Author Topic: Parenting issues  (Read 63882 times)

Re: Parenting issues
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2016, 04:34:41 pm »
Bob, you really do not know anything about me, but it is nice to know that I am in your thoughts.
not an insult, just a reference to some of the death metal sub-genres you post about, cause I don't get death metal.

killsally is very sensitive.
veeery
slack

killsaly

« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2016, 04:54:10 pm »
Not really. 

Space Freely

« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2020, 03:12:28 pm »
Question. What do you guys think about this idea?

My 12 year old wants to walk alone over a half mile to the grocery store and buy a bunch if things using cash.

She has never walked to the grocery store alone. She has never shopped alone. For the past two weeks she has proclaimed "COVID is over." She got this from the internet, not her parents.

Her mom said this was fine and was going to let her go without even asking me. But I got wind of it, and nixed the idea.

Now my daughter is slamming doors, throwing things, and cursing me out.

Is the idea of her going grocery shopping on her own for the first time in the middle of a global pandemic a good idea? Or am I being a bad dad by squashing her independence?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 03:16:38 pm by Space Freely »

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2020, 03:28:13 pm »
two issues
1. She is probably going to have to wear a mask, regardless of her opinion of covid. 
2. Let her out of the nest.   age isn't the factor, it's the maturity/street smarts of the kid.  She seems like she's got a lot of Moxy, so she'll probably be fine.  Just tell her 'don't go in the van unless they have candy'

You make it sound like 1/2 mile is a big deal
I can't believe she's never gone to a store on her own?  Not even when you guys are on vacation?

Although, not you are in a pickle as you said no and your wife said yes

oh and get used to this
Now my daughter is slamming doors, throwing things, and cursing me out.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 03:31:31 pm by Bunker Inspector ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|lıl »
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2020, 03:32:53 pm »
two issues
1. She is probably going to have to wear a mask, regardless of her opinion of covid. 
2. Let her out of the nest.   age isn't the factor, it's the maturity/street smarts of the kid.  She seems like she's got a lot of Moxy, so she'll probably be fine.  Just tell her 'don't go in the van unless they have candy'

Although, not you are in a pickle as you said no and your wife said yes

This is why you discuss parenting issues as a team rather than trying to be sneaky and letting your kid do it "since he's downstairs and won't notice."

Now my wife is telling me to suck it and fuck off.

« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2020, 04:30:14 pm »

I didn't know you were that flexible
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2020, 04:39:56 pm »

I didn't know you were that flexible

There are a million funny replies to that one, but I'll let you be the comedian today!

hutch

« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2020, 04:54:28 pm »
I’m with you Space but nobody cares what I think

Space Freely

« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2020, 02:03:29 pm »
So for those of you with kids in school K-12, what are your options next year and what are you planning on doing?

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2020, 02:07:55 pm »
MCPS is hosting a webinar at 3:30 today on this very topic.  My youngest will follow the county program.

Space Freely

« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2020, 02:53:44 pm »
MCPS is hosting a webinar at 3:30 today on this very topic.  My youngest will follow the county program.

Fairfax County is giving parents the choice between:

1. Two days full time in school, with two days of canned asynchronous learning and homework time at home.
2. Four days of full time synchronous, online distance learning, with no days in school.
In either scenario, every Monday is a teacher workday.

I imagine MCPS will be simliar?

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2020, 02:55:04 pm »

1. Two days full time in school, with two days of canned asynchronous learning and homework time at home.
2. Four days of full time synchronous, online distance learning, with no days in school.

If this approach leads the next generation to put question marks at the ends of sentences, I'll be considering homeschooling.

Space Freely

« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2020, 03:14:19 pm »

If this approach leads the next generation to put question marks at the ends of sentences, I'll be considering homeschooling.

Haha. I know I will have between 20-25 vacation days i need to burn between September and December. No matter which choice we make, our kid's going to have a parent with a master's degree in education available for many days as a tutor.

Space Freely

« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2020, 08:29:26 am »
So my kid went over to her best and only friend's house yesterday. It was her first in-person contact with another kid since school crashed in March.

They were hanging out, and my daughter made a disparaging comment abut Trump, and her friend told her that both of her parents voted for Trump in 2016. Apparently the reason was "because he's better for the military." My daughter's position on the military is "I hate the military."

She didn't really want to talk about it much more than that. It actually doesn't surprise me that much, her friend's parents are white and i know their work is somehow connected to Defense stuff. And I'm fine with that, it's not like I'm trying to have a connection with my friend's parents.

So what advice do i give my kid? I think she's pretty disgusted by the parent's action, and by extension is troubled about he friendship.

Fuck living in DC. :If we lived in Colorado or Vermont this wouldn't even be an issue.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2020, 08:56:10 am »
At that age aren't kids just regurgitating what they hear their parents say? I'd encourage her to be accepting of people who have different ideas. A bit too early to get hung up on politics.