Author Topic: The 2020 thread....  (Read 443895 times)

hutch

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The 2020 thread....
« Reply #2222 on: June 25, 2020, 12:48:27 am »
Kind of amazing

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/24/bidens-big-lead-in-the-polls-could-be-partly-behind-markets-drop-and-may-lead-to-more-weakness.html

"Biden’s big lead in the polls could be partly behind market’s drop"... or it might not.  gawd this stuff drives me insaner.

first off, the stock market is no the economy, in fact it's clearly decoupled.

second, unless it's a clear, undeniable signal - like a war, natural disaster, etc. - tying a piece of news to the stock market's one-day performance is either guesswork or spin.  a case in point: i read several articles today on the same topic with very different conclusions.  many attributed today's movement in the stock market to the resurgence of the coronovirus, while another discussed how concern over November's results are not affecting the stock markets at all.

Here’s why stock-market distress over spiking coronavirus cases is intensifying
Coronavirus Surge Raises Alarm as States Report New Highs (scroll down about 2/3)
The stock market no longer cares whether Trump wins
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #2223 on: June 25, 2020, 07:27:58 pm »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/elections-2020/showing-strength-with-white-voters-biden-builds-lead-in-battleground-states/ar-BB15WSW0

FWIW Nate Silver gives the polling outfit above- Siena- an A+ rating with 0.3% Republican lean

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2224 on: June 26, 2020, 07:38:04 am »
i was going to post the latest word salad from he should be removed from the white house, but it just makes my head hurt even more thinking about it... oh hell here it is... but her emails...

Daniel Dale
@ddale8

Here's the transcript of Trump's response when he was asked what are his top priorities for a second term.
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1276341601632206848?s=20

T.Rex

hutch

« Reply #2225 on: June 26, 2020, 09:22:52 am »

« Reply #2226 on: June 29, 2020, 08:33:39 am »
should we just ignore this stuff and act like it's the opposite

I really hope that voter turnout is insane in Nov...all about the suppression of vote that we need to keep an eye on
slack

hutch

« Reply #2227 on: June 29, 2020, 09:50:00 am »
Better than polls read this

http://centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/states-of-play-pennsylvania/

When I say Trump is going down I never mean we can stop fighting or even worrying

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2228 on: June 29, 2020, 12:32:25 pm »

remind me, how did that work out 4 years ago?  oh wait...
<sig>

« Reply #2229 on: June 29, 2020, 01:43:43 pm »

remind me, how did that work out 4 years ago?  oh wait...
I do think it was different 4 years ago
we were still in Obama bliss (even though mitch tried his hardest to rain on that parade for 6 years)
economy and unemployment were rocking

Songs like "work from home" (ha, kinda funny now) were playing all the time
Drake and the Chainsmokers ruled the airwaves

We had no idea what was in store with Trump (well, Hillary knew!)
Lots of the undecided voters were like "Let's take a chance on Trump...how bad could it be"

I just don't think there will be 'take a chance' voters anymore.  You either think he walks on water or is the most vile person alive.
I don't think there is a big undecided block this election (will wait to hear more about this)

I'm also thinking more and more there was some major hanky panky in the election results
Possibly why his 'election review committee' was disbanded (not because they didn't find stuff...but that they started to get close to finding stuff)
But that sucks and is exactly what the GOP and Putin want...for us not to trust our elections!

Sucks, because the Dem should just be able to win by squeaking out 270 EC votes
but if it's close there will be questions

so it's got to be a massive upset (hopefully that will change the outlook of congress by proxy too)
Fear is Biden could actually get 6 million more votes and lose the EC
God that would be a disaster and even worse the GOP would be like "seems totally fair to me"
slack

« Reply #2230 on: June 29, 2020, 02:11:11 pm »
And whether you like him or not Roberts (and RBG hanging on) are probably the only thing standing between us and a full fledged totalitarian fascist state.

So spare me the whining about how you don’t like this Roberts vote or that..we all wish he was more liberal but he was appointed by a Republican president..have you seen the other conservative justices????
not sure I would have predicted Chief Justice John Roberts as the lynchpin to keeping the US together
I'm sure there are some pissed off Federalist Society donors right now

Trump may try to increase the court just so he can make sure it's stacked against Roberts conscience

Not sure how to read this...but seems good as the CFPB is kept in place
Consumer Financial Protection Bureau is unconstitutional because the agency is led by one director who can only be removed “for cause,” but leaves rest of statute creating the CFPB in place

Also, I find it lame that they didn't rule on this
#SCOTUS declines to step into dispute over whether Texas must allow mail-in voting for all, w/out an excuse, during COVID-19 pandemic. No dissent recorded, although Sotomayor urges court of appeals to consider issue “well in advance of the November election”

couldn't think of a more time-sensitive decision
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 02:17:00 pm by Legal-fiction-hatch ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|lıl »
slack

« Reply #2231 on: June 29, 2020, 05:32:33 pm »

Pamela Northam @FirstLadyVA
.@GovernorVA and I illuminated the Executive Mansion this weekend in honor of #PrideMonth
 and the fight for LGBTQ+ rights that began 51 years ago at #Stonewall, and continues today. Virginia is for all Lovers - no matter who you are, who you love, or how you identify.
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2232 on: June 29, 2020, 07:34:11 pm »
file under "dem pipe dream"... been seeing a lot of chatter about this:

Trump in ‘fragile’ mood and may drop out of 2020 race if poll numbers don’t improve, GOP insiders tell Fox News

if he did do it, he'd obviously spin it as "don't need to run, since i've already accomplished so much. also, media/elections/vote by mail/etc. so unfair they won't give me chance in this rigged election."  pence would pick up the republican mantle and be the november fall guy.

personally, i don't see his ego allowing him to quit. 

another theory is that if he loses, he'll quit before biden's inauguration, and president pence would then give him a blanket pardon for all federal crimes.  NY will still want to have a word with him...
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #2233 on: June 29, 2020, 07:56:17 pm »
These stories insult one’s intelligence

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2234 on: June 29, 2020, 08:24:22 pm »
file under "dem pipe dream"... been seeing a lot of chatter about this:

Trump in ‘fragile’ mood and may drop out of 2020 race if poll numbers don’t improve, GOP insiders tell Fox News

if he did do it, he'd obviously spin it as "don't need to run, since i've already accomplished so much. also, media/elections/vote by mail/etc. so unfair they won't give me chance in this rigged election."  pence would pick up the republican mantle and be the november fall guy.

personally, i don't see his ego allowing him to quit. 

another theory is that if he loses, he'll quit before biden's inauguration, and president pence would then give him a blanket pardon for all federal crimes.  NY will still want to have a word with him...
This is not happening but if we are going to play hypothetical world, if Trump is dropping out, the repudiation of all things Trump would stain Pence. You’d probably get some sort of weird Romney/Rubio unity ticket that ran to the center.
LVMH