. The tracks from A&F, Demolition,ET and LIH were my faves of those albums, so happy with those picks as well
4. Banter wasn't too bad.  But some fun interactions with the crowds and rambling stories.  I enjoy the banter.  Although I think he is a humbler person now (not total reformation)
5. Covers were good, but nothing to write home about ( I did see he did Summer of '69 in cinci!)

Yeah... 2012... was kind of the beginning of the end of my fandom of RA with the dagger finally being 9/8/14 (I remember this because it was my birthday).

Still love a few of those early albums up until the Cardinals and did consider shooting over last minute last night but saw 35 songs on these setlists and knew/liked about 10 of them.

Did he do his weird muppet voice that he's been doing for 20+ years?

« Reply #4752 on: December 09, 2022, 02:13:07 pm »
Did he do his weird muppet voice that he's been doing for 20+ years?
unfortunately yes

the dagger finally being 9/8/14 (I remember this because it was my birthday).
yeah that show left a bad taste in my mouth too...and zero songs pre Cold roses.  I thought that was very lame
He was still in his very bratty phase at that point too, eventhough it was post his Ménière's issue
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 02:19:22 pm by SideTerminate ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

bearman🐻

« Reply #4753 on: December 12, 2022, 10:19:28 am »
Anyone else catch the Big Star tribute show last week? Upon reflection, that was one of the best concerts I've ever seen. I can't stop thinking about it. What made it so special? I felt like every musician on that stage bared their soul at some point through singing, guitar solos, etc. It's the kind of music that transcends time and takes you someplace else. It was a religious experience...the kind of show that stays with you for a while and makes you look differently at life. Plus, I've never seen Mike Mills look so happy on a stage. I'm not sure they'll be doing more of them (Mike says not for a while), but if any more shows happen, I'm getting on a plane to see them.

Space Freely

« Reply #4754 on: December 12, 2022, 11:09:35 am »
Anyone else catch the Big Star tribute show last week? Upon reflection, that was one of the best concerts I've ever seen. I can't stop thinking about it. What made it so special? I felt like every musician on that stage bared their soul at some point through singing, guitar solos, etc. It's the kind of music that transcends time and takes you someplace else. It was a religious experience...the kind of show that stays with you for a while and makes you look differently at life. Plus, I've never seen Mike Mills look so happy on a stage. I'm not sure they'll be doing more of them (Mike says not for a while), but if any more shows happen, I'm getting on a plane to see them.

I heard about this show, but only after the fact. What was the venue and what other musicians played?