Author Topic: The Home Improvement Thread  (Read 53099 times)

Re: The Home Improvement Thread
« Reply #315 on: May 14, 2021, 12:22:40 pm »
FYI..rates seem to be coming down again
if you haven't done the refi yet, you may be able to get in the 2.625-2.75% range now!

Hutch...ahem, starsky.... we are happy with our current rate which we didn’t even have to refinance to get..
I forgot you had some weird option from your current lender to just drop the rate
so unless rates go way lower, going to be hard to imagine doing any better than you have
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 12:25:45 pm by Bamboo-Hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Starsky

« Reply #316 on: May 14, 2021, 01:03:55 pm »
Once again operators are standing by please call

1 800 sidefi

The number is

1 800 sidefi

Space Freely

« Reply #317 on: May 14, 2021, 01:49:29 pm »
We decided to be lazy and hire "professionals" to power wash and paint our deck.

We hired a company in the Fall to do it. They never got the job done. A series of bad weather days and workers having their relatives die. We ended up giving up as it got too cold.

So we hired someone else in the Spring. After a round of bad weather, they were supposed to come on Tuesday, but had to postpone because  "the project manager got fired." So they sent two guys over yesterday and did the power washing and said they'd be back between 8 and 8:30 today to do the painting.

So 9:30 rolls around and nobody has shown up or called, so i email them. Apparently, when they went to pick up the base and the paint this morning, the paint store didn't have the base, though they got the paint. So they're running around store to store to get the base, and as far as i know, still don't have it.

The base is something generic and not specific to this job. Wouldn't it make sense to always have it on hand?

So lunchtime rolls around, and I go on a run. And the company owner FINALLY calls. And when he hears my wife's voice, he promptly hangs up. And she redialed him and LET HIM HAVE IT. I wish i had been there to hear it.

Anyway, I'm learning maybe it's better to just do the low level grunt work yourself.

« Reply #318 on: May 14, 2021, 01:49:42 pm »
actually we dropped the 1800 number and are only accepting applications via the 930 forum Messaging
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #319 on: May 20, 2021, 05:59:02 pm »

evilizac

« Reply #320 on: May 20, 2021, 07:57:24 pm »
   To go back to the topic at the top of the thread. . . Has any boardies gotten a shed over the past year?
I'm interested and don't know how much I should be paying, especially with materials prices being jacked due to supply chain hinderances.
I'm looking for something between 140-150 sq. ft. and am trying to figure out if it's worth hiring someone to build from scratch. I'm trying to make the building play double duty of storage and possible place to escape to and either workout or work on songwriting/guitar practice (I do a lot of yelling and swearing as part of my process, my wife is not a fan).
   I would figure either way I'd hire someone to assemble any pre-cut shed kit so cost savings of the kit would be offset by the assembly labor, plus the closest that I can get to 150 sq. ft. (the largest size in PG that doesn't require construction permits) by kit is a 12x12 which I feel lacks an aesthetic appeal. The cheapest I've seen for those is around 3k. Also, my house is on a hill, without a driveway so it would make getting anything pre-built not an option.
   Anyone purchase a shed? What size/materials and for how much?
WHAT?

Yada

« Reply #321 on: May 20, 2021, 09:27:01 pm »
   To go back to the topic at the top of the thread. . . Has any boardies gotten a shed over the past year?
I'm interested and don't know how much I should be paying, especially with materials prices being jacked due to supply chain hinderances.
I'm looking for something between 140-150 sq. ft. and am trying to figure out if it's worth hiring someone to build from scratch. I'm trying to make the building play double duty of storage and possible place to escape to and either workout or work on songwriting/guitar practice (I do a lot of yelling and swearing as part of my process, my wife is not a fan).
   I would figure either way I'd hire someone to assemble any pre-cut shed kit so cost savings of the kit would be offset by the assembly labor, plus the closest that I can get to 150 sq. ft. (the largest size in PG that doesn't require construction permits) by kit is a 12x12 which I feel lacks an aesthetic appeal. The cheapest I've seen for those is around 3k. Also, my house is on a hill, without a driveway so it would make getting anything pre-built not an option.
   Anyone purchase a shed? What size/materials and for how much?

https://www.outerspacehome.com/

This is like 25k, but awesome.

« Reply #322 on: May 20, 2021, 09:46:03 pm »

That is pretty sweet, would also improve the value of the property,
 you could finance it with HELOC (interest would be tax deductible!)
slack

Yada

« Reply #323 on: May 20, 2021, 10:10:08 pm »

That is pretty sweet, would also improve the value of the property,
 you could finance it with HELOC (interest would be tax deductible!)

Sounds like a job for sidefi!

Starsky

« Reply #324 on: May 20, 2021, 10:16:45 pm »
:)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #325 on: May 21, 2021, 07:21:55 am »
You may want to consider having a concrete slab foundation poured. It adds a bit to the cost but your shed will last a whole lot longer.

evilizac

« Reply #326 on: May 21, 2021, 11:19:37 am »
Maaaaaaan. . . That's like exactly what my heart wants, but my brain can't justify. My wife is also fearful of borrowing against the equity of the house since she lived through her parents losing their house due to misspent funds (unnecessary and unfinished home remodeling and ummmm... indiscretions) from multiple re-fis/home equity loans. I can swing 5-7K cash (preferred) or maybe up to 8-10K with the right loan.
I was torn between pouring concrete and doing something like stilts on pier blocks or something like that. My dad claims he still knows how to do concrete work, but he's a mess as it is. Blergh.   
WHAT?

« Reply #327 on: May 21, 2021, 12:01:33 pm »
labor is going to be your biggest cost
so figure out what you need the pros to do and what you/dad/friends who will work for free

My SideFiReco™ would be:
talk to a loan person about a ReFi with cash out and see where the numbers land, shouldn't cost you more than a credit check
Personally not a big fan of the HELOC, but it's a waaay easier process, but understand all the deets before you go that route
The no closing costs often is why HELOC work better for a lot of people
but it's basically a credit card...but the interest is deductable

I really think you could pull some equity out to pay for a large part of this and not increase your monthly costs with the way the rates are (right now) and if it does, we're talking like $50 a month over 30 years

You definitely shouldn't do what her parents did...that is a real danger of this stuff and saw lots of people get in trouble doing this stuff
although I want to hear more about the indiscretions ;)

but pulling $10-15k of equity out and lowering your rate really isn't anywhere near to what they did
again, this should add value to your property, if done right
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 12:05:05 pm by Bamboo-Hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #328 on: July 20, 2021, 10:31:31 am »
Fridge door won't close properly. Meaning when you give it a push, it won't close automatically. You have to stand there and manually push the door shut. That usually works. Sometimes you have to push just right, multiple times. Fridge is 3-5 (?) years old, not sure, time blurs. I'm not handy, would rather not have to take the door off if i don't have to. Wife thinks this is "man's work," so I'm not going to ask her for help.

Advice on what to do regarding the fridge?

« Reply #329 on: July 20, 2021, 10:34:04 am »
a lot of times this has less to do with the door and more to do with the fridge being level
there are little adjusters on the feet, might want to start there

hrumpp...man's work...that's pretty damn sexist

also Youtube for this kind of stuff is a great resource
slack