Author Topic: once again the jokes write themselves...  (Read 193752 times)

Relaxer

Re: once again the jokes write themselves...
« Reply #195 on: September 04, 2008, 02:30:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
 let me ask you this question- do you think educating kids on the evils of drug use reduces drug use?
Yes

do you think teaching kids in drivers education about aggressive driving reduces aggressive driving?
Yes

we could teach all sorts of sex education, and it would probably not make a lick of difference in teen pregnancy rates, because, as you noted, they're gonna have sex anyway.
Well of course they're going to have sex anyway, but they will use protection more if they're taught to.

My answers to your questions are obvious. If you teach kids the harmful effects of drugs, it will reduce drug use. Will it eliminate it? Of course not. Will plenty of kids still use drugs? Of course. But for some of those kids hearing it, the message will get through. Conversely, if you refuse to teach kids about the evils of drug use, you will have more drug use happening. Same applies to the other examples you provided. I couldn't tell from what you wrote if you think prevention education is useful or useless, but I'd say it's pretty clear that it has its place.
oword

Venerable Bede

« Reply #196 on: September 04, 2008, 02:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by They call me Doctor Doom.:

you didn't answer my question.  

I did answer your question, you evidently didn't read my answer. [/b]
no, you didn't.  but, i can, in fact, assume that you either use protection or get an abortion in your world. . .and the fact that she (and other misguided souls like her) did neither is sufficient grounds to ridicule her and those policies.
OU812

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #197 on: September 04, 2008, 02:35:00 pm »
I did answer your question, and the fact that you either willfully or sincerely didn't understand my answer, leads me to believe there is not much point in discussing this further with you.  Have a good day.
_\|/_

manimtired

« Reply #198 on: September 04, 2008, 02:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  You must either have a very large cock or a very fat wallet for a Democrat to stoop to dating you.    :p  

Originally posted by manimtired:

Originally posted by kosmo:
  kosmette thought some the speeches last night sounded like high school class presidential hopeful speeches as well.  does that make her sexist?  

oh wait... sexist must be the new word the cult leaders want their members to repeat endlessly this week.

besides how is it sexist to compare her to a fictional character in a movie that happens to be female.  (scratches heads)
my g/f (a democrat) thought it was a low blow.  ya know..obama reminds me of (insert name of black guy running for high school office in a movie).  

you seem angry again today kosmo...relax. you guys have this one in the bag. [/b]
[/b]
im just good lookin'

vansmack

« Reply #199 on: September 04, 2008, 02:38:00 pm »
  no, you didn't.  but, i can, in fact, assume that you either use protection or get an abortion in your world. . .and the fact that she (and other misguided souls like her) did neither is sufficient grounds to ridicule her and those policies.
Come on Venerable, even you have to admit there is a lot of irony behind the woman who makes the decision to argue for or against the teaching of contraception in schools for the "largest state in the union" having a daughter who gets pregnant while she herself is, in fact,pregnant?
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #200 on: September 04, 2008, 02:39:00 pm »
  im just good lookin'
Well, we knew she wasn't with you for your brains or your charm so it must be that. Good for you.

And for the record, I'm ugly as shit...
27>34

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #201 on: September 04, 2008, 02:40:00 pm »

Originally posted by Arthwys:

For social conservatives, sex before marriage is a heck of a lot smaller a sin than either abortion or having a baby out of wedlock.  Hence why having the baby and getting hitched is going to be seen as a good example by the evangelical right.

I used to date a girl who was a staunch Catholic conservative, so I got a fair degree of insight into that world.   She had a whole lot of Catholic girlfriends, who all were staunchly pro-life and also very much about "wait until marriage," but one by one, they got knocked up, and very shortly after, engaged.   Despite all the abstinence talk, that seems to be increasingly the normal path for young people in conservative circles -- when everyone around you is a hypocrite you're not necessarily going to notice your own hypocrisy.  

Babies having babies is the norm in all Fundamentalist societies, whether it's the Taliban or the American right. [/b]
catholic girls are the biggest cock hungry whores out there....I thought everyone knew that.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #202 on: September 04, 2008, 02:41:00 pm »
Originally posted by Relaxer:

My answers to your questions are obvious. If you teach kids the harmful effects of drugs, it will reduce drug use. Will it eliminate it? Of course not. Will plenty of kids still use drugs? Of course. But for some of those kids hearing it, the message will get through. Conversely, if you refuse to teach kids about the evils of drug use, you will have more drug use happening. Same applies to the other examples you provided. I couldn't tell from what you wrote if you think prevention education is useful or useless, but I'd say it's pretty clear that it has its place.
what i'm basically getting is that kids are stupid and don't ultimately care what teachers tell them.  kids who want to do drugs, will do drugs, no matter how much education; kids who drive fast and get into accidents will still do the same thing no matter how much education you give them. . . but what do i know.
OU812

manimtired

« Reply #203 on: September 04, 2008, 02:42:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

im just good lookin'
Well, we knew she wasn't with you for your brains or your charm so it must be that. Good for you.

And for the record, I'm ugly as shit... [/b]
sorry i dont sit here writing novels on a music clubs message board to justify my political decisions.  i actually just enjoy getting you lefties worked up..honestly..and it seems ive succeeded. i bet you are ugly..thats why youre so surly.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #204 on: September 04, 2008, 02:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  Come on Venerable, even you have to admit there is a lot of irony behind the woman who makes the decision to argue for or against the teaching of contraception in schools for the "largest state in the union" having a daughter who gets pregnant while she herself is, in fact,pregnant?
that maybe true, and it is certainly amusing to people.  what i'm simply getting at is even with safe-sex education, how do we know she still wouldn't have gotten pregnant; as well as the underlying assumption by people that she should have just got an abortion.
OU812

« Reply #205 on: September 04, 2008, 02:50:00 pm »
My in-laws seem quite happy, though technically they were 21 when it happened.

And none of their relatives were governors, as far as I know.

Getting pregnant and married as a teenager is usually a pretty good guarantee of an unhappy life.   Unless you're a governor's daughter.   Life happens, but use a condom and life happens a lot less, and when you're mature enough to deal with it.   I am not judging the girl, I am judging the mom and the Republicans for holding her up as an example. [/QB]

Venerable Bede

« Reply #206 on: September 04, 2008, 02:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by pdx pollard:

yeah, let's ask barack obama's mother.. . .
well you could, but shes dead, happy life! [/b]
well, i'm sure that if she were alive, herr doom would certainly tell her that her baby barack would be a drag on her life and society at large since she was an unwed teenage mother.
OU812

ratioci nation

« Reply #207 on: September 04, 2008, 03:01:00 pm »
 well, i'm sure that if she were alive, herr doom would certainly tell her that her baby barack would be a drag on her life and society at large since she was an unwed teenage mother.
She wasn't unwed.

eltee

« Reply #208 on: September 04, 2008, 03:04:00 pm »
  i think its gone from giddy, to nervous, to angry to down right bummed out in this thread.  but NO, it  has not, b/c sonick tells me so.
I don't think anyone is nervous or angry. Maybe a little glib but that's still a part of the giddiness.   :p

Venerable Bede

« Reply #209 on: September 04, 2008, 03:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo:

and biden was cleared of those plagiarism charges.
btw, i just wanted to address this. . .i frankly don't know how he was cleared of this charge.  slate has two (two!!!) articles on this, so i would perhaps direct you  to  them.
OU812