Author Topic: The 2020 thread....  (Read 444375 times)

hutch

Re: The 2020 thread....
« Reply #1905 on: April 09, 2020, 03:33:24 pm »
They dropped out cause they were out of money and didn’t have a prayer and preferred dropping out to losing really badly. I mean how did Pete and Amy do in SC and how where they going to do on Super Tuesday?

It’s called politics

Geezus

« Reply #1906 on: April 09, 2020, 03:33:25 pm »
Ok but that’s one state - her home state- and he would still have broken the 15% threshold and gotten delegates!
of course I'm joking
but she was a threat to biden, even if it was just 5% of the vote...and pete taking another 10%
that would have let Bernie win a few more races
slack

hutch

« Reply #1907 on: April 09, 2020, 03:34:59 pm »
Read my post above

It’s called politics

« Reply #1908 on: April 09, 2020, 04:05:30 pm »
I mean how did Pete and Amy do in SC and how where they going to do on Super Tuesday?

It's really hard to say what would have happened if they stayed in, yes they would have lost badly, but enough to give the bern enough wiggle room to get more delegates than Biden after ST and that would have changed the calculus a lot

Whether it was coordinated or not (I now believe it was, but don't think the DNC demanded it, they cut a deal on future involvement)....it did make a big impact for Biden, no doubt about it
That bloomberg flopped so bad was a surprise for me
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1909 on: April 09, 2020, 04:16:10 pm »
Can we just call a spade a spade and stop this rigged talk and admit he ran a terrible campaign?

regardless of the quality of the campaign (which i thought was pretty good, clear messaging, but whatever), a campaign can't win if its ideas are both polarizing and espoused by less than 30% of the target population.  if someone fundamentally opposes the concept of universal healthcare, all the marketing in the world isn't going to change that.  bernie was able to mobilize a vocal minority, but got no traction with the majority.
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #1910 on: April 09, 2020, 04:24:13 pm »
Poppycock Sidehatch

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #1911 on: April 09, 2020, 04:37:51 pm »
a campaign can't win if its ideas are both polarizing and espoused by less than 30% of the target population.  if someone fundamentally opposes the concept of universal healthcare, all the marketing in the world isn't going to change that.
See, I would argue you’ve thrown out there the perfect example of why Bernies campaign was bad. “Medicare for All” is wildly popular even among a stunning group of GOPers. A public option, even moreso. Want to know what is supported by less than 30% of the population? Banning personal health insurance. And that’s what Bernie chose to demand - and would make no compromise on with regard to his platform.

A lot of the general principles of Bernie’s ideas have wide support, but he also demanded the most idealistic, narrow specific version of them. He had four years to build a coalition around 90% of his platform and he would tolerate no compromise, no middle-ground. He was only open to people joining his coalition if they unquestioningly decided he was right on everything and passed a purity test. He attacked his closest ideological comrades.

And that is why Bernie supporters continue to say he was cheated and it was rigged — because to be a Bernie supporter in 2020 means being a person who believes Bernie is always right and anyone standing in his way must be 100% wrong. Same as Trump supporters. Same as David Koresh’s supporters. The cognitive dissonance is so thick you can cut it with a knife.
LVMH

« Reply #1912 on: April 09, 2020, 04:38:41 pm »
slack

gavroche

« Reply #1913 on: April 09, 2020, 06:28:10 pm »
They dropped out cause they were out of money and didn’t have a prayer and preferred dropping out to losing really badly. I mean how did Pete and Amy do in SC and how where they going to do on Super Tuesday?

It’s called politics

Geezus

We get back to what I said above:
Biden didn't wipe the floor with the competition. He won a single primary (of a State the Dems will never carry in November) and all of the moderates dropped out. (They were all gone by Super Tuesday).  Similarly, Biden won a single primary and his lackluster fundraising started to pick up.  The competition was scared that Bernie would win with a plurality (like Trump did) and so everyone coalesced around Biden.

This thing was heading towards a brokered convention (kinda scary to imagine a brokered convention in the age of COVID-19) until the party establishment came together around a single candidate.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 06:30:50 pm by gavroche »

hutch

« Reply #1914 on: April 09, 2020, 06:48:06 pm »
Well I understand your point but:

Candidates doing poorly and whose $
always drop out and support the eventual winner (often hoping for future considerations)

Having it in the bag on Super Tuesday by definition means it was a romp

Amy K had hardly any votes in NV and SC...like a few percentage points...how was she to continue?

I liked Bloomberg more than Biden - at least at time- but when I had to vote I knew to go for Biden because Sanders had zero chance of beating Trump

Likewise many Amy and Pete supporters would have done same even if they had stayed in and the candidates realized this

You are forgetting the arc of the campaign...People had lost faith in Biden but by Super Tuesday he looked very viable so people came back to him

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #1915 on: April 09, 2020, 06:55:56 pm »
The competition was scared that Bernie would win with a plurality (like Trump did)
Trump had a delegate majority by a pretty comfortable margin in 2016, not a plurality.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #1916 on: April 09, 2020, 06:56:52 pm »
And Pete was dead when he came in behind Biden in NV

Had he come in ahead of Biden he might  have had a chance to do a bit better in SC but when he got that blown out it was over

Space Freely

« Reply #1917 on: April 09, 2020, 06:59:23 pm »
"like" and "Bloomburg" are two words I'd never use in he same sentence.

Another billionaire president? No thanks.

hutch

« Reply #1918 on: April 09, 2020, 07:00:26 pm »
Is Trump a billionaire?
Prove it

gavroche

« Reply #1919 on: April 09, 2020, 07:23:02 pm »
The competition was scared that Bernie would win with a plurality (like Trump did)
Trump had a delegate majority by a pretty comfortable margin in 2016, not a plurality.

Trump had a delegate majority with a plurality of the votes. He only got 45% of the votes in the Republican primary, total.